Top 20 Elk Hunting Topics

6speed,

Most all the stuff posted by ARCAT is "spot" on...pun there.

Its going to do no good for experienced people to keep offering up help if you arent going to take the advice of those that have "been there, done that".

ARCAT led you to water...

As I think about this more I wonder if having more central/eastern hunters is what the western states really want. Most hunters are on a modest income and the tag prices alone can turn hunters away. Start adding up things and dang. Also, if you ask many hunters, the last thing that want to see is more hunters in the woods. They want to see more game, not more hunters. One suggestion, if you really want to attract more people to enjoy the MTN hunt - states could offer first time tag winners a tag in a limited draw area at a greatly reduced cost just to get the average guy a shot at a chance to enjoy a western hunt on a lower budget. Then, they can come back at a regular price once they got the bugle bug. I would say limited draw area to protect the OTC areas from overcrowding. Just thinking out loud here. It may not seem like much but it is too someone without much.

Wow, not sure any of what you said there is really true.

I dont mind one bit seeing NR hunters in Wyoming, never minded in Montana either. We're all Non-residents in any state but the one we live in.

I'm greatful to the NR hunters as they fund a majority of most states G&F agencies.

As to the cost...yeah, its never going to be a cheap thing to get a tag. But, there are ways to off-set that cost. For one, I'd shovel snow, mow my neighbors lawn, or whatever it took to afford a tag I wanted. Also, say an elk tag is $600...if you plan a hunt say...18 months out, throw $35 a month in an envelope...you'll be there.

Another option would be to consider a hunt the first time out for a cow, tags are much cheaper and its pretty darn easy to find a cow elk in WY, MT, or CO. Tags are $300ish in all those states for cows.

With G&F budgets already stretched thin, I think the idea of offering LQ elk tags to first time NR elk hunters at a reduced price is going to go over like a lead balloon.

Hunting as a NR for elk isnt cheap, but it can be affordable to just about anyone that makes it a priority.

With G&F budgets already stretched thin, I think the idea of offering LQ elk tags to first time NR elk hunters at a reduced price is going to go over like a lead balloon.

Hunting as a NR for elk isnt cheap, but it can be affordable to just about anyone that makes it a priority.
Agreed 100% on both statements.

I bet a lot of people (like me) would benefit from knowing about tracking options like SPOT and?

It will cost $551 for a NR to hunt Whitetails in Iowa, I guess I'm not feeling sorry for anyone on the price of western elk tags.

How to hunt the public/private border, while staying out of jail would be a good clip.

If you are trying to get more easterners to participate in a Western hunt you are going to need to attract a different crowd then the ones who have lots of money and the license fee isnt an issue. Most hunters I know wont spend the $551 for an IA tag either. Not a fair comparison. Cost is a huge factor and I understand that it would appear to put a strain on the budgets but at this point those agencies are not getting a penny from these people. Not even an application fee. No new money is being spent to the local economy either. It is not easy to save up with this economy and again family funds. Not easy to commit to an experience you never had. Once you have done it, you will likely do what you can to get out there again but it is crossing that first hurdle that is the key. Archery clubs all across the country are having lower turnout at 3D shoots with the cost of gas being one of the major speculated reasons. When I last went on an elk hunt I sold a Browning A5 20 gauge, Belgium, mint shape to pay for the hunt so I know a little about the sacrifice some of us have made to go as we did not have the money in the family budget. I have been saving for 3 years to go again on a DIY hunt. When you live paycheck to paycheck, IA hunts and Western hunts are not something you strongly consider unless you really got the bug.

The bottom line is you could give tags away and there would be a ton of hunters that still couldnt afford to drive out to hunt.

You cant cut the G&F agencies financial throat to attract new hunters. Cant do it.

I think the idea Randy and OYOA is trying to push is that doing a hunt on your own, on public land, will be a lot less expensive than a guided hunt and more within reach of just about everyone.

Even DIY NR hunts are going to be more than some can afford...thats life.

However, I still feel that anyone with the desire to hunt elk out West, can get it done. Its just simply a matter of priorities and sacrficing to do it. Its more attainable than most realize.

I wasnt kidding when I said I'd mow the neighbors lawn if I had to, get a second job, or whatever it took to afford to hunt out-of-state.

I like Buzz's idea of hunting for a cow your first time out. Killing a cow is very doable, and killing any elk in the mountains is a heck of an education compared to shooting a deer at home. Everything from meat and trophy care, to packing, and eating great meat all year long make killing a cow a great experience. Plus its always good to be sucessful your first time out.

Since Big Fin's day job is as an accountant, I think one thing that would be useful might be a realistic cost breakdown of various OYOA type trips. That could be followed by a comparison to various guided hunt options and finally, IMO most importantly, to some of the things many hunters spend money on. It's really not that expensive when put into perspective. I have a buddy that has never been able to "afford" putting in and going with me on a trip. However, he buys a new bow every couple of years, is making payment on a UTV, has a street motorcycle, etc. Many are shocked when I tell them that I travelled from IN to WY and shot 3 pronghorn for around $1000 and that included the price of all 3 tags! If I'd have had someone with me to share the gas bill (biggest expense) it would have been even less.

Another thing folks from the Midwest/East get too wrapped up in is the gear. IME/O the gear needed is not all that much different. I hunted this year in Indiana with all the same clothes I used in WY and ID, just used different boots. A three-teir breakdown of the gear needed for a OYOA might be nice. Reason for the 3 teir is so that it could be divided into plush, normal, and barebones. Plush might include things like a camp trailer instead of a tent or a heated wall tent instead of a dome tent, etc.

Just some thoughts...

Last edited:
•*Realistic expectations. What am I in for?
•*Clean kill. How is shooting an elk different than a deer. Shot placement.
• Special equipment for field dressing an elk
•*Packing out an elk. How? Packboards, game carts, etc.
* elk behavior -- rut and post-rut
• physical prep for rugged country/altitude
• adequate bullets and broadheads
•*safe and comfortable hunting in bad weather
•*Don't get lost. basics of map, compass, gps
•*Getting meat home without spoilage
•*caring for hide and horns
* horses - is renting or borrowing stock for you?
•*calling. recognizing and using elk vocalizations
•*elk sign v. deer sign. wallows, rubs, trails
•*clothes and gear

Been thinking about this some more. Another thing that might be helpful is what to expect for weather conditions. For example, hunting archery season could be much different than the rifle seasons. Will this affect the way a person hunts? If you hunt later in the year (i.e., rifle seasons) is backpacking in feasible. What can one expect for road conditions?

As a eastern hunter looking into the west my biggest problem is who to go with I'm 23 and no one I hang out with seem like a good fit to take on an adventure like this. I hunted Iowa this year alone I planned 7 days in Iowa it was a 15 hr drive for me which I did straight through no problem. My biggest thing was I assumed Iowa would have cell phone service and I could talk to my wife, after 5 days I ended up coming home early because I missed my wife I still had 2 oppurtunities on whities that I wouldn't have at home and brought home a doe on the last morning, would I have closed the deal if I stayed the extra 2 days I had planned maybe, but I was wife sick ;). For me to head out west I'd probably plan 10 days which is a very long time to be a away form my newly wed wife. Especially without any communication. So how do I prepare myself mentally for that. Or how can I hunt Elk so that I can have basic communication on a daily basis? what you need, how to take care of downed meat, finding an area to hunt is all over the internet. But when I think Of elk hunting I think of getting way back in how can do you do it without that factor? hunt from a base camp (with cell service) that you can access several hunting areas within reasonable driving disance and a couple hr hike?

Easy answer to that bennett454. Take her with you. Some of my best hunts were with my wife before our children made it too difficult for her to get out often.

haha... I actually was planning on taking her to wyoming for an antelope hunt next year but now she's due with our first little one in June so I'm pretty sure its out for this year (she'll be using all her vacation time for maturnity leave). I also figure she might not be up for an elk hunt quite yet she still hasn't quite caught the hunting bug bad enough yet shes more into small game and waterfowl. She just needs some big game success and I know she'll be sold :)

My biggest thing was I assumed Iowa would have cell phone service and I could talk to my wife, after 5 days I ended up coming home early because I missed my wife I still had 2 oppurtunities on whities that I wouldn't have at home and brought home a doe on the last morning, would I have closed the deal if I stayed the extra 2 days I had planned maybe, but I was wife sick ;)

Step 1

Get your balls back

Step 2

Kill Bull elk

Great thread! We just submitted our application for Wyoming Elk tags and unless there is something crazy going on should be a 100% draw. I know I have had many of the same questions/concerns that have been expressed on this thread. I started reading everything I could find and went out west Mule Deer/Antelope hunting while building the confidence to tackle the larger wapiti. I'm really looking forward to our trip and hope we can get lucky. Man that $600 is hard to part with! I have full confidence in finding Elk in SD, but other states sure look big!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back