Yeti GOBOX Collection

The NFL’s demise may have been greatly exaggerated.

I'm still pissed at Belichek for bringing a player in that spends a million dollars on clothes he wears once.

Football is so easy to just veg out too. Never have to face the existential angst caused by the illusion of infinite choice that Netflix and Prime force upon me every time I scroll endlessly trying to pick something.

I just turn the TV on and watch. I never miss an outdoor activity to watch football, but there’s still so much football on during the weak it’s easy to watch a few games a week.

I LOVE live, in-person, football, but rarely watch it on TV (except my beloved Bison in the playoffs). Pros, College, High School, PeeWee - I will watch any of it in person - TV, not so much.

I believe viewership was down around 10%, but looks like the money is still there.

It will be interesting to see how much of that 10% drop in one year was Covid related, temporary recreational outrage related, or if it is indicative of an actual trend. No doubt it is still the powerhouse of all professional sports.

I used to be obsessed with football. This year was the first in 12 that I am not playing fantasy football, having abandoned a league that I began and used to mean a lot to me (as silly as that sounds).

If it is a trend, I am a part of it, having not watched a game of professional football in over 3 years. My abandonment of the game has nothing to do with politics, but I think started with the Horse Collar Rule, implemented in the name of the great Roy Williams. Tack on to that the subsequent "no tackling QBs below the knees", and the "helmet to helmet" issues, and the game became a frustrating thing to watch for me, with players frequently being flagged for things that are quite literally impossible to avoid due to a combination of physics and human reaction speed. My favorite players of all time, Reggie White for example, would be flagged into oblivion in today's game. I'm not dismissing head trauma - but trying to make a violent game nonviolent has come at a cost exceeding my threshold of interest.

May sound lame to some and that is fine, but it's just not the same game I loved in my youth, and I actually see a lot more heart and what I like about sport in general, when the kids and I drive 10 miles south and watch the local high school games. I also find that personally that not having something on the television to watch on Sundays, Monday nights, and Thursday nights, has allowed me to fill those holes with more meaningful activities. I know it isn't all or nothing. To each their own. Just my own personal experience with the abandonment of the NFL.

YMMV.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back