Trekking Pole Advice

bowhuntmontana

I have been looking into getting trekking poles. Just getting started into the research and looking for advice, carbon vs aluminum, locking mechanism, brands, anti shock, etc? I don't need convincing on the benefits of using trekking poles (I'm sold), just looking for your opinions and reasoning on features and brands. If you have a specific model you really love, tell me all about it.

I like a trekking pole or heavy-duty monopod that rises to head level so that when I'm not using the pole to balance my body, I'm using it to steady my binos.

I have had two pair of Leki's, both were twist locks. Both were POS in my opionion. Once the poles got wet or any dibris in the poles, the twists went too hell. I can't speak for the SpeedLocks.

A couple years ago I picked up a pair of Black Diamond z-poles. I am more than impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJG9xNGDe7g

Very light, very durable and breaks down to nothing. Many times I have folded them up and threaded them through my backpack belt when I didn't want to stop and put them in the pack.

Only downside, for some, is that they don't adjust in length. Minor detail in my opinion, but folk that haven't used them seem to bring it up. (schmalts).

I have had two pair of Leki's, both were twist locks.

I also had the Leki twist locks. They sucked.

Returned them and paid a little extra for the speed lock. They rock. When I am done hiking, I fold them up and attach them to my pack until I need them for the way out.

I'm going to give you my redneck/cheap skate experience and because I am on Walmart prostaff;) I bought some last year from Costco (carbon fiber) and they got all chewed up in the rocks and ended up breaking before the hunt was over. The year before and this year I went back to the ones sold at Walmart and they worked great. I'm sure they are a bit heavier than others and possibly not as durable. My brother in Alaska I think uses a Leki that he's had forever. I have yet to see one used up in that country that has the basket still on it. Seems they all get sucked off in the tundra or rocks. I only use them on this one hunt so I didn't see the need to spend 80+ dollars on a set.

-

I'm sure I've had ten pairs or more. I've broken several in half, bent a few, and had the mechanism fail on a few. I am a big fan of fixed poles in general; if adjustment is necessary I like the "lever-lock" mechanism (only one I've had that hasn't failed). I've tried the Z poles and like them. The cheaper/heavier aluminum models by BD and Komperdell have actually held up the best thus far.

You couldn't pay me to use the "anti-shock" models, but that's just me. I want direct feedback from my poles such that they improve my ability to make minor kinetic adjustments. I've broken both pairs of carbon poles I've had but will buy more for some applications because the weight savings can be so significant.

There is a slightly adjustable version of the z-pole style that is nice if you're using the poles as part of your shelter (i.e. tarptent).

In the pic my hat sits on top of a Gossamer Gear Lighttrek 3 at mile thirty-something of a 50 mile day trip through the Gros Ventre. They are super light poles, and awesome, but I snapped one in half running downhill from a lightning storm.

1012234_975477418709_283133448_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We bought Easton CTR70ion Carbon poles from Camofire. If you email them they can tell you if they still have them in stock and at what price. They worked really well, had great locks, and were very light in my limited experience.

I also have some Black Diamond poles I've hunted with for a couple seasons - one thing to consider for metal vs carbon is noise. I used to walk with one all the time for balance but was always seemed to clank it off of a rock or my bow. I carry a flick lock one now on my back and use to to steady my binos, which makes adjustability handy. Folding ones look handy, but I use trekking poles for shelter support too, so they don't work for my purposes.

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en...k-trekking-pole-BD1121560000ALL1.html#start=8

If you're not in a hurry to purchase trekking poles . . . . I would keep an eye on http://www.camofire.com/. I purchased a set of Easton trekking poles.

I purchased them primarily for backpacking. They worked great for me when crossing streams (hopping from one rock to another or crossing logs). I typically used one and gave the other to my youngest son to use.

Flick lock is the only way to go... I prefer the Black Diamond brand. Check to see that the handle feels good in your hand, some don't for me. I also load my wrist straps when packing heavy loads. Some straps don't adjust small enough for the right fit, or are too narrow to offer good support.

The small baskets work well in rocks/dry ground. I usually have the full snow baskets on up here, otherwise when trekking through tundra, you plunge the tip in far enough that it sticks and yanks your arm off when you moving forward expecting it to come out. They do hang up in the brush, but at times it not a bad thing.

I do like to adjust my poles, usually on steep terrain with heavy loads or extended climbs, or even side hilling for long periods. Also nice to be able to adjust to use them for a shelter, bino prop, or antler spreader for your pack, in areas of limited stick availability.

Some poles seem a lot stronger than others, I bought a set of Black Diamond Contour. They seem really rigid and solid compared to other models I looked at.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back