Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

The Season of Stupid (& elk)

• Thread starter Deleted member 52098
  • Start date
if you haven't confirmed that order send me a PM and I'll send you that exact axe, somehow I have 3 of them...
@neffa3 is right though, get a whippet for anything hunting related, I probably own more spiky climbing instruments than anyone else on this site but I haven't taken any of them on an elk hunt yet, the whippet is pretty handy though, only thing better is if you can track down one of the old Petzl axes with a trekking pole section where the spike would be.

Raven Pro was my go to glacier and gully axe for years, but for trekking purposes I'd go 80 or 90cm. The BD alpine carbon corks are my favorite all time trekking pole when durability is factored in, I have given them absolute hell. Many broken poles lay in their wake. Whippet top is great but if you get one add or make a pick protector, which is more valuable as a flesh protector.

Yep, 185 pounds of pain with a foot ascender attached and an engaged petzl lock.

Figured you might be one of the few on here that knows what that means.

View attachment 298163
Yeah, no arborist experience for me but I keep a SPRAT cert...
I thought I was hot stuff doing rescue drills with a 100lb bucket of concrete, turns out arms and legs make things 5x harder...

How come all those guys are skinny and lanky? No chunky pudgy tree trimmers, is this discrimination or are the ropes not strong enough:)
Give me a rope and tree. I’ll test it out. But I get to pick where you look for the tree! 😂😂😂

It wasn’t my best showing but considering I did more elk hunting in the month of October than tree climbing I’ll take it. I’ll have to settle for #20 in North America for 2023.
Congrats... and glad I know who to send up the tree when a dead squirrel gets hung up on a branch 60 feet off the ground.

Third season.

@MtnElk is going to try and redeem himself on the hunt he did last year where he didn’t see an elk with a cow tag with some neighbors. So probably won’t do anything extremely stupid since that seems to just follow me.

I picked up a 3rd season deer tag. I will be having some gumbo that Friday evening with @PorterHouse and company on their way to Montana. Then I will get in the truck at some point, mob to a pull off, likely close to a wall tent. And then do something stupid trying to fill a deer tag, and be back to removing trees Monday morning at 7am. To many contracts that need to be completed before the end of the year.

Third season.

@MtnElk is going to try and redeem himself on the hunt he did last year where he didn’t see an elk with a cow tag with some neighbors. So probably won’t do anything extremely stupid since that seems to just follow me.

I picked up a 3rd season deer tag. I will be having some gumbo that Friday evening with @PorterHouse and company on their way to Montana. Then I will get in the truck at some point, mob to a pull off, likely close to a wall tent. And then do something stupid trying to fill a deer tag, and be back to removing trees Monday morning at 7am. To many contracts that need to be completed before the end of the year.
Funny enough... D doesn't realize how much he's worn off on me. I showed my plan to the two guys coming with me... they were less than thrilled with what I was planning on hiking into and out of with an elk. That said, I have a feeling we are going to split up each day. I thought I was obsessed with elk hunting before I got my first elk... but now that I have one, I am even more eager to get back in the field.

They haven't done much e-scouting - which is a bit annoying - and they are also holding OTC bull tags. I have some good intel from a friend that was in there last year and it confirms a theory I had last year and was going to explore before our daughter caught that crazy high fever. Either way, the truck is ready to stay on the road and my gun will be loaded right the first time lol

From 3rd season, I break down camp, leave and drive to where Deacon is hunting 4th season, drop and set up camp for him. Fly to Vancouver for work, get back on Turkey day, celebrate with the family, then put the kiddo to bed and drive to sleep in the wall tent again to see the monster bull that Deacon has either already dropped or is going to drop. Then we haul that one out. I am bringing sandals for that pack out 😉

And all those shenanigans will conclude the 2023 / inaugural version of the Season of Stupid. 2024 sounds as exceptionally dumb based on early convos

Funny enough... D doesn't realize how much he's worn off on me. I showed my plan to the two guys coming with me... they were less than thrilled with what I was planning on hiking into and out of with an elk. That said, I have a feeling we are going to split up each day. I thought I was obsessed with elk hunting before I got my first elk... but now that I have one, I am even more eager to get back in the field.

They haven't done much e-scouting - which is a bit annoying - and they are also holding OTC bull tags. I have some good intel from a friend that was in there last year and it confirms a theory I had last year and was going to explore before our daughter caught that crazy high fever. Either way, the truck is ready to stay on the road and my gun will be loaded right the first time lol

From 3rd season, I break down camp, leave and drive to where Deacon is hunting 4th season, drop and set up camp for him. Fly to Vancouver for work, get back on Turkey day, celebrate with the family, then put the kiddo to bed and drive to sleep in the wall tent again to see the monster bull that Deacon has either already dropped or is going to drop. Then we haul that one out. I am bringing sandals for that pack out 😉

And all those shenanigans will conclude the 2023 / inaugural version of the Season of Stupid. 2024 sounds as exceptionally dumb based on early convos
I have some father daughter hunts in the works too.

A season choice deer doe tag and a late season antelope doe tag west of i70 along the Wy border that we will likely have to use some door knocking skills and 7 year old smiles.

So if anyone has antelope property between 287 and 25 and wants to help a dude fill an antelope doe tag for his daughters favorite meat I have a pink hat or two for you!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NTSS
Back