Caribou Gear Tarp

The Meat Smoker in action!

schmalts

Bet you thought this thread was about AZ402...
Anyway, i recently made some summer sausage and told myself I will never smoke again on the old pile of junk Brinkman garbage can thingy. I will build one or buy a better one. I like to build things.... I have some metal working ideas and tools to get it done so I decided to build one. While looking for a cabinet I came across a restaurant style cooker/warmer on Craigslist. It is made for low temps, only maxes out at 350 degrees and is a 110V unit. Stole the thing for $100. These things are new around $5K , a shame to turn it into a smoker, NOT:D
So I had all the heating and controls already in place with the oven, it goes down to 100F on controls. So to make it get some smoke now:confused:
Did some research, came up with the ideas for a smoke generator that is nothing more than a Stainless tube filled with wood chips, and a fish tank pump for a small air supply to force air in the bottom of the pipe to keep the wood smoldering. Works like a charm!
Added a vent stack to the top of the box for draft and keeping air moving and fresh smoke, and an air supply pipe to the back of the oven to hook the smoke generator too and get fresh air. The cool thing is the smoke generator can produce a little, or a lot of COLD smoke to use for cold smoking as well. Here is some pictures of the project and some cooking today.
Here is the smoke generator, it is a 3" pipe with a screen on the bottom and capped off.
SANY0004.jpg

SANY0005.jpg

Cranked up!! WAAAY too much smoke for realistic smoking but just a test.
SANY0008.jpg

SANY0025.jpg
[/IMG]
SANY0027.jpg
[/IMG]
And the smoke generator piped to the same size vent with a loose fitting 3' dryer tube for an intake
SANY0026.jpg

a couple butts and a Fatty cookin
SANY0028.jpg
[/IMG]
A finished fatty
SANY0029-1.jpg

SANY0024.jpg

The fatty had Italian sausage, Venison Italian sausage, ground venison, sun dried tomatoes, pepperoni, mozza cheese, mushrooms, onions, and peppers.
they were good, but the sun dried tomatoes were a little too salty.

Last edited:
my heart hurts a little just looking at it....but damn that looks good!

Nice project, great looking new smoker.

That "fatty" looks amazing.

That looks awesome. You need to build some kind of drip pan that will slide in and out.

That looks awesome. You need to build some kind of drip pan that will slide in and out.

Already in there. I just put the foil one in for easy disposable cleaning. Just got done pulling the pork. Damn, i really had no idea how much there would be when it is all pulled! froze a few bags, put some in lunch containers and took half of a butt over to the Widow next door, who was happy to get it cause her kids were just askin what was for dinner.
They both got the same rub but I injected one with apple juice and the other with Apple juice and Bourbon. Guess what one was better:rolleyes:
Oh yea, someone sells a smoke generator on the same concept, and I use his method of starting it. Instead of a lighting and dropping lump of hot charcoal or wood into the tube I just hold a propane torch to the side of the pipe near the bottom until you get a red hot spot and it starts a smokin! then regulate the amount of smoke with a valve on the air line from the fish pump. It amazes me what you can find on the web when you have a project in mind

Last edited:
Looks good Schmalts. What kind of brew do you prefer to counteract the coagulating properties of the fattie?

You ought to ask for a digital remote thermometer for Christmas, they kick ass and it doesn't look like you have a window to watch a conventional thermometer without opening a door.

Looks good Schmalts. What kind of brew do you prefer to counteract the coagulating properties of the fattie?

You ought to ask for a digital remote thermometer for Christmas, they kick ass and it doesn't look like you have a window to watch a conventional thermometer without opening a door.

He he, already got one coming from ebay last week. A dual probe one. Not wireless, just remote.
And, I have pretty low cholesterol.. so far

Last edited:
Way cool!! If I wasn't so lazy and could use tools I'd like to build things.

I want a fatty!!! That thing looks awesome. Seriously, post that recipe as I plan on making one of those.

I want a fatty!!! That thing looks awesome.
Seriously, post that recipe as I plan on making one of those.
Sounds like something Stan would say too:D
As far as a recipe, that is the funny thing, you can hardly ever find one since everyone just rolls up all kinds of weird stuff on trials. I have seen waffles and blueberries, to spinach and cream cheese, olives and cheese, macaroni, it has no limits.
The bacon weave looks nice but to me it puts it over the top with being too darn "fatty" but it also holds it together a bit too but not needed really. Most guys use fattys for a lunch item while BBQing because they take half the time to cook and can be done mid day where the main meal is a 10-12 hour thing.

Do you just roll out the burger flat, lay the goodies on top, and sorta make it into a meat burrito? Fatties will now probably be the centerpiece of my diet for now on. :D

Yep, that's pretty much it, Tyler. You could even do a meat loaf kinda thing with the ingredients all mixed together and wrapped in bacon. Lots of variations - Mexican (cheese, salsa, onions, peppers, tortillas - corn works best, IMO, taco seasoning in ground beef ), Italian like schmalts did, or even just good old bacon cheeseburger!

We just picked up the exact same cooker at work, $3500 off the showroom floor.
Trying to figure out a way to roll it into the back of my pickup without anyone noticing. That's a sweet design.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back