Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

This is what's wrong with hunting.

Just to add my experience to the equation from having trailed with dogs quite a few wounded animals, there is no "usually" with wounded animals. Sometimes they act like they were never hit, sometimes they run straight the direction they were facing, sometimes they wheel and go back the way they were coming from, and they will jump a fence with their dying heartbeat. I've recovered deer within feet of a fence they just jumped, and have found literally feet of gut hung on a top strand of wire. Some go to water, some gain elevation, some bed multiple times, some bed only a final time. Whatever you've heard about what a wounded animal will do, forget it, I've probably seen them do the opposite.

Just something to keep in mind when considering shooting near a property line.

Re: archery hunting private property lines - it pays to know what the state laws are. In Iowa you can legally cross a private property boundary without permission on foot and without a weapon to retrieve a deer when following a visible blood trail. If you find your animal, you cannot leave any waste behind. This makes sense in a state with lots of small properties. I have hunted many stands right on the edge of private, because I know I can retrieve the animal if I need to.

Courtesy obviously goes a long way beyond the letter of the law. I ask permission to hunt adjacent properties to my stands, and even though the answer is usually "no", I have introduced myself in person to these landowners, and I explain where I will be hunting near their property and when. I also leave a personal card with my contact info, and encourage them to text or call me if they have any reason to. When/if I did need to retrieve an animal, I contact them in advance anyways, despite not being legally required, so I can maintain good neighbor relationships.

Another point to consider is shot placement. A liver shot is lethal, but the animal might take an hour to expire, and/or travel a mile. I have lost 2 does I arrowed in the liver that promptly bedded down, but then a rutting buck kicked them out of their beds and chased them for who knows how long before they finally died. An arrow to the pumphouse, however, especially with a mechanical broadhead, will drop a deer within 100 yards and in less than 10 seconds. It's a harder shot to make because it's a small target, and largely obstructed by the front shoulder blade unless the deer is quartering away. Double lung is also a pretty quick kill - this is my go to for property lines even when I have permission to retrieve. I used to take more marginal shots like single lung or liver, but no more, as the pain of losing those two does was enough to switch to more ethical bowhunting tactics.

I am still a little confused over these rules.
Comparing it to the UK, the deer are wild, they aren't owned by anyone whilst they are alive, however, once the die, they become the property of the landowner whose property they died on, 99% of the time the landowner will give permission to find it, but on doing so it's their's to do with as they please, @leec270 is an expert tracker and is often called upon to track wounded deer.
To alleviate this happening there are a lot of hunters in the UK, (not me) who head shoot deer, not ethical in my opinion, boiler room for me, or neck shot at close range.
Seeing it from a non resident alien's point of view surely the private landowner has everything to gain by keeping the meat, or isn't that permitted?
Or by doing so are they just encouraging more hunters to shoot too close to boundaries, I guess that must be the case?
Cheers
Richard

Lots of differences because of culture, tradition, and custom

the deer are wild, they aren't owned by anyone whilst they are alive,
In most states deer are considered a public resource and owned collectively by the public, so it's a dig to everyone when an animal is left to die slowly, rot, or go to waste. That's why there are penalties for wanton waste and poaching, and not retrieving meat from animals is perceived poorly by many/most hunters.
once the die, they become the property of the landowner whose property they died on
In most (all?) states deer belong to the person who made the fatal shot on them. Not only that, responsibility to take the meat off the animal is conferred to that hunter.
99% of the time the landowner will give permission to find it, but on doing so it's their's to do with as they please,
Many (all?) western states the landowner may refuse permission. This might be due to mistrusts of strangers with guns, not wanting anyone to disturb hunting on their own property, or just stubbornness. Some eastern states grant permission to the hunter to retrieve on private land.
@leec270 is an expert tracker and is often called upon to track wounded deer.
Europe has a strong tradition of tracking wounded animals with dogs. The US does not.
Seeing it from a non resident alien's point of view surely the private landowner has everything to gain by keeping the meat, or isn't that permitted? Or by doing so are they just encouraging more hunters to shoot too close to boundaries, I guess that must be the case?
99.5% of the time the landowner who refuses access to retrieve will not keep any meat from an animal that moved to their property and died. The animal will rot. It's not about who gets the meat, it's about refusing to let a stranger tromp around on property you own.

In ND you can legally recover game on private land without a weapon, however I’d just ask permission so I could bring my bow or rifle with.

99.5% of the time the landowner who refuses access to retrieve will not keep any meat from an animal that moved to their property and died. The animal will rot. It's not about who gets the meat, it's about refusing to let a stranger tromp around on property you own.

Is it even legal for the landowner to keep the meat? I was under the impression it wasn't.

Also I'm not sure if it would have been legal for the landowner to finish off the wounded elk had it come bedded down in his yard.

in defense of the landowner
some, not all, but some leave gates open, disturb livestock, damage fences, damage fields. Some make their living from what they produce on their farm and folks not raised on farm dont always understand why a rancher would get upset by driving through a field of grass. maybe he was preparing to bale it. We let them but would go with them in an effort to help them while protecting, the ranch. However, on the flip side, some are very considerate and some have even sent thank you cards to us after they leave. We found more hunters to be stand up people, than those who were arrogant, destructive and unappreciative

Also I'm not sure if it would have been legal for the landowner to finish off the wounded elk had it come bedded down in his yard.
If that is the case, maybe the rules need to be looked at again?
That does not sit well with me, be humane and end the animals suffering as soon as possible in my opinion.
Cheers
Richard

That does not sit well with me, be humane and end the animals suffering as soon as possible in my opinion.
Cheers
Richard

I would imagine that would create as many problems as it would solve.

Cheers
Richard
Richard, the problem lies in our permitting for big game. To legally kill an animal you need to possess a tag for it. If the landowner does not, then it can't legally be done. To say "I was putting it out of it's misery" could lead to an open season on poaching. A police officer is allowed to do it at a vehicle collision, but that's about it as far as I know. I don't believe that a CPO can do it, maybe some folks from out west can confirm that. But even if they could they would have a lot more things to do than come to your place and finish off an animal.

Re: can landowner keep the meat? Depends on the state. Iowa if landowner has a hunting tag they can finish it off and keep it. Or if it's already dead can ask DNR for a salvage tag and keep it.

Richard, the problem lies in our permitting for big game. To legally kill an animal you need to possess a tag for it. If the landowner does not, then it can't legally be done. To say "I was putting it out of it's misery" could lead to an open season on poaching. A police officer is allowed to do it at a vehicle collision, but that's about it as far as I know. I don't believe that a CPO can do it, maybe some folks from out west can confirm that. But even if they could they would have a lot more things to do than come to your place and finish off an animal.
Thanks Dave, yes I can see now that it could be a problem, so that is the difference between our countries, as you experienced with me, no tags required to kill a deer in the UK, although we can easily find ourselves on the wrong side of the law, my friend shot an injured buck on the road outside his farm, only problem was he did it just as the armed police arrived on scene as they had been called by a member of the public, he almost lost his firearms licence and guns!
What he should of done is rung the police himself and get authorisation, our country has gone mad where firearms are concerned.
Cheers
Richard

Didn’t watch the video and after reading 4 replies got the gist of it. Glad I didn’t waste my time.

It boggles my mind that some people are so proud to wrap their hands around antlers after the body is rotten and wasted.......my self-imposed rule if I don't eat the meat the antlers don't mean sh!t.

As he proudly drives back to FL or wherever he came from with the massive rack hanging out the back....WTF

I agree with others, that's why I seem to only watch Randy, Steve R., and etc. occasionally, "celebrity" hunters and youtube wanna-be's just make me want to puke. 🤮

It boggles my mind that some people are so proud to wrap their hands around antlers after the body is rotten and wasted.......my self-imposed rule if I don't eat the meat the antlers don't mean sh!t.

As he proudly drives back to FL or wherever he came from with the massive rack hanging out the back....WTF

I agree with others, that's why I seem to only watch Randy, Steve R., and etc. occasionally, "celebrity" hunters and youtube wanna-be's just make me want to puke. 🤮

Another great hunter I follow who is a friend of Randy’s is Corey Jacobsen.

When it comes to YouTube, Facebook and the others, the title of this thread could be”This is what’s wrong with (fill in the blank). They give every whistle d!ck a platform to spread their nonsense. As for the video, I didn’t watch it, there’s enough bro’s around to give him his view count. I deal with boundaries depending on the situation. A couple years ago I was on a big bull and he crossed in to a piece of private. I just skirted the edge bugling back at him for what seemed like forever until he moved off back to public. As far as tree stands go, I’d rather go through the unhealed part of cauliflower ear again than sit in one of those.

I am still a little confused over these rules.
Comparing it to the UK, the deer are wild, they aren't owned by anyone whilst they are alive, however, once the die, they become the property of the landowner whose property they died on, 99% of the time the landowner will give permission to find it, but on doing so it's their's to do with as they please, @leec270 is an expert tracker and is often called upon to track wounded deer.
To alleviate this happening there are a lot of hunters in the UK, (not me) who head shoot deer, not ethical in my opinion, boiler room for me, or neck shot at close range.
Seeing it from a non resident alien's point of view surely the private landowner has everything to gain by keeping the meat, or isn't that permitted?
Or by doing so are they just encouraging more hunters to shoot too close to boundaries, I guess that must be the case?
Cheers
Richard

This is me, not getting on my soapbox and derailing a thread about head shooting...you should be proud of me.

Back