To chamber, or not to chamber? That is the question.

Just chambered a primed case in one of my rifles that sits in an aluminum chassis, took the scope off, and gave the buttstock some pretty good thumps against the concrete. Primer never fired and had a tiny mark on the primer similar to a primer cycled in an ar-15. Not a scientific study by any means but I fell pretty comfortable with my decision to carry with my bolt decocked.

Do any of you who carry hot use Remington 700's?

Yes I shoot nothing but Remington 700's.
I hunt in the southwest.
After I leave the vehicle or camp, yes I have a live round in the chamber when I'm hunting.
When I'm hiking and glassing I'm hunting. I do unload when climbing a fence or jumping a creek though.

Just chambered a primed case in one of my rifles that sits in an aluminum chassis, took the scope off, and gave the buttstock some pretty good thumps against the concrete. Primer never fired and had a tiny mark on the primer similar to a primer cycled in an ar-15. Not a scientific study by any means but I fell pretty comfortable with my decision to carry with my bolt decocked.

I'm telling ya don't do that. Drop the bolt faster and see what happens.

We tried to tell him, but he has other ideas. I spent 30 years as a Police Officer with the New Orleans PD, 15 of which were on the SWAT Team. I have seen many, many victims of gunshot wounds- some from rifles. A close range contact wound with a high powered rifle is devastating, if not fatal, especially with soft point/hunting ammo. I hope he reconsiders, but if not, I hope he hunts alone.

Last edited:
I’d guess the odds of getting accidentally shot in MT each fall are about equal to getting mauled by a griz. So I assume everyone worried about getting shot doesn’t hunt griz country?

I hunt with a round in the chamber. There are many animals I would not have shot if I had to chamber a round then shoot. I often hunt in thick forest (especially pigs) where your only opportunity are quick shots.

Maui, Hawaii

Yes. Cocked and locked. I hunt alone.
PA

2 years ago i spotted a guy through my binos. He was spotting with his binos. We both waved our hats in acknowledgement.
He then proceeded to unsling his rifle, lever action, jack one in the chamber and fire towards me.
We'll just say he scampered off in a big hurry.

Yeah no kidding. The action of decocking was not what I was worried about. It is a slow methodical process ever time I do it. I’m never scared that I’m going to lose the bolt and drop it on the live round. It’s not an action that I get complacent about

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back