MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

To Hot Tent or to Bivy?

tomengineer

I’m planning an Idaho mule deer rifle hunt in south central Idaho this fall. It will be me and two other rookies to backpack hunting. We are considering purchasing a hot tent and stove. We are from the east and plan to hunt 7-10 days a year out west for the foreseeable future. My questions are 1. Is a hot tent worth it if we are considering 2-3 nights in the woods at a time? 2. Is the time of year cold enough to warrant a hot tent on this region? 3. Is a luxe tent and seek outside stove of adequate quality for this mild level of use?
I realize those are general questions but if a hot tent is worth it in terms of keeping us hunting longer we want to do it. If not we’ll go the bivy route. I just don’t have enough experience to make an informed decision. Thanks.

Also I’ve been listening to Brian Barney on Eastmans elevated about doing 10 day backpacking trips without a hot tent. These are bow trips. So he’s doing them in August but I’m guessing he’s also a lot tougher than me.

I'd never even consider a stove for backpack hunting unless I was using pack stock.

Sleeping bags, are lighter and more reliable.

I'd never even consider a stove for backpack hunting unless I was using pack stock.

Sleeping bags, are lighter and more reliable.
Thank you. At the end of the day in the cold a good sleeping bag is all that’s needed?

I didn't think it would be worth having a stove for backpacking, until I tried one this year.

I can think of a ton of times I would have really liked to have a stove on past hunts. They don't weigh much and are worth it, if for no other reason than to dry out clothes, boots. I also found that if all you're doing is boiling water for freeze dried food, etc. no reason to bring a cooking stove.

I used one about 12 days in Wyoming hunting sheep, I didn't regret it.

IMG_06091.JPG

IMG_0659.JPG

A backpack-able shelter with a stove, especially divided up between a couple of guys, is a game changer. The ability to get things dried out and the morale boost of a fire after dark in the shelter is a win in my book. One thing to consider is the size of the shelter you’re gonna choose based on three guys with gear. Thats a decent footprint and there’s a lotta steep stuff around here that may, depending on where you’re hunting in ID, be better suited to something that’ll nestle comfortably in a deer bed. You might consider a couple of shelters for your group so you‘re not as limited in your site selection.

I’m planning an Idaho mule deer rifle hunt in south central Idaho this fall.

I have hunted a lifetime in Washington and had a hand full of Idaho late season bull elk hunts.

Sept or Oct. can be hugely different. 90% of the time in Sept the weather in the mountains of the Northwest can be very pleasant. Late Sept. can be hit or miss some times with rain squalls or hail storms that last a short period of time (hours) then the sun pops out. Oct. can be very unpredictable in the Northwest and you can have some amazing summer like weather or some really nasty weather (rainy, windy or even winter snow with amazing temperature variations). The northwest mountains are very unpredictable and can really catch a hiker who is unprepared off guard. Plan for the worst and hope for the best. On that note I personally am a fan of individual double wall tents and the appropriate gear (down bag/clothing, good sleeping pad for ground insulation). A large tent with a stove can be divided up amongst several people but it also provides several other challenges (large footprint to put down, all members of the party must be present to have all the parts required if divided). I personally use a 1 man tent of my liking and have found that with most double wall tents of the 1 man size can be easily heated to 65deg or greater with a candle lantern even in 35deg. weather. https://www.rei.com/product/838880/uco-original-candle-lantern-kit Under extreme conditions a candle lantern can be set in the vestibule on the ground and just allowed to heat the tent if you need hours of heat. They can also decrease the usage of batteries in a headlamps and flashlights and very worth the ounces to carry one.

If you are truly backpack hunting, finding yourself in a different place every night I would go with individual tents myself. If you are just packing into an area, parking and using it as a basecamp a larger tent could be a better option. my .02

Last edited by a moderator:
Your kinda asking on both sides of spectrum. Solo hunt definitely a good little tent with a solid bag or quilt, good pad and adequate clothing.

Hot tents come later.

Like stated above if you're running and gunning/moving camp daily, A single person shelter makes a lot of sense. Everyone has their own space and you aren't counting on everyone sticking together. Not everyone is always willing to go over the next mountain or go as hard as the next guy. Now if you're going in and setting a base camp, then I'm all about the hot tent. My SO Cimarron will comfortably handle 2 adults with the stove and the footprint isn't too big. A Redclif or 6 man tipi will be better for 3. I run SeekOutside and have always been happy with quality and customer service. No experience with Luxe but have heard they don't pack up as small.

If I was looking at a 1p setup for some archery/ mid season rifle hunting or spring bears take a look at that SG Sky Air shelter that converts into a 1.5 person tent.

You don't NEED a hot tent, but once you're out there in cold, wet weather you'll WANT one for sure. The 3 of you guys will require at least a 4-man sized tipi if you're going to use a stove, you can't snuggle up to a red-hot stove. My Seek tipi+stove weighs less than the 2-man backpacking tent I had when I was in my 20s.

I have done both. Spent some pretty cold nights up in the Rockies in a 3 man tent.. Survived fine. Didn't get overly cold.

Then this past year I purchased a Jimmy Tarps Hudson Tipee and a Lite Outdoors stove. Gamechanger for us. Being able to come back to camp after being out all day in the cold wind and getting a fire going, warming the tent up up to 70 degrees was amazing. Maybe I am getting old (46) but I wish I would have had one 20 years ago when I made my first trip out west.

Oh yeah the Hudson and LO stove weigh less than the 3 man REI tent.

I have hunted a lifetime in Washington and had a hand full of Idaho late season bull elk hunts.

Sept or Oct. can be hugely different. 90% of the time in Sept the weather in the mountains of the Northwest can be very pleasant. Late Sept. can be hit or miss some times with rain squalls or hail storms that last a short period of time (hours) then the sun pops out. Oct. can be very unpredictable in the Northwest and you can have some amazing summer like weather or some really nasty weather (rainy, windy or even winter snow with amazing temperature variations). The northwest mountains are very unpredictable and can really catch a hiker who is unprepared off guard. Plan for the worst and hope for the best. On that note I personally am a fan of individual double wall tents and the appropriate gear (down bag/clothing, good sleeping pad for ground insulation). A large tent with a stove can be divided up amongst several people but it also provides several other challenges (large footprint to put down, all members of the party must be present to have all the parts required if divided). I personally use a 1 man tent of my liking and have found that with most double wall tents of the 1 man size can be easily heated to 65deg or greater with a candle lantern even in 35deg. weather. https://www.rei.com/product/838880/uco-original-candle-lantern-kit Under extreme conditions a candle lantern can be set in the vestibule on the ground and just allowed to heat the tent if you need hours of heat. They can also decrease the usage of batteries in a headlamps and flashlights and very worth the ounces to carry one.

If you are truly backpack hunting, finding yourself in a different place every night I would go with individual tents myself. If you are just packing into an area, parking and using it as a basecamp a larger tent could be a better option. my .02
Ok thank you for the informed response. Gives us something to think about.

I didn't think it would be worth having a stove for backpacking, until I tried one this year.

I can think of a ton of times I would have really liked to have a stove on past hunts. They don't weigh much and are worth it, if for no other reason than to dry out clothes, boots. I also found that if all you're doing is boiling water for freeze dried food, etc. no reason to bring a cooking stove.

I used one about 12 days in Wyoming hunting sheep, I didn't regret it.

IMG_06091.JPG

IMG_0659.JPG
Ok thanks. That cherry red stove picture might've sold me.

Your kinda asking on both sides of spectrum. Solo hunt definitely a good little tent with a solid bag or quilt, good pad and adequate clothing.

Hot tents come later.
Yes that's kind of my thought if I was by myself I wouldn't consider the stove but being able to split the load is tempting.

I have done both. Spent some pretty cold nights up in the Rockies in a 3 man tent.. Survived fine. Didn't get overly cold.

Then this past year I purchased a Jimmy Tarps Hudson Tipee and a Lite Outdoors stove. Gamechanger for us. Being able to come back to camp after being out all day in the cold wind and getting a fire going, warming the tent up up to 70 degrees was amazing. Maybe I am getting old (46) but I wish I would have had one 20 years ago when I made my first trip out west.

Oh yeah the Hudson and LO stove weigh less than the 3 man REI tent.
Ok thanks. Also what I'm thinking. I'm thinking that warmth at night and in the morning will help morale and help us hunt harder and longer.

Have you done much backpacking?
As a rookie backpacker/backpack hunter myself, the hot tent just seems like it could be a lot of extra headaches.
If everyone brought their own tents and descent bags it would make it possible to split up and bivy if you found a spot you like.
I just spent 1 night in a tent on the snow and 3 nights in a bivy sack in the bed of my truck with a Klymit V 5 pad and a 30 degree NF bag inside a 0 degree ozark trail (Walmart) bag in the low 20’s in Montana and it was pretty cozy.

My next backpacking tent will be a hot one! I have an older Sierra Designs TP that I will likely buy a dedicated pole for (instead of using my trekking pole) and stove for. Sewing in a stove jack doesn't seem too bad. That'll cover me for a solo tent, but will probably add a larger version for trips with multiple folks at some point.

Here are the thoughts I would share.

1. How much backpack hunting have you done? My experience has led me to believe that personal preferences can vary widely as to what you want to carry and need to be comfortable; both of which will effect your efficiency hunting.

2. If you invest in that system, will the other two guys always be there to carry their share, or will there be a time when you are solo, or hunting with someone else all together. In some ways it is nice to start with a system you can carry and sustain yourself solo, and maybe you can do that with some of the new superlight hot-tents.

3. There is a pretty significant difference between early season archery elk and later season rifle hunting out of a backpack, I might try and find some resources to listen to that speak more directly to what you are looking to do. They get into a lot of this type of stuff, and specifically talk gear a lot on the Kifarucast podcast, I don't listen to it much, but I have perused their past episodes looking for specific info.

4. Being able to dry clothes and boots is huge come late season, so I agree that the hot tent is a great way to go. I think you just need to be aware of the logistics that come with it.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back