Tires again…I know

Trial153

The tires on my Tundra are few months old, they came on the new truck. Falken Wildpeak AT3. I just put tire a mount on my truck cover( Diamond back ) and bought another matching rim to mount a second spare. I always go into hunting season with two full size spares.

In any event I am not crazy about these tires and I plan on swapping them out late summer. I plan on buying six new tires.
Looking at 265/60/20 all 10 ply AT style.

I pretty much narrowed it down to
Toyos Open Country A/T III
BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KOs
Micky Thompson Baja Legend EXP

Anyone have any experience with any of these ?

The Toyos and BFGs are both solid. I got better mileage out of the toyos but they were also louder as they wore down. BFGs were better in the rain, both were good off road, can’t speak to snow as we don’t get enough to matter! I also liked the last set of coopers I had

The tires on my Tundra are few months old, they came on the new truck. Falken Wildpeak AT3. I just put tire a mount on my truck cover( Diamond back ) and bought another matching rim to mount a second spare. I always go into hunting season with two full size spares.

In any event I am not crazy about these tires and I plan on swapping them out late summer. I plan on buying six new tires.
Looking at 265/60/20 all 10 ply AT style.

I pretty much narrowed it down to
Toyos Open Country A/T III
BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KOs
Micky Thompson Baja Legend EXP

Anyone have any experience with any of these ?
Toyo AT3 and call it a day

From personal experience, Toyo AT IIIs are really good, esp. in snow. BFGs are a popular choice (though I've never personally run them). I have heard people say that as they wear down, they can start to ride a lot rougher -- I don't know if that's true. Maybe if you've not already, take a look at tirerack.com which has a performance testing results and reviews for both those tires.

Not trying to convince you otherwise but what do you dislike about the Falkens?
They are a little different as a stock tire. I dont believe they are 3MPSF rated.

This is correct. There are two variants. The stock tires are AT3W A variant. And Regular version is just AT3W. One needs to to be careful even on the aftermarket that you aren’t getting the cheaper A variant.
Pretty shitty that on a 70k truck look to save 20 bucks a tire ..but that’s another discussion.

The tires are fine on pavement, wet, snow no issues. However on soft ground, especially with a bit of snow they leave a lot to be desired. Enough so that I am taking them off in late summer and replacing them. They will be pretty new yet so I might just sell them or give them to someone local that needs em. This is my first set of Falkens and despite knowing they aren’t what I thought I am bit gun shy on them enough that I don’t want to try even the up graded version.

We run a very high percentage of our miles on crushed gravel roads, so my experience might not be very applicable. Between the Toyo you mentioned and the BFGs, I've had better luck with the BFGs, longer life. The downside to the BFG is they are very bad about throwing gravel when they are new. When the AT III first came out I tried a set and they didn't hold up to the gravel roads. No personal experience with the Micky Thompson tires.

It's hard to go wrong with any of the 3 you listed. I only have personal experience with the BFG in both mud terrain and all-terrain.
They both did very well in all conditions encountered while hunting. I like the fact that the BFGs have a 3 ply sidewall because we have a lot of sharp rocks where we go quail and chukar hunting.
They are very pricy though.

Not trying to convince you otherwise but what do you dislike about the Falkens?

They are a little different as a stock tire. I dont believe they are 3MPSF rated.

@JLS got it. The tundra factory falkens aren't the standard AT3s.

@Trial153 of the tires you've mentioned I've only run the bfgs. Costco usually has them for a price that is hard to pass up.

I've had good luck with toyo mt's in the past, but haven't used their AT's.

You can get a much larger tire on these trucks with no lift as well. I went up to 275/65-20s with no rub. My brother has the same size mickey thompson baja bosses and likes them.

@JLS got it. The tundra factory falkens aren't the standard AT3s.

@Trial153 of the tires you've mentioned I've only run the bfgs. Costco usually has them for a price that is hard to pass up.

I've had good luck with toyo mt's in the past, but haven't used their AT's.

You can get a much larger tire on these trucks with no lift as well. I went up to 275/65-20s with no rub. My brother has the same size mickey thompson baja bosses and likes them.

If I went that route would I have recalculate the odometer and speedometer? Unless I what I was told by the service manager, which very well maybe in correct they do not have the program to recalibrate at dealers yet or an ETA.
Or maybe it’s an nonissue at all?

If I went that route would I have recalculate the odometer and speedometer? Unless I what I was told by the service manager, which very well maybe in correct they do not have the program to recalibrate at dealers yet or an ETA.
Or maybe it’s an nonissue at all?

They'll be off a little bit yes.

But we hillbillies never worry about that...

I've been running the BFG AT on three seperate trucks for at least 15 years. F150,250,& Tundra
I'm not sure if the compound has changed in the last few years but they absolutely suck in the rain or on hard surfaces. Dirt, snow, mud, no complaints, but on wet hardtop they just don't cut it anymore. I will not put them on any of my vehicles again.

A tire size calculator shows it probably isn’t enough to really worry about. I might look into either way.
I ran bigger all the time with my trucks. With just a small change the difference is negligible until you are cruising the interstate. Even then it's only a couple MPH. Not a lot to worry about speeding tickets. You can always check your odometer against the mile markers for a rough estimate of change. Or have a buddy pace you at 60 and see what it reads.

I've been running the BFG AT on three seperate trucks for at least 15 years. F150,250,& Tundra
I'm not sure if the compound has changed in the last few years but they absolutely suck in the rain or on hard surfaces. Dirt, snow, mud, no complaints, but on wet hardtop they just don't cut it anymore. I will not put them on any of my vehicles again.
They do have two different compounds because diesel trucks were eating them up in 15k. I don’t recall what the designation is that differentiates.

They do have two different compounds because diesel trucks were eating them up in 15k. I don’t recall what the designation is that differentiates.
I normally get ~40k out of a set on either truck. These are at 62k and nowhere near the wear indicators which makes me think the compound has changed. Hard rubber like an old Remington radial tire, great for longevity with no wet traction20230304_122336.jpg20230304_122253.jpg

Back