Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Threat to Wyoming migration

Prior to posting, I went back through and reread this thread. One of things I think you got wrong @wllm, is that an acre of development = an acre of disturbance. At one point you compared 700 acres of contiguous solar to 100s of smaller well pads scattered over a large area (my #s might be slightly off).

But what that disregards is the buffering disturbance around that development that wildlife also avoid.

Wildlife will avoid development by some buffer distance (I'm sure it depends on the critter and the time of the year), we have the collaring data to show that. So if we're going to look at the total impact to wildlife we need to include those buffer distances. For solar that is only factored in on the perimeter acres for the single large development. But for the O&G it's every one of those pads and long every road. If we do that then you can actually pass the smell test, and get to a point I think we all inherently recognize, which is that a single 700 ac contiguous development is less harmful that 200, 3.5 ac patches of development connected by miles of roads.

It's really no different than supporting denser urban housing over large ranchette developments.

Since this thread was created, I lobbied, albeit unsuccessfully, that a proposed orchard development near me, which was already required to provide 1:1 mitigation (conservation easement on undeveloped lands), needed to include a buffer distance as part of the development acreage. However, I was successful in at least preventing that immediately adjacent area as being included in part of the mitigation acres. Not ideal but at least the patch of grass next to the fence wasn't being counted as a positive for wildlife. A small victory for the migratory elk that calve in the area.

Prior to posting, I went back through and reread this thread. One of things I think you got wrong @wllm, is that an acre of development = an acre of disturbance. At one point you compared 700 acres of contiguous solar to 100s of smaller well pads scattered over a large area (my #s might be slightly off).

But what that disregards is the buffering disturbance around that development that wildlife also avoid.

Wildlife will avoid development by some buffer distance (I'm sure it depends on the critter and the time of the year), we have the collaring data to show that. So if we're going to look at the total impact to wildlife we need to include those buffer distances. For solar that is only factored in on the perimeter acres for the single large development. But for the O&G it's every one of those pads and long every road. If we do that then you can actually pass the smell test, and get to a point I think we all inherently recognize, which is that a single 700 ac contiguous development is less harmful that 200, 3.5 ac patches of development connected by miles of roads.

It's really no different than supporting denser urban housing over large ranchette developments.

Since this thread was created, I lobbied, albeit unsuccessfully, that a proposed orchard development near me, which was already required to provide 1:1 mitigation (conservation easement on undeveloped lands), needed to include a buffer distance as part of the development acreage. However, I was successful in at least preventing that immediately adjacent area as being included in part of the mitigation acres. Not ideal but at least the patch of grass next to the fence wasn't being counted as a positive for wildlife. A small victory for the migratory elk that calve in the area.
I think that's a fair criticism, actually had a similar thought after listening to a Meat Eater a while back discussing the impacts of the haul road. To that extent the oil field roads have a larger impact than the pad sites themselves.

Disappointing to say the least. Schmid made a good comment on wyofile that given how low the bid was would indicate low likelihood of actual drilling. Let’s Hope something changes either way.

So I know this is alittle older post but I have few questions

Probably no way to find out but is there any thinking that collared deer avoid areas of high human presence since they are constantly netted and chased around with helicopter?

Comparing a big urban area small lots with lots of homes vs say 5 acre lots and houses is a great example I have lived in both and never seen any deer in the urban environment but had deer and elk on my property regularly out in the country settings. I have trouble see how a 700 acre solar field is better then a oil and gas field? I would prefer to have neither if possible as I am sure they have a impact on the wildlife.

Here is how it ( Parcel 194) looks right now. I think it has had development on it in the past from the look of things.
1696698103679.png

Both Antelope units are 8 -11 points to draw. I can see the riparian area would be quite a draw in terms of feed for migrating and resident antelope. I also assume there is a good crossing on the New Fork.

I guess my point is, the migration has persisted since the 90's with this OG disturbance. This severe Winter not withstanding.

but what amazed me was what level of development was coming....

1696699122063.png

Here is how it ( Parcel 194) looks right now. I think it has had development on it in the past from the look of things.
View attachment 295699

Both Antelope units are 8 -11 points to draw. I can see the riparian area would be quite a draw in terms of feed for migrating and resident antelope. I also assume there is a good crossing on the New Fork.

I guess my point is, the migration has persisted since the 90's with this OG disturbance. This severe Winter not withstanding.

View attachment 295707

Look at the bottleneck of pronhorn migrating through that parcel. What more evidence do you and the State Land Board need to suggest that this might be a critical pinch point for pronghorn?
Maybe, its worth protecting a few critical areas and not assuming things will just persist?

TWS-map.jpeg

Lots of folks think voting for the top 5 elected officials really doesn't have consequences...that's just not true. Voting for people based on the letter of their party has a steep price to pay. Note they didn't even bat an eye at selling out our wildlife, migration corridors, and how they ignored the GF recommendation as well as the various wildlife NGO's.

Gordon must hold zero sway with the other land board members, and his vote of no is a joke. He knew how the other board members were going to vote. His vote was symbolic and the reason this happened is because he's scared chitless to designate any migration corridors. The evidence is overwhelming and Gordon hides under the bed.

Wildlife loses again.

View attachment 295699

View attachment 295707

It's the frog in a pan of water being heated until it boils.

Everything has a tipping point, including how much disturbance is too much.

Also the impacts are already being felt, pronghorn statewide are in the absolute tank. The winter compounded what has been occuring for at least the last 15 years or more. Development isn't all of it, but certainly a major contributing factor.

The Gov. is so pissed about BLM "overreach" in the Rock Springs draft RMP that he is taking no prisoners. I watched the meeting last week and it was nice to hear him defend that the science is pretty clear, but clearly doesn't matter that much. It does bother me that they completely ignored WGFD on this one. They've done the science and worked with Kirkwood on stip 149 (which I don't think goes far enough but is at least something). My understanding was that designation for this corridor was coming up soon, but I think it has been tabled for a bit. Too bad.

Sure feels like conservation lip service now looking back.

It's the frog in a pan of water being heated until it boils.

Everything has a tipping point, including how much disturbance is too much.

Also the impacts are already being felt, pronghorn statewide are in the absolute tank. The winter compounded what has been occuring for at least the last 15 years or more. Development isn't all of it, but certainly a major contributing factor.
factors - plural - extraction activities, WGF handing out antelope doe licenses like antelope are walleye in Glendo Reservoir, the winter of '23 along the I80 corridor, and did I mention WGF handing out doe licenses as if its an extinction campaign?

(bashing hunting forums is tempting, but what Minnesotan wouldn't come fill three doe tags for under a hundred bucks? that said, a BigFin sticky on this sub-forum saying "Reconsider shooting antelope does" would be amazing, you can go shoot 20 whitetails down south if it's really all about the venison)

Last edited:
How and why was all of that movement data collected in @appaloosa's post? What's the point, if it makes no difference in management?
Worth reading twice, and great question. When it comes right down to it, Gordon and his administration don't give a crap about wildlife.

If they did, these kinds of decisions wouldn't happen.

Between this, throwing a temper tantrum about the Marton sale, and his hissy fit about the Rock Springs RMP, that absolute shit show of a task force, it's pretty apparent where his priorities lie.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back