The Storms of Life

Was starting to wonder about the follow-up story and there it was! Fantastic! So glad it worked out so well. Guess you're never too old to learn something new. Bet you will do some uphill shooting practice in the future! 😉 Thank you for taking us along as well as you did. It really was exciting to follow. Congrats again.

It sounds like the long wait you had to pull this tag came at the right time. I don't think you would have had the same experience or appreciation for it sooner. To see this Billy three years ago and then to be able to have so many friends to help make this happen. You are truly blessed..

Prayers for your mom and your family

Just gonna throw this out there....you sure do write good for a CPA. Appreciate the time and willingness it took to bring us along, highs and lows and all. Truly a beautiful goat. Again the hair is magnificent.

Last edited:
Amazing story. Thanks for sharing and taking us along for the ride.

Prayers for your mom and family….have a blessed Thanksgiving.

That's an incredible adventure! Thanks for sharing the photos and great story with us. I look forward to seeing the video. Best wishes for your mother's treatment success.

That was a hell of a write up! Like sacountry said, pretty good for a CPA!!!

The following is all speculative.

@Big Fin I believe you were shooting over the goat the first couple shots because of the angle. I'm assuming your rangefinder has angle compensation, but you might not have had it turned on, or whomever was giving you the range was giving you the true distance instead of the TBR (true ballistic range).

I ran some quick math with my ballistic profile for my .338WM.

If I was shooting a level shot at 350 yards, I would need to dial up 5.3MOA.

If I increase the shot angle to 30 degree at 350 yards, I would dial up 2.9MOA.

For my rifle, a 2.4MOA off at 350 yards would mean I was shooting 8.4 inches high. I'm going to assume that's what was causing your shot to go over his back.

Gravity effects the bullet on horizonal distance instead of vertical distance. It's sort of confusing, but your rangefinder should be able to spit out a shoot to distance, or at least the angle you're shooting at so you can figure the math out! The good news is, those first 2 shots might have missed, but it wasn't due to shooter error. Don't beat yourself up over it! You punched your tag on a hell of a goat.

I cannot wait to see this episode!

I have never goat hunted and have no desire to. But I love a good story. This sir, is a good story.

This alone is worth the Fresh Tracks membership. I'm looking forward to the release.

Thank you!

Awesome write up! Every time I read one of your stories I think to myself how I'd buy your hunting story book that I hope you put out someday. :)

Maybe I missed it but did you say what caliber and bullet you were using? Man those things are tough.

Steep angle shooting is on my practice list for sure.

Alright, I'm ready for this. A strong feeling of de ja vu. Come on buddy. Take a couple steps west (left). He complies. We go through the pre-shot checklist. Crew confirms all is good. Dale's camera is wide right behind me. Jonathan's is tight and to my left about ten yards. Adam is on the spotter next to Jonathan marking any shots.

I breath and settle in. Nope, too much heart beat. Breath again. Better, but too much. The goat takes a few steps higher, then turns broadside, face west. I check the reticle for horizontal. Good. I remind myself to watch the impact through the scope, my best form of follow through.
99.9% of my shots are completely alone, no one but me knows if I miss or make a good shot or a bad one. I can't imagine the pressure of trying to make a tough shot with an audience and camera's rolling. Great story and a stud of a goat. Congratulations!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracker boat
Back