Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Toxic Broadheads

I used them for a season and a half on whitetails (5-6 deer shot). Won two packs of them in a promotion and gave them a try. Results on good shots were a tremendous amount of blood loss and a quick clean kill - though any broadhead should do that. Killed 3 or 4 deer with them. Where the problem came and why I stopped using them is on the "not so great" shots. Took a hard quartering away shot that i probably should not have taken. The result which I partially blame on the weird curved blades was a glancing shot with the arrow practically ricocheting off. The tip was not able to make any penetration before the blades made contact with the hide and glanced away. One other poor shot was too far back. I believe that if I had a traditional fixed or expanding blade head I would have had the chance of at least nicking the vitals, but the relatively small cut diameter did not hit anything lethal.

I don't want to blame the broadheads for my poor shots - which may have resulted in unrecovered deer regardless of the broadheads I used, but they left me with enough uncertainty that I would not use them anymore. One other thing to consider is the near inability to practice with them. The coring style of blade tears up targets and are extremely difficult to pull out - much better to push them through the back of the target. Even the practice head was a pain in the a$$.

Thanks for the informative review. I kind of imagined they would be hell on a target and difficult to pull out.

I saw a deflection test on a search (I'd have to find it again to post it) that shockingly enough demonstrated the opposite of what you would think. But of course it wasn't really a scientific control or anything.

I had an experience years ago with a new product (Not Archery) that was a radical idea and possible considered a gimmick by some hunting authors. I couldn't wait to try out this new product and bought some right away. Man the were great on paper and impressive. Until I shot a antelope and a deer with them. The new concept was the Ballistic Tip bullets. They failed miserably on impact. Even though Nosler has since realized their failings and improved on them, I still can not bring myself to use them again. I can understand your conclusion on these broadheads.

Thanks again for your input...

An issue I have with the design, is all that surface area from the curved blades adds additional friction, reducing penetration. I'm sure they work well on antelope & deer but I wouldn't use them for elk, moose, bear etc..

So I chose to use these this season after shooting the Cyclones last year with great success on deer. Three good hits and all three fell within sight as anyone would expect with a solid hit. All three were pass throughs from 22 yards to 35 yards with 400 grain total finished arrow weight from a 60lb bow. I wish now I would have taken photos of the internal devastation and gruesome blood trails. I tested both of these heads with many other popular fixed blade heads in Rhinehart targets carefully shooting at unshot areas. The toxic was almost always equal or a greater depth than most three blade designs. You guys make of that what you will but I will take 4.7” of cutting surface over 2”-3” going the same depth any day. One big key to penetration that is all to often overlooked is arrow flight from a well tuned bow. It is the biggest momentum thief in my humble opinion. I am a big fan of many of today’s fixed and mechanical heads and have great faith in them all that if I do my due diligence, they will perform at least adequately. There are so many variables in shooting a deer with an arrow that it is virtually impossible to say what happens to one person will or won’t happen to another given almost identical circumstances. I have seen some deer run 100 yards with a 2”+ Rage hit and some only take one step and fall over and equal results with three blade Muzzys and Slick Tricks etc. Each animal reacts differently in its own way. I say you use what you like and have confidence in and have fun hunting!

Update on my buddies moose hunt with bone broadheads. He got a great shot at a 42 inch bull and got a complete pass through. Though the broadhead didn't leave a massive blood trail as most of the blood stayed internal and went into the cavity, there was a trackable, albeit short blood trail with blood coming out both sides and the bull died in approximately 70 yds. Those are the kind of results I like to see on a big critter like a bull moose.

Sorry to hijack the thread from the toxic broadhead, but I thought folks might find that info useful.

You do you, I think they are atrocious though . Fred Bear would be rolling over in his grave lol
Fred Bear had many patents on archery equipment. Many of which people said would never amount to anything. But most did, like the screw on tips. And he did not charge a royalty fee for use of his designs. As an inventor himself, he would probably give the person who designed these some credit for thinking out of the box. But maybe I'm wrong, I didn't know him personally.

Fred Bear had many patents on archery equipment. Many of which people said would never amount to anything. But most did, like the screw on tips. And he did not charge a royalty fee for use of his designs. As an inventor himself, he would probably give the person who designed these some credit for thinking out of the box. But maybe I'm wrong, I didn't know him personally.

they are not that out of the box. Back in the 70s stuff like this was all over. Arrowheads that would core an apple were a fad (briefly). They were corkscrew designed, or tube designed. All has the same principles as the one here. None lasted.

I don't know what Fred would do, but I doubt he is rolling much of anywhere right now. Hell of a cool dude back in the day though. Love his bows and his hat.

Just an update to my choice in using the Toxic broadheads this season. Shot a large mature doe yesterday with the toxic. 20 yards complete pass through and amazing bleed out. Went through two ribs on the entry and two on exit. One thing I would like to mention is that I didn’t see any “meatworms” or I just didn’t notice them anyway. I’ve shot quite a few deer just as yesterday and other than heavier blood loss than with other heads I’ve used, I saw no difference in performance be it good or bad. I’ll keep using these and send updates as the season progresses.

Attachments

• 7897EC99-7D1C-4539-A19D-47317C1A756D.jpeg
    7897EC99-7D1C-4539-A19D-47317C1A756D.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
Back