Caribou Gear

The War on Feral Cats

Losing_Sanity

This article from MeatEater is pretty interesting. Feral cats are a real problem. Seems there are parasites that Whitetail deer can even be infected. This article references some good studies on the subject and is worth reading. Something needs to be done for sure.

A friend and his wife used to pheasant hunt with me years ago. The wife eventually refused to continue bird hunting with me due to the fact that every cat that broke cover (usually in tree rows) was fed a load of high-base 6's. No exception. I tried to explain to her that these were wild/feral cats that were essentially hunting the same birds we were. But she was a "cat person" so my explanation fell on deaf ears...

Why domestic cats get a free ride while legislation is all over dogs....even discriminating against certain breeds. Cats should have the same rules as dogs. I.e. licensing, leashing, under control, etc.
Folks should be responsible for their pets.

Free ranging cats (and dogs) are invasive predators. Therefore should be eliminated from the wild. To preserve wildlife.

Why domestic cats get a free ride while legislation is all over dogs....even discriminating against certain breeds. Cats should have the same rules as dogs. I.e. licensing, leashing, under control, etc.
Folks should be responsible for their pets.

Free ranging cats (and dogs) are invasive predators. Therefore should be eliminated from the wild. To preserve wildlife.
Right can you imagine, if folks just let their dogs out everyday to run the neighborhood 🤦‍♂️

I mean I get it historically cats were kept to kill mice, they need to roam in order to hunt etc etc... just seems anachronistic for the vast majority of cat owners.

I'll let you guys do the shooting so I don't have to have an awkward conversation with my cat, but free ranging cats are a pet peeve even with this feline owner.

I'll let you guys do the shooting so I don't have to have an awkward conversation with my cat, but free ranging cats are a pet peeve even with this feline owner.
There is a huge difference between feral and a pet. I don't think to many people advocate taking out someone's cared for pet. At least I hope not...

Some areas get over run. Then it's even a problem for our pets. I've paid several hundred dollars in vet bills when my poor cat gets his butt kicked. Too bad he's not a better fighter.

Be careful on and near private land with your cat killing. There is a thin line between pets and barn cats. I would class feral cats as any cat 2 miles from a house or farm. I would class house cats/pets as neighbor hood inhabitants. Barn cats are employees and should you shoot them - nobody but close friends are hunting on my property - ever! Even possible lawsuit for killing an employee. Two miles from the house - fair game like the coyotes.
Another pet peive are the city folks who drive to the country, pick up my friendly pets and take them back to the pound in town. When you leave town you are only a visitor anyplace you go. Respect the local rules. We play for keeps.

Be careful on and near private land with your cat killing. There is a thin line between pets and barn cats. I would class feral cats as any cat 2 miles from a house or farm. I would class house cats/pets as neighbor hood inhabitants. Barn cats are employees and should you shoot them - nobody but close friends are hunting on my property - ever! Even possible lawsuit for killing an employee. Two miles from the house - fair game like the coyotes.
Another pet peive are the city folks who drive to the country, pick up my friendly pets and take them back to the pound in town. When you leave town you are only a visitor anyplace you go. Respect the local rules. We play for keeps.
Do cats within 2 miles of a house kill fewer birds than cats more than 2 miles from a house?

I agree about 110% about feral cats, and all ferals actually, I don't like it, but I agree. They are there because of our irresponsibility.

A while ago some friends got a rescue dog. Their teen girls loved it, but with both folks working there was no one around all day, and the girls tired of it, after a year and a half they brought it back to the shelter. Wasn't a biter, house broke fine, I just don't understand. Kind of the same deal. People getting pets but not carrying through to either keep it or deal with it.

Not to quarrel, but there is also a thin line between the neighbors "barn cat" and then his same cat that is finding his way into a chicken coop and bunny hutch more than a mile off his land. Those cats die of lead poisoning where I live and then get hung from the mailbox of the offender - no apologies. So while I agree that there are cats that exist as implements on some peoples land, there must be an acceptable practice for harnessing that implement - not to mention the loss of birds.

Back