"Tracking gun sales"

What a joke!

I felt sort of behind the times a couple weeks ago when I went out to dinner with some co-workers...they all started asking about this venmo crap when the bill came.

They started scanning each others phones, blah blah this and that.

I walked to the register with a Ulysses Grant, came back, they were still scanning this, yapping about that...

Its unbelievable...technology is a PITA sometimes.

It sure didn't seem to make anything "easier"...near as I could tell, while I finished off my ice tea waiting for them to complete all their venmo transactions.
I'll remember to bring cash on our elk hunt ;)

I worked the gun counter at a sporting good store. Card purchases were listed under certain categories. A lot fo the got put into the misc or clothing for the
casrd statement. Mostly to hide from the wives. But asnyone looking at the purchase from the card co side can see what you listed it under
I guess with what I do we aren't looking at this data nor do we probably receive it as well. Interesting stuff but, I still fail to see how it's really an issue if it's only used for credit card company records. It's not like they are easily handing this information over to any gov't authority. They would quickly be sued IMO.

I guess with what I do we aren't looking at this data nor do we probably receive it as well. Interesting stuff but, I still fail to see how it's really an issue if it's only used for credit card company records. It's not like they are easily handing this information over to any gov't authority. They would quickly be sued IMO.
See Snowden or tax return breaches. Once tracked it is “available”.

See Snowden or tax return breaches. Once tracked it is “available”.
Yeah I guess you are on track there. Some three letter agencies seem to have an unlimited reach into data under the "t"word after the NYC/DC happenings. Not that I know or have any knowledge of such. But just a thought.

What a joke!

I felt sort of behind the times a couple weeks ago when I went out to dinner with some co-workers...they all started asking about this venmo crap when the bill came.

They started scanning each others phones, blah blah this and that.

I walked to the register with a Ulysses Grant, came back, they were still scanning this, yapping about that...

Its unbelievable...technology is a PITA sometimes.

It sure didn't seem to make anything "easier"...near as I could tell, while I finished off my ice tea waiting for them to complete all their venmo transactions.
The venmo guys are all googling "which US bill has Ulysses Grant on it."

amante? @wllm

do they have amante outside of Boulder?

i used to click clack paddy whack my way into amante on the reg to get a double espresso before hitting up lee hill/lefthand canyon for road rides.
There is one below our office in Lodo 🤷‍♂️

Boston has sold it’s soul to dunkies 🤮

Thus I enjoy a bespoke coffee when I visit the office or make one at home… Gus likes the latter as I typically can be convinced to make a puppuccino while I’m at it.

There is one below our office in Lodo 🤷‍♂️

Boston has sold it’s soul to dunkies 🤮

Thus I enjoy a bespoke coffee when I visit the office or make one at home… Gus likes the latter as I typically can be convinced to make a puppuccino while I’m at it.

boy i used to be a coffee snob, that was mostly when i lived in boulder and spent most my free time on road bikes tho.

now though, i'm with coffee like some folks are with beer. in that, i have two favorite coffees: cheap coffee and free coffee.

i still buy a package of dazbog or a can of illy from time to time tho.

I'm going research how to change all my CC charges and other online transactions to be listed as "Orange Mocha Frappacino". Then anyone tracking me will probably figure I'm not worth their time

Orange Mocha Frappacinos Zoolander - Copy.jpg

Paying cash saves money generally and more so on guns. Gun shops have to pay about 3% to process your card. You offer to buy if you get at discount of the processing fee. There's zero reason for them to turn you down because they won't get the money anyway. If they decline anyhow I take my business elsewhere.

Paying cash saves money generally and more so on guns. Gun shops have to pay about 3% to process your card. You offer to buy if you get at discount of the processing fee. There's zero reason for them to turn you down because they won't get the money anyway. If they decline anyhow I take my business elsewhere.

No doubt the logic is there, but I rarely get any business to agree when I suggest it.

No doubt the logic is there, but I rarely get any business to agree when I suggest it.
Generally, a CC fee should be figured into the selling price so if you're wanting to pay cash you should expect a discount. Like you said, try getting it.
How many people use a CC to buy firearms? If I wanted to hide the transaction from snooping eyes I'd pay cash.

That being said if someone accepts a CC I'll use it as much as possible for the reward points. A lot of places prefer a CC due to potential theft of cash.
What's tacky is a GB seller charging full list price plus a 3% CC fee and ridiculous shippng. $14.95 to ship a 2 ounce item is crazy.

It strikes me how often I've experienced the same thing. Then there are certain services/businesses that will almost demand cash. They hate the credit card fees. They'd even rather have a check. They know what it adds up to for them.

Regarding the original topic, I'll add the concept of incrementalism. Death by a thousand cuts. It doesn't seem like that important of an issue (to many - not to me).

Then you realize one day that we have created the federalized (or state/national) gun registration database that had long been illegal. If the feds had demanded that "every gun be registered" all at once and by a certain deadline, there would have been huge resistance.

Many won't resist because even a small inconvenience seems to much. I.E., the convenience of a cashless transaction versus cash (privacy/liberty/freedom). By doing it incrementally, some don't even realize what they have allowed (given up). They haven't realized the true cost.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back