The Other Football

Thrilled that the Azzurri are moving on, but I did feel bad for the Swiss today. They should have gone through against Spain if it wasn't for that BS straight red. What a crap call that was...
Catching up on highlights now with Guinness in hand. Crap call indeed on that red...got the ball for fffff sakes.

Catching up on highlights now with Guinness in hand. Crap call indeed on that red...got the ball for fffff sakes.
Yeah, got the ball, but the speed and force that he came in with, along with the trailing leg taking him down, made the tackle dangerous and deserving of a red.

Not just a referee defending referees, but "got the ball" is about the biggest fallacy in determining innocence or guilt. The point is player safety - got the ball and broke his leg in the process is going to be serious foul play, no matter where you are. Didn't break his leg, but certainly endangered him. Sad for the Swiss, but it was the right call.

Sorry to say but not going to watch the USWNT anymore. Turning ur back on the Anthem n WWII vet playing it was awful!!!!!

Sorry to say but not going to watch the USWNT anymore. Turning ur back on the Anthem n WWII vet playing it was awful!!!!!
Nothing bothers me more than disrespect of our Flag. That said, The USWNT is now saying that certain team members were simply facing a different flag in the stadium and were not trying to make a statement. I guess that’s possible, who knows…

That Madison feller, back in the day, wrote (I'm paraphrasing) that we should never force an opinion or adherence to our ideas, because if that's required maybe our ideas aren't so attractive. Poor paraphrase, but they can act as they do. And in this case, it does appear that they were maybe accused too quickly.

Now, you do reap what you sow. Meghan Rapino (new Victoria's Secret "model") said some nasty things about our President over the past four years. One goes to the White House because one is being honored - respect the office if not the occupant. One doesn't toss language like she used at the President, at least not on camera - nor really to any one else, all that does is lower you and make sure that some of us will never, never, never again purchase anything with a Nike swoosh.

My mistake, I bit on initial headlines n past history of some of the players before actually checking the story on my own

England gifted a penalty in extra time, with Schmeichal almost making the save on Kane.

Let's go Lions!

What a weekend for sports. Happy to see Messi’s side triumph over Neymar & co...happy to see McGregor meet karma...hoping now for Milwaukee to make the finals interesting and most importantly a great finish to Italy / England! My money is on England collapsing in Extra

Great game, great outcome! The Italians should have won in regular time as they just simply dominated in possession, passing, shots everything. Well deserved Italian victory in the end!

Rahim Sterling to the Dutch referee (who had swallowed his whistle like it was the final two minutes of an NBA playoff game) "do you have something against me" as he is run over again and again while on the ball (and once in the box), and later he shoulders an Italian and is called for a foul.

England two designated late substitutions just for taking a penalty are two of the three to be denied in PK's.

Congratulations to Italy. It was a very fun tournament to catch where I could.

PS: a huge thumbs up to Mrs kansdad for setting up the recording, and making sure to record the program that was to follow.......Cox cable claims to carry on recording live sports programs when they go into overtime. NOT COOL Cox, glad she outsmarted you.

Italy deserved the win but what an absolute gut punch for England! The manager subs in two players in the last minutes just for penalties and they both miss?!? Its hard not to second guess the result of the move....

OK, right off the bat, I need to make it clear, I am English, but not a 'soccer' fan, rugby for me all day long.
England could have won that game, they were like a different team in the second half, but Italy should have been playing with 10 players not 11 after that shirt pulling foul, it let their side down.
To be honest Italy deserved to win, but not on a penalty shoot out.
If it were down to me it would 'golden goal', play on until the first team scores, but thats a bit impractical, and it's coming from someone who isn't 'soccers' best supporter.
I rarely watch football, and I doubt I will watch a match again, however, women's football is much more entertaining, rarely do they roll about on the ground crying after another player gently bumps into them, equally as skilful as the men.

What a weekend for sports. Happy to see Messi’s side triumph over Neymar & co...happy to see McGregor meet karma...hoping now for Milwaukee to make the finals interesting and most importantly a great finish to Italy / England! My money is on England collapsing in Extra
Completely with you! And ya, it went to penalties. But the racist stuff that followed was horrible. Not to forget, the hooligan crowd punching fans and vandalizing.

Back