The Montana Deer/Elk Draw Week

Time to dust off the MATTHEWS then. I’m good either way, can shoot em during rifle season if I don’t get em w my bow.
Yes, you can either bow hunt with your Matthews in your special permit area(s). And/or rifle hunt in 1 or more of many general tag areas of the state. Congrats on your bucket list tags! Thank you for your service!

Both me and my grandfather missed out on deer combos. Only his 2nd time in 34 years of hunting in eastern MT where he didnt get a tag in the regular draw. Last time he managed one in the alternates list, hope we can pull that off again!

Going to try for some Elk B tags to salvage the trip. I had to pull all kinds of strings to get the time off from work, hoping that it wasn't all for nothing

Both me and my grandfather missed out on deer combos. Only his 2nd time in 34 years of hunting in eastern MT where he didnt get a tag in the regular draw. Last time he managed one in the alternates list, hope we can pull that off again!

Going to try for some Elk B tags to salvage the trip. I had to pull all kinds of strings to get the time off from work, hoping that it wasn't all for nothing
Hope he can get one too ! I’m gonna try also and do same get b tags will still have a great time ! We have a few that drew in our group so we will still be looking for bucks I just won’t be pulling trigger

After checking the draw results Monday I now know how the Clinton supporters felt back in 2016, Devastated LOL, for the first time since 2008 I will not be heading to Montana for Elk and Deer, unless I'm lucky in the alternate/turn in list. Well good luck to all you lucky hunt talkers that will be heading to big sky country this season, come and think about it, I might still have too go and supervise camp anyhow.

I confirmed with Montana G&F today. 25% of the tags are allocated to people with 0 points. It is NOT a random pool for everyone. So everyone that has a PP only has a chance at 75% of the total tags available. What a bunch of BS if you ask me!

1 point holders had a 76% chance to draw and 0 point holders had 50%+

I confirmed with Montana G&F today. 25% of the tags are allocated to people with 0 points. It is NOT a random pool for everyone. So everyone that has a PP only has a chance at 75% of the total tags available. What a bunch of BS if you ask me!

1 point holders had a 76% chance to draw and 0 point holders had 50%+

Once you add PP it was never a random draw. Someone with a PP always had a better shot than someone without so therefore not random.

Also this tag allocation has been in place since 2011 when the PP system started so it's nothing new.

Once you add PP it was never a random draw. Someone with a PP always had a better shot than someone without so therefore not random.

Also this tag allocation has been in place since 2011 when the PP system started so it's nothing new.
True this year but in future could be 0 points is 100% draw and those with pp need 2-3 to draw

I don’t think you can always carry two. You can’t draw a tag, buy one in July and then another one with your application. Only individuals that didn’t draw or didn’t apply can carry two.

I don’t think you can always carry two. You can’t draw a tag, buy one in July and then another one with your application. Only individuals that didn’t draw or didn’t apply can carry two.
Ok I thought you could buy 1 a year but it was for the "license" year is how I read it. But you are probably correct that if you bought one in 2019 with the app you cant buy the July PP.

You can only buy 1 a year period . If you apply for a combo tag you cannot buy a pp in July .

You can only buy 1 a year period . If you apply for a combo tag you cannot buy a pp in July .

So the most pp you can have is 1 than? Because they are only good for the license year purchased? So if you bought one this year 2019 and were unsuccessful you lost that point and can only purchase one with your app in 2020?

Where I could have 2 pp in 2020 bc I didnt buy one for the 2019 draw? I can still get my pp in July and one next spring with my app?

The only thing I have read is if an applicant doesn't apply after 2 years all pp are lost. I don't buy it not will I. They really need a revamp badly. I've grown with the changes but how can they not see the confusion caused by the mess they have for a draw process. To add to the confusion bonus point are never lost and always remain.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back