Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Tire Chain Alternatives

We have Goodyear duratrac tires, for our 4x4 truck with a winch. We only chain up when the snow is deep or its muddier than hell. Honestly, I don't know what else you can use besides chains other than walking... Maybe lockers on your truck.

We have Goodyear duratrac tires, for our 4x4 truck with a winch. We only chain up when the snow is deep or its muddier than hell. Honestly, I don't know what else you can use besides chains other than walking... Maybe lockers on your truck.

That would be my only other suggestion.

From what I've heard Maxtrax work really well for getting un-stuck, but I've never tried them. Shovel and hi-lift for me, but I don't usually get myself into situations I'd need to use them. Typically just deep snow on the lake is the worst I deal with. Sometimes sand can get a bit tricky where I hunt as well.

I'd like to formally apologize to mtmuley. I've reached the limit of my 33' ko2's, two different times this winter. The limit is very clearly 14-16 inches of fresh powder.
Still an incredible all around tire though.

Okey dokey. I've had both. You? mtmuley

Nice. We had 30 inches recently. My Coopers weren't even tested. Wife has Toyo MT's on her rig (her idea not mine) they did ok. mtmuley

I carry hi-lift jack,come-a-long,straps,chains, 10t jack,board scraps ,etc...in my trucks & I keep tire chains in the Tacoma .
Need to get some chains for F150 now. For mud mainly.
Using Kenda Klevers on both trucks now.
Only time I have ever chained up in NM is once in the Pecos in Tacoma & every time I drove the propane delivery truck in ANY wet weather here.....
Trick to not getting stuck in NM is wait or not go.

The Les Schwab chains are so easy to install I don't why you would need an alternative. I carry chains and a shovel. Had to use them multiple times this past season. I had a pair of heavy duty studded chains and I only used them once, as the Les Schwab chains were much easier to install.

I'm learning the hard way. My first thought was damn I need a winch. 2nd thought was damn I need a rear locker. In reality I needed some blocks/scraps and maxxtraxx's.

I carry hi-lift jack,come-a-long,straps,chains, 10t jack,board scraps ,etc...in my trucks & I keep tire chains in the Tacoma .
Need to get some chains for F150 now. For mud mainly.
Using Kenda Klevers on both trucks now.
Only time I have ever chained up in NM is once in the Pecos in Tacoma & every time I drove the propane delivery truck in ANY wet weather here.....
Trick to not getting stuck in NM is wait or not go.

I am driving an 89' Dodge W100.
In Nov i put on my winter setup.
Mastercraft MSR's that are studded.
Actually going today to get my tires switched over for summer.

Something that will really help you is take a lesson on driving off road. There are schools.
Personally i wouldn't have driven in those ruts.

Attachments

• 1121181056.jpg
    1121181056.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
Back