Top 20 Elk Hunting Topics

Wow, there are a lot of really good ideas here, I'm sure Randy will come up with some very helpful webisodes.

The one thing I would suggest is that the first episode ask hunters to carefully consider how they will judge success. What is a successful hunt? I think there is a solid argument to be made that, if you have never hunted elk or the west before, and you come out here and hunt hard and have a great time, you've had a successful trip, whether or not you shoot an elk.

Also, I think that guys should have an good idea in mind of what kind of animals they will see on public land. Watching alot of TV shows where the host hunts some private ranch with loads of monster elk on it, fighting to get past the 300 class satellite bulls so they can shoot the 370 herd bull...that's not a realistic representation of what most hunters will encounter on their first trip out west.

I am not saying there aren't big bulls on public land. They are there because I have seen some, and if I have been lucky enough to see a few, then I'm sure some of the guys on here who are really really good elk hunters see a lot more of them.

It'd just be a crying shame if some guy came out here and on his first hunt, actually shot a elk, and went home feeling bad about it, cause it wasn't like the ones he saw on TV. Shame for him and shame for the elk, to go to someone who doesn't appreciate it for what it is-a real trophy.

Thanks Dink, I havent lost them quite yet when, I end up turning down a hunting trip to stay home drinking margaritas and watching chickflicks then I will consider myself neutered ;)

This is a great idea.

There are lots of books on elk hunting, covering the hunt, rifle selection, etc. Before I started DIY elk hunts, the factors that had me most worried were:
Can I get a tag?
Can I afford it?
Am I in going to get snowed in?
Am I going to freeze to death?
Will I fall off a cliff?

Yes to the first two, and not yet to the others.

The other piece is reality - I was willing to hunt cow elk since I could draw a tag and they are easier. The pictures on the Big Ones thread are great but they represent years of effort and skill. What do you want first time out?

Finn's recent article (in Bugle?) on hunting elk for $1000 supplied a lot of information - go back 10 years and Jim Zumbo had something similar except it was only $700 then.

I did my first DIY hunt camping by the road with a backpacking tent, and got 6 inches of snow and close to zero temps. I realized the second day that I wanted to do it again, but that it was going to be easier to explain to my wife if I actually got an elk.

One thing that I think would be very helpful is a checklist starting at the very beginning (ie review the State Wildlife Agency website, rules, talk to someone, etc). Then step by step, these are the things that need to be done all they way through the hunt. I believe some are intimidated by how big of a planning event it is and if they had a roadmap on how to get there, that would help them immensely. Now, if'n it was you putting out said roadmap, it might just have to say OYOA in bold letters across the top!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back