Topo Anomaly

I have definitely been leaning towards some sort of mapping error from the beginning. The error is likely compounded in some way, there is no way its a 1k+ tall pillar. Just like if it was a big hole there would be pictures of it online and hiking trails to that spot already. Probably a rock formation no more than 150-200 ft above the surrounding rock.

I am still thinking I should hike in there next June and see if there are bears around. We'll see if ends up being a HTrs of North Idaho trip.
Let’s hope this current snow system doesn’t just keep going or it may be august/September

I have definitely been leaning towards some sort of mapping error from the beginning. The error is likely compounded in some way, there is no way its a 1k+ tall pillar. Just like if it was a big hole there would be pictures of it online and hiking trails to that spot already. Probably a rock formation no more than 150-200 ft above the surrounding rock.

I am still thinking I should hike in there next June and see if there are bears around. We'll see if ends up being a HTrs of North Idaho trip.
The topo looks like it’s 200ft, this photo shows a pretty intense shadow which would be consistent with a tower.

BBA03F4A-42DD-432E-B54F-5836225DEED4.jpeg

Look at the map. Basalt formations are common in the vicinity of the Clearwater River. If you need some assurance that basalt is a volcanic rock, I suggest you Google the term. And while you're at it Google lava tube. You'll see they are formed in basalt flows. Since the predominate rocks in the mountainous area of the Clearwater are either basalt or "granitic" (also volcanic in origin) it is unlikely this feature is a sinkhole. Those are found in limestone formations which are sedimentary/metamorphic.
Do I need to provide a copy of my geology degree or my professional geology license?

You sir are an idiot.

Thanks for the link, June may be a little optimistic for access, though it sits on a southerly facing ridge under 6K ft. This will be interesting. Thanks for posting.

myths-legends-space_time_continuum-time-physicists-physics-science_fiction-pknn994_low.jpg

White Spikes landing zone. Before you go check it out, mail me all your rifles and expensive optics for safe keeping in case you don’t come back.😏

Well, I went and checked it out. Pretty country. Some serious snow up there still and unfortunately, when I got close, it was obscured by fog. As it was I was probably pushing it getting even to that point. It was real tricky going in some areas and I was alone, so didn't want to press my luck too much. I had good snowshoes but really needed crampons to do it right. I did get a pic from further away before the fog bank moved in of what I think might be the formation. If I'm right, it is indeed marked wrong on the map and is a spire, rather than a hole. The first three pics are just to show what the scenery looked like. The fourth is what I'm pretty sure is the spire, and the fifth is looking directly at it from 200 yards away (measured on OnX) from atop a cliff. The screenshot shows where I was when I took the pic.

photo_2022-06-19_21-58-49.jpg
IMG_20220618_095831.jpgIMG_20220618_103610.jpg
IMG_20220618_105157.jpgIMG_20220618_105919.jpgIMG_20220618_112353.jpg

Well, I went and checked it out. Pretty country. Some serious snow up there still and unfortunately, when I got close, it was obscured by fog. As it was I was probably pushing it getting even to that point. It was real tricky going in some areas and I was alone, so didn't want to press my luck too much. I had good snowshoes but really needed crampons to do it right. I did get a pic from further away before the fog bank moved in of what I think might be the formation. If I'm right, it is indeed marked wrong on the map and is a spire, rather than a hole. The first three pics are just to show what the scenery looked like. The fourth is what I'm pretty sure is the spire, and the fifth is looking directly at it from 200 yards away (measured on OnX) from atop a cliff. The screenshot shows where I was when I took the pic.

View attachment 226891
View attachment 226887View attachment 226886
View attachment 226889View attachment 226888View attachment 226890
That final photo sure looks like pillow basalt to me.

View attachment 226891
View attachment 226887View attachment 226886
View attachment 226889View attachment 226888View attachment 226890
Heck yeah. Thanks for this report.

Funnily enough, this past week I was looking at some trails in the Bitterroots of MT since we are going to be there for a wedding and found another anomaly.

Looks like this error is right on the wilderness boundary. It appears that somehow the GIS data for creek to the north was matched up with the wilderness boundary and followed it across the ridge to the south. So makes a very narrow canyon on the topo. But this error only shows up on Onx so not as exciting as the original post.

Screenshot_20220620-052800-131.png

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back