Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

The non-resident Wilderness law…serious question…

So I’ve got a question about the Wilderness law in Wyoming regarding non-residents, does anyone one here know of people who have been prosecuted under this law and if so what was the penalty?
Wyoming game wardens don't mess around. Don't know what the penalty is, but I do know that they patrol the wilderness areas on horseback. While tagging along with my brother who lives in Wyoming, they came into our camp on their horses and asked to see licenses and ID's. After they were satisfied, then they engaged in small talk 🤷‍♂️

I would guess they'd be happy to write up a $450 ticket, even if you didn’t kill anything.. and if you did, probably way more.

I live in Wyoming and they take it seriously. I think it’s without merit and kinda ridiculous but if you think just cause your in the wilderness you won’t see a warden….your wrong.
I have spent 7 hours hiking into the high country wilderness and had a warden ride into my camp the next day with his dog.

Conversations like this are interesting. Some people see harm in them, but come on, sometimes they go pretty thought provoking places.

So let's just say there's someone out there who poses this question with the intent of assessing risk of going poaching in Wyoming. OP hasn't made this assertion in the slightest - they could just be curious as to what has happened to NRs who have been busted in the wilderness, so let's not get the pitchforks out quite yet.

There are many loose ends that come with ventures like these - would OP truly be cunning and fleet enough to tie them into neat little bows?

Let's look at some of these loose ends.

1) For funsies, let's say we've found out what the penalties are in various scenarios and decide they're worth it. Like the millionaire in NYC paying $150/day parking fines and the occasional tow - small price to pay for the best parking in the city, right? We're big budget poachers here so this is no issue. Plus, the primary deterrent in crime isn't penalty, it's assessing whether or not you'll be busted. You can read more about that if you'd like, but we'll be using the idea here.

2) We're NRs, though, and actually planning out how to carry out this mission is hard to do. E-scouting is about the only option we have in terms of determining locations, as we can't good and well ask locals to help us with our poaching holiday. Loose end needs some tying here. Too many opportunities to beef it and wind up in some area that gets a lot of warden attention. No point in poaching 10 miles in the back country if wardens are checking tags in trailhead parking lots.

3) Partners in crime. The further into the backcountry you go, and the bigger the animal you pursue, the more help you need. Accomplices are easily one of the loosest ends in the world of crime. You can't trust em as far as you can throw em, but they're necessary to completing complicated crimes. Especially really heavy ones that require making as few trips, and as few mistakes, as possible.

4) Covering tracks and making plausible alibis. This is some serious loose endage right here. Everyone can see your out of state plates - do you rent? People in rural America recognize locals, especially wardens. How do you avert their scrutiny?

It's hard to see how we can make a plan that would give us even above 1:2 odds of success. A lot of night movement would probably be involved, but cheapo night vision with the illuminators will make you just as obvious as if you had a flashlight on your head.

If we fleshed this out enough, we could have a screenplay for a movie about a group of very skillful poachers and the wardens who have to stay one step ahead. The outdoor crime thriller of the season! I think I'll just have my Oscar mailed to me though.

The law weeds out people who don't know how to make friends in Wyoming....;)

I suggest using Tinder when you cross the state line...

If you are not a resident of Wyoming, you cannot hunt in wilderness areas within the state without a guide. The law is stated as follows at Section 23-2-401:

No nonresident shall hunt big or trophy game animals on any designated wilderness area, as defined by federal or state law, in this state unless accompanied by a licensed professional guide or a resident guide.”

The statute requires that at least one licensed professional guide or resident guide accompany every two nonresident hunters. (The commission may allow up to six nonresident hunters per licensed guide in specific areas.) Under the law, the gaming commission has the authority to specify other areas of the state and certain big or trophy game species for which nonresident hunters need guides.

WHO CAN QUALIFY AS A RESIDENT GUIDE IN WYOMING?​

If you live out of state, a friend who lives in Wyoming could apply to be a resident guide and accompany you on your hunt. The law states, “Any resident possessing a valid resident big or trophy game license may apply for and receive a resident guide license.” To obtain a guide license, a resident hunter must provide an affidavit to the commission, a district supervisor, or a resident game warden, stating that he or she will not accept any compensation for the guide services, directly or indirectly, and providing the following information:

• Names and addresses of nonresident hunters the applicant wants to guide
  • Type of game to be hunted
  • Area to be hunted

I am guessing that the recent corner crossing saga might have some folks wondering if other laws they don’t like are potentially on shaky ground.

I personally don’t think this is one. It’s pretty explicitly written, and it is within the purview of Game and Fish.
I was wondering the same thing. It may be explicit, but perhaps still vulnerable.

Last edited:
I personally don’t think this is one. It’s pretty explicitly written, and it is within the purview of Game and Fish.
I'm not saying it's not but there is an interesting parallel that says maybe there is potential for a change based on federal law.

Federal wildlife refuges can replace a state waterfowl law and its pretty common for this to happen in the states I've visited waterfowl hunting. Wyoming law about wilderness is actually backwards of that in that its the state regulating a federal area of land.

Moronic since the restriction is based on residency and...on engaged activity. Oh, you want to hike in six miles from the edge of the wilderness and bird watch? Enjoy your hike. Oh, going to fish? Enjoy your hike. Oh, are going to hunt? You filthy scumbag, here is your ticket and how dare you try to survive in this wilderness without a professional with you?

I try not to break real laws and the NR Hunter Wilderness Law aka Outfitter Communist Welfare Assistance Act is a real law. Moronic. But, real. And, is enforced on par with the law about parking along roadways.

I'm not saying it's not but there is an interesting parallel that says maybe there is potential for a change based on federal law.

Federal wildlife refuges can replace a state waterfowl law and its pretty common for this to happen in the states I've visited waterfowl hunting. Wyoming law about wilderness is actually backwards of that in that its the state regulating a federal area of land.
WY would just make the wilderness areas separate units and regulate by “unit” not by wilderness status. Problem solved, no longer backwards.

Keep in mind, this wilderness is still IN Wyoming and if they want to make you have a guide to hunt somewhere, they can do it. They could make it apply everywhere, or nowhere, or anywhere in between. I don’t like it, don’t agree with it, but I’ve though about it and if you think you can get out of it on a technicality, they can put you right back in using the same logic.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back