Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Toxic Broadheads

Twisted cutting edges hitting at high impact energy. What could possibly go wrong?🙂. Count me in as a skeptic. My opinion of them is they are a gimmick.

Every broadhead advertising says they "fly like a field point". And half well made head should out of a properly tuned bow. That being said the thin curved blades would be a no go for me. And if they held together I 6 blades sure is a lot of friction to push through a big animal. I'm sure they work good on any small critter like most heads do. I would rather spend the same money on a pack of qad Exodus.

Youtube is your friend when it comes to any question regarding broadhead penetration, durability etc... there's a ton of videos out there testing different broadheads on beef shoulders, ballistic gel etc.... In literally one minute of searching I found one where they shot a recently roadkilled deer with toxic and a muzzy. While the toxic got decent penetration while shooting through a whitetail shoulder, the muzzy got better penetration (I think they were testing 100 gr toxic vs 125 grain muzzy, so take that into consideration).

I always recommend regular old fixed blades with good penetration over something offering more wound channel, knowing that odds of recovery are greater if you punch a hole through both sides of an animal. If your bow is tuned and your broadheads hit where your points do, which many archers neglect to do, you're best bet is gonna come with whatever has the greatest penetration IMO, even if that only comes with a standard one inch cutting diameter. And regardless of what broadhead you use, a properly tuned bow will maximize your trajectory and penetration. There's so many good, plain old fixed blade broadheads out there, slick tricks, muzzys, G5 montec etc, why bother messing with what works? I constantly see guys more worried about broadheads than having a proper arrow weight, FOC, tuning etc... that's the stuff I worry about more than anything. That's just my 2c. Good luck with your selection.

It’s gotta be around 30 years that I’ve been shooting Muzzy 100’s. They shoot great and kill every time with a well placed shot. Can’t see any reason to ever change.

I’m not a fan of any broadhead that looks like it could be in a metal art show.
Stick with the basics man, they have worked since the Indians.

Most broadheads will fly like a field point if you do you part and tune your bow. With so many tried and true heads on the market, why risk your hunt on a gimmick head? Lots of good options, but I would look at VPA, QAD Exodus, Slick Trick and Wac'em for starters

They remind me of a broadhead that could core an apple - back in the late 70s or so.

They went bust. Not many apple hunters around I guess - what more needs be said?

That looks like a lot of stuff to snag on hide/bone/etc and flimsy looking blades.

I’m a fan of a one piece, solid, cut on contact head. My 250 gr two blade VPA heads fly very close to my field points. They may require more tuning than other style heads. But I know they’ll hold up if I hit bone.

Ever since seeing Big Fins bison hunt, I've been real impressed with Bone broadheads. My buddy ordered up some for his moose hunt this year. Right now I shoot Slick Tricks and G5 Montecs.

They look like they would be bleed out out anything they touched instantly on a perfect broadside shot between ribs. It just looks like to much blade to push through any bones though. I’m no expert. Just my opinion. They do look wicked lethal though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the comments. Everyone has brought up some good thoughts and concerns to consider. It is interesting that there are no real first hand comparisons or performance reviews from the Hunt Talk Forum. It is surprising no one has posted a comment that have actually used/tried them out.

They are an interesting broadhead. Seems most of what I see on the web is that mostly eastern hunters using them. They fly and penetrate pretty well in the videos.

Welp . to explain the lack of hunt talkers experience with this broadhead .

its either a amazing thing that just hasn’t caught on yet , or piece of crap that everyone knows to just look past .

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the comments. Everyone has brought up some good thoughts and concerns to consider. It is interesting that there are no real first hand comparisons or performance reviews from the Hunt Talk Forum. It is surprising no one has posted a comment that have actually used/tried them out.

They are an interesting broadhead. Seems most of what I see on the web is that mostly eastern hunters using them. They fly and penetrate pretty well in the videos.

I don't think it's really that interesting. I think the majority of Hunttalkers aren't the type to fall for a gimmick like that.

I used them for a season and a half on whitetails (5-6 deer shot). Won two packs of them in a promotion and gave them a try. Results on good shots were a tremendous amount of blood loss and a quick clean kill - though any broadhead should do that. Killed 3 or 4 deer with them. Where the problem came and why I stopped using them is on the "not so great" shots. Took a hard quartering away shot that i probably should not have taken. The result which I partially blame on the weird curved blades was a glancing shot with the arrow practically ricocheting off. The tip was not able to make any penetration before the blades made contact with the hide and glanced away. One other poor shot was too far back. I believe that if I had a traditional fixed or expanding blade head I would have had the chance of at least nicking the vitals, but the relatively small cut diameter did not hit anything lethal.

I don't want to blame the broadheads for my poor shots - which may have resulted in unrecovered deer regardless of the broadheads I used, but they left me with enough uncertainty that I would not use them anymore. One other thing to consider is the near inability to practice with them. The coring style of blade tears up targets and are extremely difficult to pull out - much better to push them through the back of the target. Even the practice head was a pain in the a$$.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back