Train Kills 23 Elk.

You would be amazed at how many animals are hit by trains, when I was running along the Yellowstone I personally would hit a few deer per week. During the bad winter of 10-11 I've heard stories and seen pictures of 80 antelope being mowed down on the hi line from the entire herd hanging out along the right away.

Last edited:
In heavy snow years the toll trains take on moose in Alaska is pretty sobering. But to lose 23 elk at once is quite sad.

I'm not sure what goes through the mind of animals? I can't count how many times i've had my Jeep sliding sideways trying to stop from hitting a muley or elk that ran out of nowhere, and stopped in the middle of the road.

I haven't hit one yet, but i've come so close.

During the bad winter of 10-11 I've heard stories and seen pictures of 80 antelope being mowed down on the hi line from the entire herd hanging out along the right away.

Quite a few more in this group. The other direction was just as bad.

DSC_7936.jpg

I'm not sure what goes through the mind of animals? I can't count how many times i've had my Jeep sliding sideways trying to stop from hitting a muley or elk that ran out of nowhere, and stopped in the middle of the road.

I haven't hit one yet, but i've come so close.
You keep sliding sideways trying to miss critters, you'll be the one in trouble. I'd rather smack one than risk a worse accident. mtmuley

Crazy. This really bothers people because it all happened at once. I think people would be surprised to know how many big game animals are killed annually by vehicles/trains. I have counted over twenty elk killed on the stretch of interstate between Jefferson City and Clancy in the last year alone. Probably more that died out of site of the road. It would be interesting to know the rates of death-cause of all the Elkhorns elk between vehicles,hunters,predators, and natural deaths.

One time when I worked in Colorado I was driving a mountain road that paralleled some tracks and came upon what looked to be at least a dozen dead elk on the tracks in this flat of p-j. I felt sick seeing all those carcasses rotting there. I guess it happens more than you'd think.

Back