Yeti GOBOX Collection

The shootings just won't stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
These shootings aren’t anything new. Here’s a link to a story from 1981 where five men were killed in an auto parts store in Allen, Kentucky. This occurred about a half mile from where the 3 officers were killed last week that I posted about. This one was over a woman and the shooter used a Remington 30.06 742.

I find it interesting the portion of our community who blindly refuse to acknowledge how things have change.

Is it safe to assume your parents taught you to shoot/safe gun handling? That you took hunter's ed? That you went hunting with adults until you got to an age were you could go solo? Safe to assume that those teaching you about guns drilled responsibility and safe handling into you?

I'm assuming in 89' neither you nor anyone in your family had an AR? Then for all of your 20s they were banned.

During that entire period there was 0 marketing about "tactical" gear/, guns were marketed as either hunting implements or handguns as personal defense correct?

We have a pile of threads about 3Rs in hunting and then about Depublicize, Deglority, Demonetize hunting? Essentially that over marketing has harmed the sport. I think everyone will admit that while Matt Rinella's critique is uncomfortable to read, that he makes some good points.

This has also happened with shooting sports, IMHO.

If you are a member of hunttalk you by default have a huge blind spot, because you hunt and therefore were legally required to do firearm safety. There isn't a member on here under what? 40? That didn't take a class. When we think of various classes of weapons we tend to think of them given that perspective.

You also own firearms for a specific purpose, hunting/target shooting/defense.

I have zero issues with anyone on the forum who owns ARs, I love seeing huntingwife's threads about coyote hunting. I definitely don't think we are safer buy restricting what she can buy or own.

That said, the reality we as responsible gun owners need to wrap our heads around, guns are being purchased by a crap ton of irresponsible people.

A huge share of gun purchases are down by < 25 year old dudes, who live in the burbs who don't hunt, who haven't and will not end up taking a safety class, and have no interest in competitive shooting, and obviously were never part of the armed services.

Why are they buying guns? Marketing.

Seems like maybe we need to Depublicize, Deglority, Demonetize "black guns".

You think this is BS, spend 20min on instagram.

How are we not putting 2 and 2 together

Actually, my father had/has an ar, m1-a1, m1 carbine, sks, n the list goes on n on way before ‘89. I used to build rifle stocks in shop class when I was a freshman and sophomore, my friend built a full size, functional civil war cannon; won best in show at the state industrial art show, one of my stocks placed best in category.
I will listen n try to change; the field of emergency medicine changes daily
But some things do change for the worse.
I said those are my OPINIONS, and I am open to listening to other opinions.
On of my friends in the fire department and I are on completely different ends of the political spectrum but we would both have great discussions on our differences; during the Hillary Trump debates and find common ground
That’s one thing in our country that has changed for the worse, no working across the isle.
For me to state my opinion n u attacking me, without any knowledge of me….well that says volumes
Back to the original, I feel we have changed as a country; and I have been many places in Europe, multiple times, on vacation, multiple places…played rugby for years, high school, Marine Corps, Texas Select side, married to a girl from Mexico going on 29 years…so I have been exposed to many different thoughts, cultures, and ways of life
love it, but it’s not the U.S.A.

For me to state my opinion n u attacking me, without any knowledge of me….well that says volumes
Back to the original, I feel we have changed as a country; and I have been many places in Europe, multiple times, on vacation, multiple places…played rugby for years, high school, Marine Corps, Texas Select side, married to a girl from Mexico going on 29 years…so I have been exposed to many different thoughts, cultures, and ways of life
love it, but it’s not the U.S.A.
I'm not attacking you at all, that was not my intention, in fact what I'm trying to say is given what you said about yourself, you like most folks/ all? on the forum are not the issue.

My critique is on the general unwillingness of responsible gun owners to say that some irresponsible things have been done, and that there are some really irresponsible practices still occurring.

I don't understand why it's controversial at all, to say (not responding to you, but in general) "hey shooting ranges can be a little scary these days because of all the jabronis, the number of idiots blasting TVs on public lands has gotten crazy, and there are a lot of sketchy folks buying guns".

Just as there are a lot of adult onset hunters out there, there are a ton of adult onset gun owners and they latter aren't getting any kind of instruction, training, or vetting.

An AR isn't a electric weed eater... maybe we need to rethink some things.

Last edited:
I tend to think this is more about mental health than anything.

Right now Americans are not happy. So anything from a love gone bad to a fast food order taking too long are ground to open fire on people.

The road rage shootings are way up as even traffic issues are enough to kill people over.

3 day mandatory wait here in Illinois where that shooting occured.
Like three days is going to make a difference. According to the Chicago punk's social media postings, he spent weeks planning this. Look at his selfies. CREEPY! Disguised himself as a woman to make his escape in the pandemonium. Fortunately, mommy bought a fairly distinctive car.

So in the 2000's that's when they really started to market the promotion of AR still firearms, which is why they're the most popular rifle in the states. The most popular caliber is still the Nato 5.56. Now when the new army XM5 rifle comes out and they'll massively promote that which will replace the AR's. Will the public still accept more carnage from a Nato 6.8 round? What will the tipping point be to have a serious conversation about solving this issue?

So in the 2000's that's when they really started to market the promotion of AR still firearms, which is why they're the most popular rifle in the states. The most popular caliber is still the Nato 5.56. Now when the new army XM5 rifle comes out and they'll massively promote that which will replace the AR's. Will the public still accept more carnage from a Nato 6.8 round? What will the tipping point be to have a serious conversation about solving this issue?
Name something that’ll solve this Issue.

I tend to think this is more about mental health than anything.

Right now Americans are not happy. So anything from a love gone bad to a fast food order taking too long are ground to open fire on people.

The road rage shootings are way up as even traffic issues are enough to kill people over.

It's a combination of mental health, entitlement, and an acceleration of societal rot. Gun ownership is a red herring, so are violent video games.

I find it interesting the portion of our community who blindly refuse to acknowledge how things have change.

Is it safe to assume your parents taught you to shoot/safe gun handling? That you took hunter's ed? That you went hunting with adults until you got to an age were you could go solo? Safe to assume that those teaching you about guns drilled responsibility and safe handling into you?

I'm assuming in 89' neither you nor anyone in your family had an AR? Then for all of your 20s they were banned.

During that entire period there was 0 marketing about "tactical" gear/, guns were marketed as either hunting implements or handguns as personal defense correct?

We have a pile of threads about 3Rs in hunting and then about Depublicize, Deglority, Demonetize hunting? Essentially that over marketing has harmed the sport. I think everyone will admit that while Matt Rinella's critique is uncomfortable to read, that he makes some good points.

This has also happened with shooting sports, IMHO.

If you are a member of hunttalk you by default have a huge blind spot, because you hunt and therefore were legally required to do firearm safety. There isn't a member on here under what? 40? That didn't take a class. When we think of various classes of weapons we tend to think of them given that perspective.

We also own firearms for a specific purpose, hunting/target shooting/defense.

I have zero issues with anyone on the forum who owns ARs, I love seeing huntingwife's threads about coyote hunting. I definitely don't think we are safer buy restricting what she can buy or own.

That said, the reality we as responsible gun owners need to wrap our heads around, guns are being purchased by a crap ton of irresponsible people.

A huge share of gun purchases are down by < 25 year old dudes, who live in the burbs who don't hunt, who haven't and will not end up taking a safety class, and have no interest in competitive shooting, and obviously were never part of the armed services.

Why are they buying guns? Marketing.

Seems like maybe we need to Depublicize, Deglority, Demonetize "black guns".

You think this is BS, spend 20min on instagram.

How are we not putting 2 and 2 together

Very well said.

The .511 brand is half the mens clothing line at the local bob wards around here, yea I fully agree with everything you are saying here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back