Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

The Season of Stupid (& elk)

honestly, I’m not positive. I’ll look into it. I was against it. I don’t like lamb. Wife really likes it and it’s good for her blood type or something like that. My MIL has a close high-school friend that raises them and I was not part of the purchase or transaction. I don’t see the point in purchasing an animal when I have a freezer full of them.

I’ll pm you the last name at least but I’m not sure which of their properties the animal came from.
Doggin me about beef and you got sheep? Fantastic twist of events.

As a result of this thread I’ve received some really cool messages from folks on this thread, and even got an ice axe from @GrantK… but as it relates to HT, I received the equivalent of the Stanley Cup today: a hUNt tAlK MAn BuMPaaaa sticker 😍 thanks @rtraverdavis

View attachment 300244
My greatest hope is that if we continue to honor and pay tribute to the MAN’s accomplishments, HE will one day be satisfied enough with our humble tributes that HE will rise again—like the benevolent god HE is.

,,,!!,

It’s an e-bike trailer in a location e bikes aren’t aloud. With flat tires. If it’s yours contact me and I’ll drop it off at the blm office for you.View attachment 295117
Finally started going through the cart to see what I had to replace. It’s looking like one axle, a tire, and both tubes. The one tire spluged all over my garage when I tried to fill it up, the other didn’t hold air.

Wondering if Marshian used to have an e-bike trailer too?

BF15ACD9-9BCB-462E-A958-B8AD27271E85.jpegAA74D796-3627-447F-9468-1975DAF9D778.jpeg

Finally started going through the cart to see what I had to replace. It’s looking like one axle, a tire, and both tubes. The one tire spluged all over my garage when I tried to fill it up, the other didn’t hold air.

Wondering if Marshian used to have an e-bike trailer too?

View attachment 300275View attachment 300276
And at $60 a tire, $20 a tube, and unkown price for the axle no wonder the guy left it. It would almost be cheaper to get a new one. Not sure I trust the non slashed tire. The guy took it through a lot of cactus

@Dsnow9

On the topic of carts and trailers, I have question that has been noodling around in my head (spurred on by the discovery of the trailer).

Did you consider building a 2-wheeled cart with larger wheels (similar to the trailer) and have the deck of the cart right down on the axel to keep center of mass low?

I see some drawbacks (wider wheel stance, maybe more $ for wheels/tires etc) but wanted to ask

@Dsnow9

On the topic of carts and trailers, I have question that has been noodling around in my head (spurred on by the discovery of the trailer).

Did you consider building a 2-wheeled cart with larger wheels (similar to the trailer) and have the deck of the cart right down on the axel to keep center of mass low?

I see some drawbacks (wider wheel stance, maybe more $ for wheels/tires etc) but wanted to ask
Yea, my cart was specifically designed for that hunt. Obviously the commercial 2 wheel model emploded on this terrain. They were two miles from the truck on fairly flat ground with a rocky area or two. Nothing crazy at first glance. But it put two flat tires, a slashed wheel, a broken axle, kick stand ripped off, and the attachment piece broken. Oh did I mention you had to cross 2 barbed wire fences in the process.

Hahaha

I put a 1” axle with a solid core wheel on my cart. The wheel is 6” wide and 15” tall. The axle is welded solid to the cart. Adjustable cylinder clamps were placed on the axle before welding, for micro adjustments of the tire.

There is also game trails running through sage flats. A two wheel cart can become useless in that stuff. Better to just leave it at home.

This hike is mostly on game trail that has been washed out for years. Sometimes 12” deep and steep walls. This tire ran through it like a champ. In and out. 60lb of water and food on the way in and about 80lb of elk on the way out. I only had 40lb of meat on my back. The whole cow out in one trip, ten miles.

The design of the tire and pull chords is amazing. Pulling the cart I could get it over most things.

The shape of the handles was amazing.

Two glaring issues: 🤬

The handles were not long enough. And I didn’t have any pictures of me pulling the cart real hard. For some reason the other guy that could take photos, was always way back. 😉

In order to get the correct spacing from my heels my arms had to be way behind me. Basically imagine holding a basketball behind your back with straight arms and the ball can’t touch you. Then add a lot of weight and uneven terrain and your arms are gonna take a beating.

D9EE688B-098E-4DB6-825D-A279A31CC2EC.jpeg
Ideal arm pad out ion for strength, balance, and endurance would be straight down or slightly forward. When I did that, the hole load would slam me in the heal and never at a slow speed. By the end of the 10 miles I cussed the air away every time it happened. It started to really sting like a thumb roofing a house with hammer and nail.

Longer handles will fix that problem. I tested in the yard but nothing could prepare me for the Woods.

Other issue was minor but since I built it I’m going to upgrade it. The deck needs one more rigid bracket closer to the handles where the p chord ends. And I will be adding permanently mounted straps. I used loops this time and they just moved to much. Will likely mount four simple cinch straps in the form of a # to hopefully keep that load cell from moving.

Only reason the kid cell broke on this trip was because we chucked the cart full of meat over the barbed wire fence. Landed on the bad instead of the wheel. Cracked a little but just bounced open a bit more for the last two miles.

There was an easy way to get the cartwheel over the fence by sitting it over the top rail and then slide the handles to the ground. Shoulda, would a, coulda. Won’t chuck it over again, we were tired and didn’t want to put in the effort. Just dump, already bought a new load cell.

Last thing we were going to do is add drag loops to @MtnElk pack and change the pulls so they can be quick attached to either side of the cart. They will also run through a single loop so they can shock absorb a little bit more. If the front guy was the pull man with trekking poles, and the back was the driver, like a wheel barrow. I am confident we could put 150lb of meet on the cart and rally an elk and camp out in one trip.

It will be a fun inter project.

Might try to get the e-bike cart up and running by my fourth season tag. There is about a 1 mile closed access road into my plan A and B. It can get muddy but pretty smooth. No cactus and would allow me to take bone in meat out of the woods.

I’m really hoping to get one in a certain area.

If so I’ll shuttle the meat out to the closed road. Then go get my wife and kids who will be visiting my parents for thanksgiving. Heck, maybe I’ll bring my parents too. Get them all out there for a 1 mile winter hike. Throw a piece of elk meat on their back, And hike it back to the truck. The only person in that group to have ever done anything like that before is my dad on his first ever big game hunt, antelope, 3 years ago.

Yea, my cart was specifically designed for that hunt. Obviously the commercial 2 wheel model emploded on this terrain. They were two miles from the truck on fairly flat ground with a rocky area or two. Nothing crazy at first glance. But it put two flat tires, a slashed wheel, a broken axle, kick stand ripped off, and the attachment piece broken. Oh did I mention you had to cross 2 barbed wire fences in the process.

Hahaha

I put a 1” axle with a solid core wheel on my cart. The wheel is 6” wide and 15” tall. The axle is welded solid to the cart. Adjustable cylinder clamps were placed on the axle before welding, for micro adjustments of the tire.

There is also game trails running through sage flats. A two wheel cart can become useless in that stuff. Better to just leave it at home.

This hike is mostly on game trail that has been washed out for years. Sometimes 12” deep and steep walls. This tire ran through it like a champ. In and out. 60lb of water and food on the way in and about 80lb of elk on the way out. I only had 40lb of meat on my back. The whole cow out in one trip, ten miles.

The design of the tire and pull chords is amazing. Pulling the cart I could get it over most things.

The handles were not long enough. And I didn’t have any pictures of me pulling the cart real hard. For some reason the other guy that could take photos, was always way back. 😉

In order to get the correct spacing from my heels my arms had to be way behind me. Basically imagine holding a basketball behind your back with straight arms and the ball can’t touch you. Then add a lot of weight and uneven terrain and your arms are gonna take a beating.

View attachment 300287
Ideal arm pad out ion for strength, balance, and endurance would be straight down or slightly forward. When I did that, the hole load would slam me in the heal and never at a slow speed. By the end of the 10 miles I cussed the air away every time it happened. It started to really sting like a thumb roofing a house with hammer and nail.

Longer handles will fix that problem. I tested in the yard but nothing could prepare me for the Woods.

Other issue was minor but since I built it I’m going to upgrade it. The deck needs one more rigid bracket closer to the handles where the p chord ends. And I will be adding permanently mounted straps. I used loops this time and they just moved to much. Will likely mount four simple cinch straps in the form of a # to hopefully keep that load cell from moving.

Only reason the kid cell broke on this trip was because we chucked the cart full of meat over the barbed wire fence. Landed on the bad instead of the wheel. Cracked a little but just bounced open a bit more for the last two miles.

There was an easy way to get the cartwheel over the fence by sitting it over the top rail and then slide the handles to the ground. Shoulda, would a, coulda. Won’t chuck it over again, we were tired and didn’t want to put in the effort. Just dump, already bought a new load cell.

Last thing we were going to do is add drag loops to @MtnElk pack and change the pulls so they can be quick attached to either side of the cart. They will also run through a single loop so they can shock absorb a little bit more. If the front guy was the pull man with trekking poles, and the back was the driver, like a wheel barrow. I am confident we could put 150lb of meet on the cart and rally an elk and camp out in one trip.

Might try to get the e-bike cart up and running by my fourth season tag. There is about a 1 mile closed access road into my plan A and B. It can get muddy but pretty smooth. No cactus and would allow me to take bone in meat out of the woods.

If so I’ll shuttle the meat out to the closed road. Then go get my wife and kids who will be visiting my parents for thanksgiving. Heck, maybe I’ll bring my parents too. Get them all out there for a 1 mile winter hike. Throw a piece of elk meat on their back, And hike it back to the truck. The only person in that group to have ever done anything like that before is my dad on his first ever big game hunt, antelope, 3 years ago.
Sorry for the book, you got me talking about my cart and I got carried away.

Hahaha

View attachment 300287

download.jpeg
MtnElk please don't read too much into the Sancho analogy, that's entirely incidental, I swear

Wow lots of words :D

I did read it all, some of which you did mention in prior posts, so good stuff!

Its clear the cart was built for this particular spot (cow trails, lovely cacti etc). I'm personally applying the concept to some of my hunting ground (inland northwest close roads with plenty of logs to roll over etc) and pondering what kind of design would best fit those conditions. A high level of lateral stability OR larger tires might be more valuable (might just have to build one to find out!).

Just got my noodle going since I'd love to make pulling out an elk from a few spots more palatable. I will say I'm digging the idea of setting it up for for two, one front/back. Not sure my buddy will love the idea, but he'll come around... ;)

As a result of this thread I’ve received some really cool messages from folks on this thread, and even got an ice axe from @GrantK… but as it relates to HT, I received the equivalent of the Stanley Cup today: a hUNt tAlK MAn BuMPaaaa sticker 😍 thanks @rtraverdavis

View attachment 300244
😳😳😳

A HTM bumper sticker! I’ve only seen pictures, never an actual in the wild! Was it a spiritual experience? Did you speak in tongues? Will you receive total enlightenment upon your death?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back