Caribou Gear

Tikka or X-Bolt

Brian in Montana

I'm not a rich man so I have budget and squirrel away money when I want to buy something - I'm about halfway there for a new rifle. I had a .270 years ago and always wanted another one. So I've done a lot of thinking as to make and model. I'm a pretty simple guy, not into bells and whistles. I require light weight (because of the way I usually hunt), accuracy, and a crisp single-stage trigger. Beyond that, I'm pretty ambivalent. So I've about settled it down to An X-Bolt Composite Stalker or a T3X. I'm leaning toward the Tikka because I have another one in .308 and pretty much like everything about it. So that's how I'm leaning. If you can convince me otherwise, I'm open. Like to hear it and why.

X bolt hands down. More little features that are user friendly than the other option (tang safety, polymer magazine, bolt unlock button, etc). Accurate? Check. Crisp trigger? Check. Light weight? Check.

I have 2 X bolts and don't think I will ever go back to any other production rifle, but just my opinion. Also, might I suggest the stainless stalker for better weather resistance and aesthetics.

Brian,
you can find my review of my Xbolt Hells Canyon on here. I really can't say anything bad about it. I think you would have to get into some serious money to surpass it. I am looking to get a .270 in it in the next year myself.

I love my tikkas, but prefer a 24” barrel for 25-06 and .270 and I think those tikkas come with 22” barrels factory. I would only buy a tikka .270 if I planned on rebarrelling to 24”. Obviously millions of animals have been killed with .270 barrels shorter than 24”, but since we were asked our opinion, I have shared it. If not Tikka, I would probably save a little more and get a Bergara.

I own both. They will both be good shooters. I prefer the stock on the X-bolt. Overall it just feels like a higher quality rifle. The X-Bolt would get my vote.

I like the bolt release lever on the X-Bolt. The Tikka does not have one. As I hunt with my kids, that is a dealbreaker for me to not have one. I don't want my kids cycling an action with the safety off. I have 2 X-Bolts and love them. Both in 7mm-08.

I love my T3, but to reiterate MNelknut, I don’t love the safety. My son will not use that rifle until he is VERY well versed. Heck, I’m paranoid enough to walk around without a round in the chamber 99% of the time. That is probably enough for me to buy a different way next time.

Big fan of Browning, big fan of the x-bolt. Had my heart set on one, then fondled the tikka bolt...then the sako A7...bought the sako. It has a button to open bolt with safety on and is smooth as glass. In my head the sako in 300 win was a little beefier/heavier and checked all my boxes at the time. I would still buy an xbolt in just about any caliber if my wallet would let me.

I love my tikkas, but prefer a 24” barrel for 25-06 and .270 and I think those tikkas come with 22” barrels factory. I would only buy a tikka .270 if I planned on rebarrelling to 24”. Obviously millions of animals have been killed with .270 barrels shorter than 24”, but since we were asked our opinion, I have shared it. If not Tikka, I would probably save a little more and get a Bergara.
The Tikka has a 22.4 inch barrel. The X-bolt is 22. Not that .4 inches would make much difference in a hunting rifle. There might be other options in the X-bolt I'm not aware of to get one in a 24" barrel. I'm actually considering another Remmington 700 or a Vanguard as a close 3rd/4th choice for that very reason. Not crazy about either of their trigger systems.

LOVE my x-bolt hells canyon. Honestly, don't know much about the Tikka's other than my buddy having feeding and trigger issues with three different T3 lites. I'm sure its an anomaly but it's my only experience with them.

The Tikka is going to have a higher probability of being more accurate right out of the box.

I own both. The xbolt is nice due to the bolt release feature, and to me the stock feels better and more sturdy. The Tikka has a trigger that cant be beat. They both group very well. Get the one that fits you the best and go hunting!

I have an X-bolt, and the quality is superb. The rifle is more more accurate than I am. I like the way it handles, the bolt on my mine is very smooth to operate, and it feels lighter than it is.

I have had a few and still own a tikka t3. It's a great rifle but I like some of the features on the x bolts as well. I think both would suit your needs equally. For what it's worth my t3 is a flat out nail driver and was right out of the box.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back