Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

They just don't build beautiful hunting guns like they used to.

I feel exactly the same way. I recently purchased this custom 1970's Paul Jaeger built on FN Mauser action in 30-06. Full walnut Mannlicher stock, classic lines and cheekpiece, with ebony schnable forend cap, 22 to the line hand checkering. Engraving and inlay, magazine floor plate, trigger guard, scope rings, and pistol grip cap by Claus Willig, two panel checkered bolt handle, Austrian Bohler Rasant octagon barrel with full rib and front sight base. Jeweling on full bolt and bolt release, checkered steel Neider butt plate, exceptional Jaeger trigger. I replaced the seventies Leupold Vari XII 2-7x with a 2000's Leupold VX1 2-7x in matte finish.
The only thing that would make that rifle more beautiful would be a butter knife bolt handle.

If I were buying another lever gun for deer or bear, it would be a Browning BLR. I have sighted in my son’s with a Bushnell 3x9 scope and I love the action and magazine. He got it about four years ago, new. It’s a .308. He has the one with the straight stock and that model did not come with swivel studs so he had a custom sling made by a leather craftsman. The wood and the gold plated inlay are beautiful.

The following three long guns are the prettiest models I ever did see. My grandfather owned two of them: Savage Model 99 in .300 Savage with straight uncheckered stock and a Husqvarna Model 3000 Crown Grade with high-comb Monte Carlo stock in .308.

There is no lever-action rifle sleeker and more elegant than the American Savage Model 99 series. The Swedish Husqvarna 3000 Crown Grade bolt-action rifle is pure majesty to behold. Mauser 98 action, long rotary control-feed extractor claw, jeweled bolt, fancy hand-rubbed walnut Monto Carlo stock, hand checkering, white spacers, black pistol grip and fore-end caps, metal butt plate, hinged floor plate, smooth, polished round-ball-knob, tapered and curved bolt handle. My grandfather's Husky had a darker wood finish and was in safe-queen condition when he passed away. The venerable Browning Superposed over/under shotgun is sheer elegance from the old-world craftsmen of Belgium.

I would almost give my soul for any of these guns in minty shape. They are hard to find, sold out a lot or prohibitively expensive. This awesome threesome are the ultimate envy of American hunters and gun collectors.

View attachment 206765
the 99 shape....so sexy

the 99 shape....so sexy
I have a love-hate with the 99. It's cool and unusual, though I like hammers that it lacks. But the thing I don't like is about an acre of blank steel sides on the receiver and another acre in the side panels. Now if they get engraved, carved, checkered, etc. they overcome that pretty darn fast.

Here are couple of varmitized Highwalls that aren't really my idea of the perfect customization of the perfect rifle, but they are, nonetheless, well done and worth a peek.

You won't be getting any branches snagged under these scopes.

I have a love-hate with the 99. It's cool and unusual, though I like hammers that it lacks. But the thing I don't like is about an acre of blank steel sides on the receiver and another acre in the side panels. Now if they get engraved, carved, checkered, etc. they overcome that pretty darn fast.

Here are couple of varmitized Highwalls that aren't really my idea of the perfect customization of the perfect rifle, but they are, nonetheless, well done and worth a peek.

You won't be getting any branches snagged under these scopes.

Id def engrave. Nice silver lining of her name I think. Yea im the namer lol.

It can come off as almost military surplus in a fantasy world. But the you linked...that wood is insane.

Guys, I'ts our fault that the "PRETTY" guns are not made in this country any more. Gringos are famous for jumping on the wagon for every new fold or gadget that hits the market and forgetting about the"guy who brung them". If Americans would spend the money of the pretty guns, they would be available. In Europe, most hunters are upper middle class or higher income brackets or they hunt for a living. As with any craftsman, professional hunters like reliable tools and that usually indicates more expensive tools. Tools that can be relied on to complete the job with the least chance for a failure.

Guys, I'ts our fault that the "PRETTY" guns are not made in this country any more. Gringos are famous for jumping on the wagon for every new fold or gadget that hits the market and forgetting about the"guy who brung them". If Americans would spend the money of the pretty guns, they would be available. In Europe, most hunters are upper middle class or higher income brackets or they hunt for a living. As with any craftsman, professional hunters like reliable tools and that usually indicates more expensive tools. Tools that can be relied on to complete the job with the least chance for a failure.
To be fair, most hunting over there is only available to higher class people and they typically only have a couple rifles, so they buy nicer quality guns. In the States, companies have to pander to the most common demographic, which happens to be lower to middle class. That coupled with our gun culture makes less beautes on the market and more plastic/nitride

If Americans would spend the money of the pretty guns, they would be available. In Europe, most hunters are upper middle class or higher income brackets or they hunt for a living. As with any craftsman, professional hunters like reliable tools and that usually indicates more expensive tools. Tools that can be relied on to complete the job with the least chance for a failure.
I dunno, every time I go into Scheels they try to get me to handle some $2000 rifle with a twisty barber pole barrel in a whiz bang new cartridge that looks like a 14 year drew it on his trapper keeper. Maybe the money is here but the taste not so much?

I have never cared for the newer Steyr guns basically anything newer than the 1903,1905,1908,1910 or 1924 models are not as smooth or lightweight nor do they handle and point as naturally

7mm Mauser and Ruger 300 WM traditional rifles are like beer to me .. I have trouble saying no 😆

Attachments

• 9965E7D3-7228-4691-9F0C-0D61E9789CD2.jpeg
    9965E7D3-7228-4691-9F0C-0D61E9789CD2.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 17
  • 90DD02F4-710C-47E1-AA15-2145EDCE13E5.jpeg
    90DD02F4-710C-47E1-AA15-2145EDCE13E5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member