Yeti GOBOX Collection

Timothy's Mentored Hunt Experience

Gerald Martin

With the recent changes to Montana law now allowing ten year old's to hunt without hunter's safety, my ten year old son Timothy was quite excited to learn he was going to be able to hunt two years sooner than he had previously expected.

I know there was a lot of heated discussion on this board and I'm sure other places around Montana about the wisdom of these new changes. As most of you know, I was completely ambivalent in my opinion about the matter and kept my thoughts to myself. :rolleyes:

As daylight fades on the last day of Montana's general season, I haven't heard yet of any serious accidents or threatened mass extinctions of game populations,(with perhaps the exception of localized regions where Crittergetter's son Braden, was unleashed on trophy whitetails.) But, I digress. Back to the subject at hand.

Most of my posts this fall have been focused on my daughter Olivia, and her first season as a newly minted licensed hunter. She had a stellar first hunting season and ended her year with a turkey, black bear, antelope, and two whitetails. Only her elk tag is added to the pot of tag soup that I have heartily contributed personally to.

I made it clear to Timothy at the beginning of the year that since Olivia was older and had waited longer, if there was a question of who would get to go hunting, it would be weighted in Olivia's favor. He was fine with that and it really was not an issue since luck seemed to be Olivia's middle name. Opportunities came and lingered around her nearly every time she came out and it seemed like the harder Timothy and I hunted, the luckier Olivia got. He actually deferred two shot opportunities to her because of various conditions or difficulty and she made them good.

Timothy had actually killed his first big game animal when he was eight on a trip back to my parent's farm in Virginia. He made a great shot with a .50 cal muzzleloader on this button buck.Dwayne and Jenn wedding, Timothy's deer 017 (1).JPG

Our plans for the children's first hunting opportunity consisted of a combined family camping/antelope/youth deer hunt in region 3 where Olivia and I had drawn antelope tags. I picked up an OTC region 3 whitetail tag for the children so they could hopefully fill two deer tags this fall. We set off on the trip with high expectations and hopes for what the next four days would bring.

Timothy stayed in camp as Olivia and I set off for our first day of antelope hunting. He watched us drive back into camp with her first buck taken on the first stalk of the first day with one shot.Olivia's Antelope.JPG

He was with his brother Gareth when he bagged this red fox at 80 yards with an open sighted .22.Gareth's fox.JPG

Youth deer season began the following morning and after taking care of the antelope and the fox, we headed out to scout for the following morning. Our first glassing spot turned up two bucks that were definitely big enough to hang the children's tags on.IMG_6268.JPG
Snowcrest family camp 011.jpg
Opening morning found us sitting on the ridge 250 yards from where we had seen the bucks the previous evening. As dawn began to break, I was glassing in earnest trying to find the bucks. First light turned up some does 800 yards out, when I glanced down the draw to where the bucks were emerging from a cut in the valley at 265 yards. It was Timothy's turn to shoot first and the deer were definitely within range, but the tall grass prevented him from getting prone on the bipods and he was not steady from a sitting position. The deer disappeared from view only to come back into view on the opposite ridge. They were now 310 yards but we still couldn't get steady. Finally, about 15 minutes later the bucks were at 370 and he was steady from a prone position. He felt good, but a stiff breeze and the extreme distance were more than I was comfortable with so I called off the shot. He and Olivia dry fired 15-20 times on the bucks as they fed further up the ridge. As we tried to close the distance a bit later, we ended up spooking the bucks and they blew over the ridge into the timber. First chance blown.

I didn't mention Timothy's personal standard for a deer he wanted to tag. He had his hopes set on at least a 3x3 before he punched his tag. As we chased after the bucks, a forked horn jumped out of his bed and posed at 150 yards. Timothy passed and watched him stott over the ridge.

We headed back to camp for lunch and a regroup and decided to drive to the other side of the unit for a chance at a whitetail doe. As hunting luck would go, when opportunity knocked, Olivia was the one with the bipod on her gun and she made a one shot kill on this mature doe at 250yds. With the doe down, Timothy settled in behind the gun and had several fleeting chances at the fawn. He just needed a few seconds before firing but the opportunity was gone before he could squeeze the trigger. He was genuinely happy for his sister, even though it was technically his turn to shoot.IMG_6333.JPG

Late night getting back to camp led to sleeping in and processing the doe before heading back out for an afternoon hunt. Again, whitetail does were our priority as we would not be returning to region 3 for the remainder of the season. We saw several does that night but again, fleeting opportunity in the brush never materialized into a shot and eventually a bull moose wandered into the setting and spooked the deer. As we were trying to get back on the does, an unsuspecting forked horn whitetail browsed with 20 yards of us for nearly half an hour. Nope. Too small. Later that night, we shared a can of sardines in relative silence as the moon rose over the mountain. There was a quiet disappointment, but a growing sense of understanding that desire and effort do not necessarily guarantee the hoped for outcome.IMG_6389.JPGIMG_6391.JPG

Last edited:
Great story and photos. I'm guessing it was difficult for Timothy to watch his sister having so much success while he waited, but I'm sure he enjoyed his hunting season at the same time. I'm impressed with his maturity at passing up shot opportunities and I'm sure he'll have plenty of notched tags in his future. Congratulations on the quality family time you guys had this season, along with the animals.

Congratulations on you and your kids hunts. They are going to make some fine hunters and young adults.

Hunting season progressed and each time we went out it seemed like the recipe was the same. Does and spikes, seasoned with the occasional forked horn, all offering themselves broadside at reasonable distances. Timothy would remove the shell from the chamber and dry-fire on them, building his confidence and strengthening his resolve to hold out for a 3x3 or better.

After several trips with just Timothy, Olivia was getting bored at home and wanted to join us. No problem, suit up and get in. We headed for a spot close to home where the whitetails are usually present. Timothy and I set up with Olivia thirty yards to the side looking into another draw. It wasn't long before two decent bucks and a doe made a quick appearance on the other side of the ravine. Unfortunately, we must have moved because they spotted us and put another hundred yards between us and them before settling down to feed. There was no way to close the distance and Timothy was not confident in his ability to shoot that far and he was still uncertain that they were big enough.When Olivia came over, she was certain of two things, they were big enough and she could make the shot. It was dead calm and I figured that if she thought she could make the shot, she probably could. She did.IMG_6484.JPG Timothy was happy for her and was thinking that yes, this buck was big enough.

It didn't help watching his mother go out for an evening hunt and return an hour later with not just doe, but a nice 3x3.

As the season neared it's end, my elk tag was filled and Timothy's deer tag was priority. We put in a hard seven mile round trip into the canyon where I killed my buck last year. Nada, but does.

Finally, we were down to the end of the week of Thanksgiving. No problems I figured. Whitetail hunting is better the later it gets.

Cold weather and a bit of fatigue had set in so our early morning starts began at about ten a.m.
Thanksgiving Day. - Two does at 550yards.
Friday- A long march up a steep hill yielded an opportunity on a doe at last light. By the time he decided to shoot her there was too much brush so we had to stalk closer. In the midst of our stealthy stalk a nice 4x4 made an unexpected appearance and busted us before Timothy could get on him. I grunted him back into view twice more, but it was too brushy. A few tears of frustration were shed. Timothy handled it a bit better and stuck to his standards by choosing to walk away from the now broadside doe at 30 yards. There was tomorrow.
Sat. -This was our last day to hunt due to church and dinner commitments. Our pre-dawn start was foiled by Timothy having an upset stomach so we went back to bed with plans of heading out mid-morning.
Our late breakfast was interrupted by the sight of a buck chasing does through our yard. Timothy grabbed the rifle and followed the buck's progress from window to window. Another forked horn. Away went the rifle and we finished breakfast. As we headed out the driveway to start our 2 1/2 mile hike into our spot, the forky made another tempting appearance. Timothy shook his head. He was sticking to his standards.

We double-timed the hike into our spot, driven by the desire to keep warm and a growing sense that time was running down. One other hunter had beaten us to the trailhead and his tracks seemed to be heading right where we wanted to go. I wasn't really worried since it was a large area and I figured we could work around him without compromising each other's chances.

As we neared the jumping off point, I spotted the other hunter @ 150 yards from us. He didn't see us, nor did he see the spike whitetail that was only 30 yards from him. I glanced over at Timothy. Did he want to shoot that buck if he gave us an opportunity? Nope. Standards. The last we saw of that buck for an hour, he was standing five feet from where the hunter had left his backpack and walked out the spine of the ridge. He smelled the pack and ran off in the opposite direction. The hunter never saw him.

By the other hunter's appearance and fidgety movements, I predicted he would not stay long. We headed down the other side of the ridge to sit an area he couldn't see from where he was and where we still had a good chance to see a buck. It was 2 p.m. Plenty of time for the magic to happen and plenty of time for us to freeze.
Gerald and Travis elk hunt 092.jpg

A cup of coffee and a PB&J sandwich helped out with the freezing part.

An hour later the magic started happening. Our little spiker friend made his appearance running a spastic route with his nose to the ground. A few minutes later a doe and her fawn appeared.Gerald and Travis elk hunt 095.jpg

As a few more does and fawns came onto the ridge I had a conversation with Timothy asking what he wanted to do if we didn't see a bigger buck. It was his tag, he could shoot any deer he wanted, be it the spike or a doe or he could eat it if he wanted to hold out till the end. I could tell his desire to shoot a deer was overriding his standards at this point, but he wasn't quite ready to end it with the best hour and a half of the day coming up.

We settled on a game plan of waiting until after sundown to let a buck make an appearance. If no buck showed, we'd try to shoot a mature doe rather than the spike. If all the opportunities vanished, he was okay with not shooting a deer. Game on.

The shadows lengthened....Gerald and Travis elk hunt 099.jpg

Staying warm was taking real effort. I was continually asking Timothy if he was warm enough. He affirmed he was.Gerald and Travis elk hunt 100.jpgGerald and Travis elk hunt 106.jpg

No more bucks were showing up. The spiker was still making his rounds, annoying every doe he came in range of. The sun began it's quick decent. One hour to go...Gerald and Travis elk hunt 110.jpg

The last hour was waning quickly and our internal temperatures were dropping when I posed the question. How about we go try and kill whichever deer we can? Timothy was more than agreeable. We picked our gear up and slowly crept toward the top of the ridge. Fifteen minutes of light left and another dilemma. Shoot the fawn doe or the spike buck 250 yards down the steep canyon and the opposite direction from where we wanted to go, or hope that the first mature doe and fawn were a hundred yards above us like I hoped. My gamble for the latter payed off and we soon spotted the doe and fawn above us.

Of course, brush was blocking a clear shot, so we had to stalk closer. Timothy found out how sharp deer are to movement and noise as she picked us off and began a nervous exit. She soon blew and ran. Good for us, bad for her she picked a route that was into the open for a good shot. I bleated at her and she stopped, broadside at 100 yards to look back.

Timothy made a great move of getting into position for a possible shot as she ran and was ready when she stopped. My command to shoot wasn't necessary, but I gave it anyway. Bang! Flop. Perfect through the shoulder shot, Dead. Right there.Gerald and Travis elk hunt 129.jpgGerald and Travis elk hunt 131.jpg

Timothy was happy. I was proud beyond words at his ability to make good choices of shoot or don't shoot through the season and his lack of complaining when desire and effort didn't seem to be paying off. Normally, I wouldn't be excited about packing a doe 2 1/2 miles back to the truck, but this one was definitely worth it.

Many thanks to everyone who made it possible for Timothy and I to experience the great opportunity that the mentored hunt provided for us this year. Hopefully, it was a great experience for many other youngsters as well.

Last edited:
It's hard on younger siblings to watch older ones especially when they are successful. I know we often start a little younger on big game here in the east, but I think its important to get them hunting before little league etc. takes hold of them. Great pictures thanks for sharing.

Outstanding!! Thanks, for posting. My kids have had a great season also. I haven't posted pictures here though. I just haven't felt the need to have some of the regular clowns take away from my child's trophy, with more paranoid ideas and debate of the youth mentored programs. Your family has had a season they will always remember. Congrats.

No matter the excursion, the Martin family always looks to be having the time of their lives. Very happy for you and the family. Big congrats to Timothy.

I'm impressed with Timothy's ability to stick to his standards! He's going to kill some big deer in the future with fortitude like that!

Cool story and pics. Way to go on your first deer Timothy way to stick to your standards, we all know how hard that can be. Feeding the family is something my boys always enjoy at supper time when we are eating deer, they always say feeding the fam. That is a nice doe you shot and should make alot of meat, and now go get a nice buck next year.

Awesome job Timothy!!! From the last pic in the opening of this thread I thought his season had ended like mine, so glad he got it done, and very deserving of that deer. Pulling it off in the last minute like that he may have a future making hunting shows, sounded very exciting. Also, I'm not sure what Olivia's commission is from Big Fin for wearing her lucky hat, but after seeing that photo of her I decided to go to the store link and buy my own lucky hat.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back