This is what's wrong with hunting.

It's easy to sit back and critique this video having not been there in that situation. I do feel like the guy tried his best to recover the animal after the whole thing went south, but I don't know all the details from this 15-minute video.
It does seem that he did attempt on that second bull. I don’t care for the glory shot toward the end with the carcass, or the fact that he said he “recovered” his largest bull.

Perception of hunting is a constant issue, and someone claiming they recovered their bull and only caring about the antlers is a bad look.

For the topic of recovery, Even the Wilks Ranch will let you on to recover an animal.

I haven’t watched this video. I’m sure it’s as cringe worthy as most.

What's your opinion on criticism? Do you think it's best done in private or do you think public criticism is better for the image of hunting?

I feel like I can see both sides, curious what others think on what is best for public perception.

Based on his response to my comment, this guy doesn't like criticism. Typical passive aggressive shot, followed by excuses.

Just looked at the comments to the video. If we take him at his word that he had permission to recover before the hunt that was later taken back is this really an issue? I've had stuff like that happen here in Va too.

His mistake was posting it in my opinion. Especially with the other guy wounding one too. But I'll say this, he could have edited it to make it seem like it was all fine.

What a tool, he should have gotten a wanton waste ticket. He seems like the type of “bowhunter” that probably has a lot of antlers and no meat in the freezer. In my opinion if you can’t recover the meat you should not be able to keep the antlers. That crap on youtube is a disgrace to ethical hunters

I try not to judge too harshly, I know things sometimes don't go as planned, but still this certainly not a hunt I would have put on YouTube as if I was proud of it. The guy did some good stalking to get into range, (sort of, I think he said it was about 55 yards), but its really a shame that bull was wasted.

I have been in the situation shooting a deer right on a boundary. I know how easy it is to fall into that trap. I shot a deer southwest of Meeker in a little depression called Indian Valley. It was a nice 4 point muley and where I shot it was perfectly legal.

However, I was then in a quandary because the buck wandered maybe 15 feet and died right on private property of a ranch owner who was harassing hunters who insisted on hunting that patch of public property. I had a choice back then, pay a $500.00 ticket for not retrieving the carcass or paying a $50.00 trespass fine. At the time, there was no exception for the $500 ticket if the animal died on private property. I opted to pay the $50.00 trespass fine. I did kinda see a bit of karma. The sheriff issued that rancher a summons for violating a court order when he locked the gates to the road which was under court orders to be open for public access.

The temptation is great, but now I will not hunt close to private property unless I am confident I can drop it or positive that it will wander further onto public property. I hunt like Randy. If I wound an animal and can't retrieve it for any reason, my hunt is done. That is just plain ethics that I put on myself.

I am 65 now and have been hunting practically every year since I turned 16 except while I was in the Marine Corps, so I have knocked down a lot of deer and antelope over the years. I have only not retrieved one that I wounded and not found after it crossed onto another farmer's land and I could not relocate him after I got permission to go get him. This situation is likely to come up with just about everyone if they hunt long enough.

This has definitely made me rethink hunting property boundaries. Ive never really had to worry about boundaries at all until this season.
The ending of the video just left a sour taste in my mouth....I took it like he briefly mentioned the waste and really focused on the antlers. I guess we dont know what happened off camera...but still, it maybe could have made for a teaching moment?

The video comments are erased? Did not see any.
Like how he say's he hit the first bull 'high in shoulder' when it was a horrible neck shot, not on shoulder at all that I could see....

Sorry I bothered to watch that jagwad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back