theories on this mulie buck?

IDsageStalker

This is my (first ever) archery buck from this year. Taken on public land in SW Idaho bordering some agriculture and a large water source. I've never seen a buck stack on mass and tine length like this without branching. I'd like to hear some opinions on what you guys think of this deer.

Sounds cool. :) Actually, it reads cool. Look forward to the pic(s).

Nice forky! Without knowing how old it is, it's hard to say much more than that. If it is an old bugger past his prime, he may have been a good one at one time and has now regressed to a forky and may have died of old age this winter if you hadn't shot him. Do you still have the head in order to get him aged by his teeth?

I don't have the head anymore or it would be neat to find out that way. He came in with two other bucks, both 3x3s that were much smaller than him. He went 240+ lbs on the hoof. I'm a transplant here and haven't been hunting mule deer long but the consensus seemed to be he was quite large for a forky so I thought I'd get some "professional" opinions.

Hard to say why; genetics, age, .......

Whatever the reason, he is a cool buck.

When I had the AZ Strip tag in 2007, many mornings we saw the same super forkie, actually a 3X3, if you count the little point out on the end of his beams. I would say he was 33-34" wide with a crazy long icicle-like G2. Super massive and huge body. I am not sure if it was his age or genetics, but I still kick myself for not shooting him. On the last morning, when I decided I would shoot him with this tag, his predictable daily routine was somehow different and I never did find him.

Congrats.

It's not impossible he once had little forks, but I find it more likely he's a medium age class buck w/ poor genetics. Good job though, neat buck.

Very nice! Symetrical. Grats! I hope he laid his royal oats. A unique one always has its value.

Thanks guys, nice to see some people share in the believe that character contributes to the quality of an animal, and they shouldnt be judged solely on scoreable inches.

Back