Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Things that are just Sins with wild game meat.

My dad is convinced all upland game birds have to be cooked to death in cream of mushroom soup. It's tragic.
I thought that was a midwest thing. Growing up in a family of non-hunters that is how all gifted wild game was cooked. Now, I can’t stand it one bit. Ate a lot of my rabbits growing up like that too. What a waste.

Grinding any loin or backstrap is a sin. I also don't like adding any silver skin to my grind if I can help it. I try to trim as much as possible. I see a lot of people just throw it in their grind piles. I can't do it. To me, there is a taste difference that I just don't like.
Silver skin can be saved out, tossed in a small pot, boiled and used as the base for a light soup.

i'd say the only sins are making a decision that results in meat not getting eaten/thrown away

do whatever you want with it, but eat all of it
Because if it’s wrapped properly it can last 5 years. And if it has a little freezer burn cut off and make a stew with it. I have regularly eaten meat that’s 3 or 4 years old. Fish is another story unless you glaze it but even then a 1 or 11/2 years is about max.
People who let the meat sit in the freezer for 2 years, eat very little of it, and then chuck it in the garbage. Sad.

People who let the meat sit in the freezer for 2 years, eat very little of it, and then chuck it in the garbage. Sad.
Meat doesn’t go bad in the freezer. I ate a 10 year old steak from a buddy’s freezer and it tasted fine.

Any recipe using a can or package of "Cream of ......" as an ingredient.
I came here to say that: "Keep that can of Campbells cream-of-x away from my pheasants and grouse". I still have unpleasant flashbacks about eating mystery, chewy, industrial mushroom flavored goop for the entire months of November and December when dad would really get into the pheasants.

But I will grudgingly admit that if you mix some real mushrooms, bird stock, a clove of garlic, and fresh thyme in with a can of the mushroom paste it makes a wonderful braise.

Wanton waste is the biggest sin by far IMO. I found this a few years ago on a western elk hunt down in one of the biggest hell holes I had been in. All 4 quarter bags and a trimmings bag were still strung up in the tree with the horns laying there as well. All that was left was bags of bones. View attachment 195204 My guess is that the hunter shot it and realized after quartering it that they would never get it out. That elk was literally shot and left to rot for nothing. I looked everywhere for a tag but couldn’t find one. I called it in to the warden and provided coordinates and pictures. No clue what happened after that.

Definitely something doesn’t seem right with that. If a hunter was going to go through all the work to hike into a hell hole, quarter and string up the meat I would bet they would at least be willing to take the head out on their first trip along with some bag of meat. Maybe he had an accident and cut themselves badly or some other type of emergency.

I'm gonna pile on the Cream of Mushroom Soup Hate Bus.

My SO made me what she called Her "Mother's recipe Beef Burgundy" which had COM as an ingredient. I suppressed my outrage, and he next night made her a PROPER Boeuf Bourguignon. Looking back I think she just manipulated me so I would do the cooking...Clever Girl....

Throwing parts in the trash.

If you debone a hind in the field those bones will go back into the system, if you take them home and trash them they go into an anaerobic landfill.

I'm as 100% guilty of tossing silver skin in the trash and it kills me... I've been trying to be better about either composting or if not available chucking it in the woods.

2 years... its just getting good at that point, I pulled out some bou steaks from 2018 in July and they were amazing.
I take the bones, silver skin, clean trim, etc. toss them in the pressure cooker with water, an onion, celery, and spices; then crank it up to 13 psi for 3 hrs and make bone broth. Whatever gets strained out then goes to the chickens who then turn it into eggs and chicken doodie.

But the bone broth is main point.

I take the bones, silver skin, clean trim, etc. toss them in the pressure cooker with water, an onion, celery, and spices; then crank it up to 13 psi for 3 hrs and make bone broth. Whatever gets strained out then goes to the chickens who then turn it into eggs and chicken doodie.

But the bone broth is main point.

don't let that chicken doodie go to waste!

that tomato garden needs some fresh deer/elk-silverskin-bone chickenshit fertilizer!

1) Grinding Tenderloins.
2) Slow cooking any cut from along the backbone
3) Disposing of old meat from previous seasons in the freezer and not making sausage with it.

What do you consider "game meat sins"?
Not properly dressing your kill in a timely manner, also over cooking

1) Grinding Tenderloins.
2) Slow cooking any cut from along the backbone
3) Disposing of old meat from previous seasons in the freezer and not making sausage with it.

What do you consider "game meat sins"?
Cooking wild game steaks well done or over-done. Rare is the only way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back