Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Tires....again.

No,but I see many with them here. Mostly fleet stuff.
I run those on all my trucks. Let my drivers pick between the 2. They hold up to alot of abuse. ND oilfield roads, badlands/breaks country 2 tracks working cows, ect..... and ride great on pavement. Never a howl and Lots of life when keeping up on rotations.

Based on this thread it seems like 10 ply is the general consensus. I dont know much about ply except that it is thicker and less prone to flats. Are these more expensive or noiser than let say 8 ply?

Based on this thread it seems like 10 ply is the general consensus. I dont know much about ply except that it is thicker and less prone to flats. Are these more expensive or noiser than let say 8 ply?

Not necessarily noisier. That depends on tread design. More ply = heavier, more expensive, and more resistant to puncturing.

I think you'll find a good deal of how many miles your get on tire's is dependent on how you drive. I know every body is a great driver and tire's should hold up to anything but they don't. All my tire's come from Les Schwab and I'can't remember name's on them. But one set I got on a Dodge 3/4t I delivered RV's with I got 105K out of and sold them for $25 each at 105k. had a set of Schwab re-caps on an old 1/2t Chevy years ago I got 80K out of. Obviously I don't get that out of each tire. In fact I dont even keep track anymore. Run tire pressure low and the tire will run hotter and wear faster. Drive faster in the hot summer on paved roads and the tire wear's faster. Jack rabbit start's spinning wheels, tire's wear faster. If your only getting 40k out of a set of tire's I'd suggest you take a look at the way you drive.

I think you'll find a good deal of how many miles your get on tire's is dependent on how you drive. I know every body is a great driver and tire's should hold up to anything but they don't. All my tire's come from Les Schwab and I'can't remember name's on them. But one set I got on a Dodge 3/4t I delivered RV's with I got 105K out of and sold them for $25 each at 105k. had a set of Schwab re-caps on an old 1/2t Chevy years ago I got 80K out of. Obviously I don't get that out of each tire. In fact I dont even keep track anymore. Run tire pressure low and the tire will run hotter and wear faster. Drive faster in the hot summer on paved roads and the tire wear's faster. Jack rabbit start's spinning wheels, tire's wear faster. If your only getting 40k out of a set of tire's I'd suggest you take a look at the way you drive.
You ever been on a NM road? Most are dirt & 35mph is fast on most. I keep 65lbs in 80lb tires so I don't slide off or rattle the truck apart. Used to get 65k+ on tires that only last 40k now,so I'm pretty sure it is not my driving habits.

Spend some time in SE Montana on the scoria roads. I don’t give a shit what tire you use or how you drive. You’re not getting 60k out of them. 30-40k is doing REALLY well.

You ever been on a NM road? Most are dirt & 35mph is fast on most. I keep 65lbs in 80lb tires so I don't slide off or rattle the truck apart. Used to get 65k+ on tires that only last 40k now,so I'm pretty sure it is not my driving habits.

What ever you say! I've been on a lot of NM roads. Not all are dirt. So when you leave the dirt road you put 80# of air back in? Drive on paved roads with low air pressure and the tire heats up, increase's tire wear. Lot of dirt roads where I live. I don't lower air pressure on them, I slow down. I doubt the tire wear you have come's from the dirt road but rather from the paved road running tire low on air to be more comfortable on the dirt road! You get a lot of heat down there in the summer also, Hot paved roads increase tire wear.

Just switched from KO2's to KM3's.

Observations:
KO2's get the nod on pavement, though similar
Both have excellent all around road manners.
Both excellent in crappy, icy, snowy, paved road conditions.

KM3's do have better off-road, deep snow traction
KO2's were actually pretty good in off-road deep snow the first year, seemed less capable with tread wear.
KM3's have already pulled me out of a snowy ditch or two. Great traction and bite.

For the guys with late model f150’s, the lug nuts can “swell” to the point of not being able to get a socket on it. Ford considers them consumable so they won’t cover it out of warranty. I bought some one piece lug nuts for 30 bucks. Just wanted to let everyone know.

I learned my lesson with regular pick up tires last week. Bought a set of cooper discoverers at3LT. Love them so far. This is my first set of them but my first impressions are good. They aren’t loud on the highway and run smooth with and without a trailer.

I learned my lesson with regular pick up tires last week. Bought a set of cooper discoverers at3LT. Love them so far. This is my first set of them but my first impressions are good. They aren’t loud on the highway and run smooth with and without a trailer.

Those are good tires.

What ever you say! I've been on a lot of NM roads. Not all are dirt. So when you leave the dirt road you put 80# of air back in? Drive on paved roads with low air pressure and the tire heats up, increase's tire wear. Lot of dirt roads where I live. I don't lower air pressure on them, I slow down. I doubt the tire wear you have come's from the dirt road but rather from the paved road running tire low on air to be more comfortable on the dirt road! You get a lot of heat down there in the summer also, Hot paved roads increase tire wear.

Why the hell would you run 80 lbs of pressure all the time? There is no way you are getting full tread contact on the roadway with 80 lbs. Not to mention, running 80 lbs of air on a lot of roads is an invitation to run rocks through the tread face unless you have the time to go 5 mph all the time.

Sorry, but this isn't even realistic.

When I was in SE Montana, I would get 25-35k miles out of a set of tires. Probably 80% of those miles were on gravel and/or two track roads. The wear most certainly wasn't coming from the small percentage of miles on pavement.

Spend some time in SE Montana on the scoria roads. I don’t give a shit what tire you use or how you drive. You’re not getting 60k out of them. 30-40k is doing REALLY well.
fractured basalt takes the cake for me. I have a couple of friends the quit hunting areas because they were tired of all the flats.

I am on my second set of Cooper ST Maxx on my 2014 Ram 2500. This past weekend I was out hunting with my old man in his newer F-350 that he recently put Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's on and I was really impressed with those tires in the snow/mud we were in at times.

Why the hell would you run 80 lbs of pressure all the time? There is no way you are getting full tread contact on the roadway with 80 lbs. Not to mention, running 80 lbs of air on a lot of roads is an invitation to run rocks through the tread face unless you have the time to go 5 mph all the time.

Sorry, but this isn't even realistic.

When I was in SE Montana, I would get 25-35k miles out of a set of tires. Probably 80% of those miles were on gravel and/or two track roads. The wear most certainly wasn't coming from the small percentage of miles on pavement.

Best I've ever done with mileage on tire's was a set of Toyo's I used on a 3/4T Dodge I used to pull RV's with for a living. Got 105K out of them and sold them to someone else for $25 each as used! Year's ago had a set of re-tread's on an old Chev 1/2T I got 80K out of. How you drive has a great deal to do with tire wear!

Update:
KM3 not as good as KO2 for downhill straight ice. Meaning off road downhills where the road is literally completely iced over. KM3's get a little floaty

Just switched from KO2's to KM3's.

Observations:
KO2's get the nod on pavement, though similar
Both have excellent all around road manners.
Both excellent in crappy, icy, snowy, paved road conditions.

KM3's do have better off-road, deep snow traction
KO2's were actually pretty good in off-road deep snow the first year, seemed less capable with tread wear.
KM3's have already pulled me out of a snowy ditch or two. Great traction and bite.

I'm on my 4th set of Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws and I don't see myself switching to anything else unless they stop making them. Absolutely fantastic tires. I do frequent, and often fairly hardcore, off-road driving. They've handled the abuse marvelously and grip like no tomorrow. Quiet and track well on pavement, good wet performance and awesome snow and sand performance. Pretty good in the mud for an All Terrain. As far as tread wear is concerned, I don't really know what to tell you to expect on your truck, but I've been very satisfied with them on two different Tacomas and my Ram. They have a 55,000 mile treadwear warranty, so if they don't last that long at least you'll get them prorated towards another set.

Just my $.02.

20180224_144745-01.jpeg 20190303_153321_1551672549860.jpeg IMG_20181115_111054_550.jpg IMG_20190129_071541_100.jpg IMG_20190216_124533.jpg Screenshot_20190105-165825.png

Last edited:
Had Bridgestone Duelers- not enough traction
Had coopers and they cupped
Now I have Duratracs and love them except they are heavy. Snow, ice, mud... they are the best tires I’ve had.

I might get cooper st Max’s next time but that is due to size availability and wouldn’t consider it if the Duratracs came in the size I wanted.

The new Yokahama Geolander AT-max are excellent in snow,rain, on the dirt roads and pretty quiet for aggressive tires. They do load with mud some but I can still drive the greased slime we now have with the daily thaws.
Got chains last week cause it will be one of those muddy winters in NM. Good we need the moisture.
Picking up the Ford today after my bud took it back to Alb. to replace the limited slip clutches in rear end. He did not like the sound he heard last week when I went by to see them. Said mud packed into E-brakes too,even after I hose blasted them.

Most folks here going with the Cooper ST Max now...something to consider if these do not wear well.

Preliminary review for General AT-X.

https://generaltire.com/tires/light-trucksuv/grabber-atx

Brief prologue here, for work I do a lot of driving on gravel, two tracks, primitive dirt roads in all sort of conditions. Between work and personal vehicles, I've used a number of different tires over the years, to include GY Duratracs, Cooper AT3, Cooper Discoverer ST, BFG KO2, Cooper STT, Toyo M55, Toyo ATII, Hankook Dynapro. Also, disclaimer these are mounted on a 2018 Chevy Silverado 1500 w/ 18" wheels. Size is LT265/70/R18, load range E.

I will update this thread over time. I just put these on last week. The first day out with them I got an opportunity to try them in heavy wet snow/slush. They performed very well with no hydroplaning. I purposely drove in some of the deeper slush (3-4") to see if the tires planed at all, and I was impressed with how well they tracked.

A couple of days later I got an opportunity to try them out on about 30 miles of muddy dirt road (no gravel). The first thing to remember is these are an AT tire. They will never clean out and bite like an MT. That said, I liked how well they cleaned out. I did my best to maintain RPM in the 1800-2400 range, which seems to be the sweet spot for the Chevy traction system. I was impressed with how well these did on some very steep hills in 2wd. In 4wd these really offer some bite.

Highway manners are an important factor for me. I hate listening to tires howl. One of my major complaints with Duratracs is how loud they get as they wear. It really is obnoxious. For balancing, looks like the shop put 3/4 oz on the outside, and 1/2-3/4 oz on the inside. These tires are very quiet and smooth on the highway. I have not noticed any difference with fuel mileage relative to the Duratracs, but in all honesty I really haven't done any apples to apples comparisons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back