The Remington Project | Adventures in DIY Gunsmithing

charliebravo77

I wrote this up for the on again off again blog/site I started, while preparing for my first antelope hunt in a couple weeks. It's a summary of my experiences with my Remington 700, and how I went about DIY/budget improvements to try and turn it into a sub-MOA gun after becoming pretty displeased with its 'out of the box' performance. I figured at least a couple people here might find it interesting, and at worst it's a cautionary tale to those who want a bolt action hunting sniper long range weapon system and only want to spend $500 at Wal-Mart. I'd repost it here, but it's pretty long.

http://engineeredpursuit.com/the-remington-project/

Nice write up. Although in the long run you could have paid more up front and achieved the accuracy you did there is something rewarding about DIY projects when it comes to hunting gear.
Good luck on your upcoming hunt.

-Dan

Yep, that's the biggest thing I took away from it over the years. There were a few times I debated cutting my losses and selling the 700 and starting over, but I decided to see what I could do myself. Definitely a firm believer in buy once cry once now.

Good write up....you could have went the route with the tikka and saved alot of headache and had a great rifle but doing a diy project is very rewarding especially keeping it under a grand

Well, since I just can't leave well enough alone, turkey season isn't here yet, and the weather is preventing me from cycling I decided to tackle another project with this rifle.

I've wanted a longer bolt handle for a while but since it involves cutting the current knob off, threading it, and buying/installing a new knob I took a different route. $5 worth of JB Weld SteelStik putty and I had a new, oversized knob.

61gwMZul.jpg

After it dried, I ground it down into a rough shape and test fit it.

sDMdlbJ.jpg

Ended up removing a bit more material, grinding some 'finger grooves' into it, added a coat of paint, and the result is much improved functionality for $5 and 1.5 hours worth of work.

tnx3brQ.jpg

Aside from possibly adding a Vortex Switchview or getting it threaded if IL ever allows suppressors/I move, it's in its final form. Remington 700 SPS .30-06 in a Bell and Carlson Alaskan TI, Timney trigger, DIY extended bolt knob, DIY Krylon finish, and Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44. Comes in at a grand total of 8lbs 1.2oz unloaded on my kitchen scale.

It's, by some accounts, uglier than before but extremely functional now.

That'll work! Just hope the added leverage doesn't peel the handle off. ;)

I'll take functional over pretty most every day.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back