Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Threat to Wyoming migration

Having been to SW Wyoming and used gas wells as cover to stalk antelope, I'm skeptical.

I have seen a picture of Caribou using the shade from the Alaska pipeline outside a first hand friend's office window on the Alaskan North Slope.

I'd say trains kill more pronghorn in the winter.

I think the headline is very questionable, and 100% click bait, but I have zero question or doubt as to the impact these projects have on migration routes of these species. The science makes it pretty much indisputable and each study seems to support that conclusion even more.

The raw politics of it and anti/pro (insert bias here) media messaging are what make it seem fuzzy to anyone not inclined to read the science.

Relevant map
1582657845269.png

Although... apparently renewable projects get a pass and can screw up herds

No pass from me. Same end result for wildlife. Same concerns. Unfortunately, like the same outcome for wildlife.

people forget the bonus values of this stuff. the snakes use the buildings as cover, the birds use the stuff for nests and vantage points, the quadrupeds animals use them for shade or wind shelters. the plowed roads become good means of getting around when things get, "deep". the newly seeded ROW's replenish the native prairie, once done the reclaimed sites can't be seen..... so what's the problem?

people forget the bonus values of this stuff. the snakes use the buildings as cover, the birds use the stuff for nests and vantage points, the quadrupeds animals use them for shade or wind shelters. the plowed roads become good means of getting around when things get, "deep". the newly seeded ROW's replenish the native prairie, once done the reclaimed sites can't be seen..... so what's the problem?
Yeah man, how did wildlife ever survive for billions of years without anthropogenic assistance?

It’s all a balancing act. We need energy and we need wild land and open space. In my mind there is plenty of opportunity to develop energy on private land. When it comes to public land I tend to be against any and all development, or at least incredibly skeptical.

Relevant map
View attachment 129144

That's a cool map and i try to keep up with the Migration initiative.

One thing that has helped the most are the Wildlife over and under passes on the Highways in Wyoming and Nevada.

Those gas wells are pretty well spaced out on the Jonah. i'd bet mitigation measures should include forage and browse reestablishment... As well as water and air quality monitoring.

I don't come from a place that has huge amounts of mineral and energy development, SEK was a big strip mining area for coal before I was born and I've seen oil wells and wind farms in western Kansas. My perspective may be much different than those who live in the areas being discussed, but I'd much rather see interspersed oil or gas wells than these giant wind farms. Ideally we would get energy development off of public lands, but I don't know how feasible such an undertaking would be.

When I was planning gas developments on federal leases, we had to take into account big game migrations. This included migration corridors and migration times. Activity would have to shut down during certain times of the year. Surface disturbances were limited to certain areas to prevent disturbing the migrations. Reclamation had to happen almost immediately. And don't get me started on sage grouse leks.

When I was planning gas developments on federal leases, we had to take into account big game migrations. This included migration corridors and migration times. Activity would have to shut down during certain times of the year. Surface disturbances were limited to certain areas to prevent disturbing the migrations. Reclamation had to happen almost immediately. And don't get me started on sage grouse leks.
Bingo, we have a winner!! there is some method to the madness and precautions are taken with lots of influence from the Bios....

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back