Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Tom

JASON LEE

Tom, I will be headed down your way soon to do some pig hunting. I was told that most are killed at night. Do you have any experiance with this? If so whats a good set up gun/scope wise?

Thanks
Jason

JASON LEE said:
Tom, I will be headed down your way soon to do some pig hunting. I was told that most are killed at night. Do you have any experiance with this? If so whats a good set up gun/scope wise?

Thanks
Jason

A flashlight and gun will probably work :p you think :D

Yes, I have some experience with that. I've probably killed 30-40 hogs at night.
Well, a big gun is better, they are like bears, some little, some big. If there's a big one you want a big gun. Their fat closes up and then there's little blood trail and at night, its worse, so a big gun.

A big one with a flashlight taped on a shotgun, that did work at one place, but they have to be close for that.

Academy sports stores down here sell a varmint hunting light for $40 that attaches to a scope tube and it has a red lens and a button. Hogs will run, so you kind of flash it, just to make sure you have a hog in front of you or you come down with the light from the sky and don't put it right in their eye. A laser pointer is even legal for hogs here, if you want to put that on your gun.

Cabela's has varmint spot lights that are more powerful than the Academy one, they are like $80.

Some scopes have red lighted crosshairs, if you really want to get into it. If not, I just move the crosshairs up and down and right and left, till I think I have them in the middle of the animal where it counts.

Hogs have a big shoulder blade, they have thick tough grissle over the back of their neck and you kind of have to shoot lower to get them where it counts. A broadside or quartered away shot works great. If its quartered toward you you have to have a big gun to go through the shoulder, plus that helps stop them from running far.

Some people shoot them in the ear or the eye with a little 243 even, but you ruin the skull and take a risk of missing then, that's a smaller target than their whole body. Save the tusks, that's what goes in the record books, the tusks' lengths and circumference.

The meat is great. What else?

Good info Tom. I try to shoot right behind the shoulder if possible. Saves mucho meat. I really don't care on a big boar...just want em dead.

I remember the first hog that I ran acros at night in Texas. driving back to the ranch road it was standing acroos the ranch road. It was as long as the bushhog path I was driving on. Couldn't see the cross hairs to save my life, (even with my back to the headlights) it was an hour or so after sunset. Lesson learned always carry some type of red dot or illuminated reticle scope in the truck. bet that hog would have broke 450 lbs.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back