The Storms of Life

We figure a three hour stalk, now that they bedded. Not sure I want to navigate these cliffs in the dark.

Discussing it with the crew. Since I'm the only person over 40, my vote counts for 3.

Damn right it does, once I peaked over the 60 mark I’m always gonna hold that power of veto!

Well, three hour detour and get to 174 yards of the goat to our south. Turns out it was a super nannie.

Now back to the group of 12. Neither of these two bullies seem to be the one from September and October. But the largest is surely a shooter. We have them in our view, but probably a 3 hour stalk, if I'm lucky.

Just need them to stay put.
At least it was a goat that you spent hours stalking. My brother and I pulled a few hour long sneak on a couple of patches of leftover snow.

Note to self - bring a spotting scope on the next goat hunt.

IF you go, take extra time on the descent. Force yourself to go slower than you want to. As I get tired and want to get back, I tend to speed up a little too much. Not that this is your first rodeo, but sometimes a reminder doesn't hurt! Best of luck!

IF you go, take extra time on the descent. Force yourself to go slower than you want to. As I get tired and want to get back, I tend to speed up a little too much. Not that this is your first rodeo, but sometimes a reminder doesn't hurt! Best of luck!
I tell myself I should have slowed the fug down each time I return at pitch dark thirty!

Heavy packs, and slickery cliffs after dark will exercise your sphincter muscle like nothing else I have ever experienced.

Agree; been there, done that. I decided against it for today. For the reasons you mentioned and the fact that since last night I've been fighting some sort of stomach bug that has me feeling less than 100%.

The cliffs they are hanging in require dropping 800' vertical from our glassing location, crossing a small creek and scaling up their side. They are about at the same elevation as our glassing location, but we all agree it will require looping up above them and coming down to them for any shooting option. We might have to wait them out for a shot opportunity, as where the biggest billy bedded this afternoon is on a ledge that would make retrieval impossible if he didn't roll 800' to the bottom.

So, we left them almost exactly where they were when we left them yesterday afternoon.

41816.jpeg

I told the crew if they are in the same place tomorrow and another goat doesn't provide a 3+ hour detour, the biggest billy will be dead by noon. Well maybe it'll be as late as 2pm, but he's going to die tomorrow, unless they make a big trek out of this basin; a very unlikely possibility.

Fingers crossed we have visibility tomorrow. If so, I predict this hunt will be over.

Agree; been there, done that. I decided against it for today. For the reasons you mentioned and the fact that since last night I've been fighting some sort of stomach bug that has me feeling less than 100%.

The cliffs they are hanging in require dropping 800' vertical from our glassing location, crossing a small creek and scaling up their side. They are about at the same elevation as our glassing location, but we all agree it will require looping up above them and coming down to them for any shooting option. We might have to wait them out for a shot opportunity, as where the biggest billy bedded this afternoon is on a ledge that would make retrieval impossible if he didn't roll 800' to the bottom.

So, we left them almost exactly where they were when we left them yesterday afternoon.

I told the crew if they are in the area place tomorrow and another goat doesn't provide a 3+ hour detour, the biggest billy will be dead by noon. We'll maybe it'll be as late as 2pm, but he's going to die tomorrow, unless they make a big trek out of this basin; a very unlikely possibility.

Fingers crossed we have visibility tomorrow. If so, I predict this hunt will be over.

Go gettum Randy!👍🏻

Take your time and enjoy the experience! I’d way rather be navigating cliffs tomorrow instead of constructing condos.

Hope you get distracted by the big guy you have been monitoring.

Now that's some great confidence! Most hunters lack that and I'm guessing those are the most of the hunters that don't get it done. Best of luck tomorrow!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oras
Back