PEAX Equipment

Trekking Poles

golfer

Kicking around the idea of purchasing a set of trekking poles to add to the arsenal. What are some things to look for when purchasing them? Any pros and cons are greatly appreciated!

I've used them for a long time, and worn out/broken a bunch. I've used twist lock, flick/flip lock, and fixed length. My current favorite all-arounder's are the fixed length BD FLZ; I had the carbon version and they were sweet but I am hard on poles and the replacement cost wasn't worth it to me. They are light, fold up small enough to go inside a pack (I like to minimize stuff on the outside), and there isn't much to go wrong. Adjustable is nice if you're going to use it as part of your shelter system. My favorite for ultralight summer duty are the Gossamer gear Light Trek III. In general, I've had better luck in durability with the "low end" version of "high end" manufacturers. I.E. the entry level BD poles.

I wish I could help, but I went for the best deal/cheapest I could find on Amazon, lol. I've never used them but Randy and the guys make a pretty good case for them.

Golfer, I was in your shoes a couple years ago. The advise I was given was to get poles with flip locks and cork handles. I bought a set of Mountainsmith Tellurite poles. As they are the only ones I have used, I can’t compare them to any others, but they work great. I wish I would have bought them years ago. Only down side is if your friends are like mine, they’ll give chit about your old man poles.

Last edited:
I definitely intended on getting ones that can collapse and are able to fit in my pack. One of my buddies used them for the first time last year and said it was definitely a game changer. So if I can find lite and collapsible I think I’m gonna bite the bullet and get some. I can already here a few of my buddies flipping me shit about them.

Personally I use Leki poles because I didn't know any better when I bought them. I know people using these Amazon poles with great success. I probably won't buy Leki again after seeing the performance of poles that are a fraction of the cost.

Get the lever locks, I started using them two years ago. They really help going Up and down hill. They are great resting tools while hauling heavy loads!

I started out with Leki twist locks. In my opinion, they were crap. I am currently using Black Diamond z-pole with Flick-lock to make them adjustable. I had earlier z-poles without the flick-lock that were not adjustable, but made little difference to me. I still use those poles, but they are mostly just backup or shared. I had them placed around my tent one night thinking they would be bumped and warn me if a furry critter was checking out the tent. Next morning much of the foam and straps had been eaten by vermin. I guess I was not easily disturbed.:sleep:

I used a set of Diamondback lever locks this year for the first time after getting the Kifaru gun bearer set up and it changed my movement incredibly. More stable less effort and had the gun at a much more accessible point. Further, they saved me from at LEAST a bad hip bruise if not some kind of break twice when I stepped on slush with ice underneath coming back to camp in the dark. I bent one of them but literally said a prayer of thanks for those jokers.

I've always used fixed length z-poles. I'm a firm believer in keeping things simple when possible. They're stupid light, and plenty strong.

Another happy user of the BD Z-poles. I have had mine for going on 5 years of pretty steady use. Trekking poles have been a game changer for me. Sometimes I wonder how I successful navigate stairs without them. They really help with stability, distributing weight, and saving my knees. Stay away from the twist locks; they always fail. Go for fixed length or flick locks.

I use poles with an 'L' handle. I put a lot of weight on them going up. It limits your choices.
Flip locks are the only ones that I have found so far that handle the weight and don't collapse. I take the straps off of them
when i get them. If you need to access your spray/pistol, whatever, having your hands attached to your poles
will hinder the process

I bought a pair of Hungry Hiker trekking poles off Amazon, they have held up well over the years. I originally got them just to have them, ( it was recommended), but once I used them, I noticed a significant difference in my ability to cover more ground with less effort, I'm not, nor my legs are as worn out at the end of the day, and I can carry a bit more weight when using them.

I bought a pair of Hungry Hiker trekking poles off Amazon, they have held up well over the years.

I have the same poles. I believe I got them on "Prime Day" a few years ago for something like $30. They have held up very well and really are a game changer when it comes to stability while climbing around and helps reduce the load on my knees. And they only weigh 1 pound for the set.

I will always use trekking poles now

Regardless of which ones you get, IMHO they are a necessary item. I have come to rely on them! Great purchase.

Maybe this is just works for me (cause I’ve never heard anybody mention this), but . . . I have an old bipod that i’ve modified a bit. The modifications were mostly to the grip and to make it a bit quieter. I use the bipod for one of my poles and a cheap trekking pole on the other side. This way I have an ability to get off a bit longer standing shot via my bipod (that’s already in hand) quickly if need be. This trick has helped me more than once and allowed a quality opportunities that I otherwise wouldn’t have had.

And more to your post, as others have said, get a cheap pair first and see what you like and don’t like. Then go and spend the money if you feel you need to.

I run one pole, its great for a little extra balance/pull. I've got a cheapo mountainsmith twist lock that's served me well for close to 100 mountain miles now and have no complaints. Also works great fully extended to 4 feet for log crossings over shallow creeks where I can touch the bottom, or as a shooting rest to lean on with your front hand strapped in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back