Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Thoughts on score?

huntmt454

I am new to this forum and been lurking around here and monster muleys and wondering your thoughts on score. It kinda makes me sad to read some posts about an elk or deer not being big enough or being dissed on the size of your animal. I have shot a big bull in my book that scores 376 and am just as happy with the cow i got this year. is the score ruining hunting. The way i see it is the hunt made the animal not the score. I love to see pictures of big bulls and bucks and dream of getting one for the wall. Seems to me you get put down to much by some to show off your rag horn. Not all hunters are this way and please don't take this the wrong way. just venting about stuff i have read on other forums

brandon

Honestly, I haven't seen many people being put down for pictures of any type of animal unless the picture is unflattering...ie. overly bloody, taken with a beer bottle, etc. Even then, most people say congrats on the (animal) but you need to learn how to take a picture. Hunting isn't only about the rack or the amount that is harvested. It's the entire event. Each person has their own reason for hunting and finds enjoyment in different aspects of the hunt. It really is what makes the hunting experience such a great sport.

Matt is absolutely correct, I have seen too many of the Quality animals Matt and his family have taken. But the smiles on their faces don't change regardless it being a Ram taken by his father or a Forkhorn taken by his father, they were just glad to have been together hunting. It is a sport, not a race, take what the Hunting Gods give ya! John

I see just the opposite. When someone post a pic of a buck or bull no matter the size all I see are people giving them props. Especially at MM. I can't think of a single post where someone was put down because of the size of animal they posted a pic of. What forums are you looking at?

"I love to see pictures of big bulls and bucks and dream of getting one for the wall". What, your 376 bull isn't big enough for your wall?

I think what he's trying to say is to many people put to much emphasis on B&C, P&Y, or SCI score than praising the animal for what it is. I see it a lot, guys care more about how many points their animals score than the actual hunt itself. For me, the actual hunt is more important than what my animal scores, YMMV.

AKBEARHUNTER, your correct on my thoughts. The only one i am talking about are gov tags, people saying that you have to shoot a 400+ class bull.

The way i see it is the hunt made the animal not the score.

The only one i am talking about are gov tags, people saying that you have to shoot a 400+ class bull.

If you are talking about gov tags that are purchased for tens of thousands of dollars and then buying your guides and maybe a few spotters and end up with a 350" bull and get shit; I can live with that. In my opinion, neither the hunt nor the experience were the basis for the hand-in-the-air to begin with. JMO

I like that Trophy Game Records of the World (TGR) will enter any horned or antlered animal. A kid could shoot his first spike and grandpa or dad or anyone really could enter it for him and he get a plaque if they want. The TGR annual banquet is neat too, they auction off a lot of youth hunts and they can be a good deal. They're "basic philosophy" is that every animal is a trophy and they promote hunting, the guides, the outfitters and the land that supports it. They record all of that in their records. They have special categories for many different kinds of weapons, hunter/huntresses, and land, as well as, species. That's a pro hunting record system there.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back