Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

The Mayor Goes Hunting

Stumbled across this little page:

It's funny, some of the best Presidents in terms of wildlife conservation and hunting policy weren't hunters. FDR, for example. Without him, we'd not have the current system of wildlife management we enjoy today at the federal level. He, along with so many others, convened the first North American WIldlife Conference in 1930's, which spawned the new conservation ethic, that built heavily off of his cousin Theodore's incredible legacy.

Obama as well - as you can see in that photo, he's not comfortable with a shotgun, but his administration saw some of the largest conservation gains since TR & FDR's time, especially when it came to the sage brush sea of the west, where most of us like to ply our trade.

It totally is pandering to release the photo op of hunting. Just as it's pandering to go to a church to pronounce your faith, or to go to wall street to ring in the market and pronounce your undying fealty to the stock market.

We get the gov't we deserve in that respect, and sometimes, we get politicians who actually do good deeds regardless of their pasttimes.

If you were on the campaign trail, and told reporters, "Nope not going to a rally this weekend we are taking a break and I'm going to do something with my wife, something she chooses, because I love her and she's been dealing with a lot from this campaign", yeah I would notice. Probably think you are trying to do right by your spouse, that means something to me.

Hilljack's just pandering to the long-suffering wife demographic.

Agree I might take notice of that, but were not on a need to know that level. The media is not on a need to know that level either even tho they think they are.

It's not like he just said I was going deer hunting with my father in law opening day it will be good to get off the campaign trail. He campaigned it all up to sound disingenuous. "NOBODY is stopping me from going deer hunting with my HUSBANDS father". Ok buddy go for it I ain't stopping ya champ and ur gay to thanks for reminding me I almost forgot. Like we all have to care so much about his sexuality choices.
Like I said good for him and I'm glad he said it for reasons I mentioned, but I'm not drinking mayor Pete's koolaid here. It was nothing more than a talking point to pander to some independent voting hunting enthusiasts.

Agree I might take notice of that, but were not on a need to know that level. The media is not on a need to know that level either even tho they think they are.

It's not like he just said I was going deer hunting with my father in law opening day it will be good to get off the campaign trail. He campaigned it all up to sound disingenuous. "NOBODY is stopping me from going deer hunting with my HUSBANDS father". Ok buddy go for it I ain't stopping ya champ and ur gay to thanks for reminding me I almost forgot. Like we all have to care so much about his sexuality choices.
Like I said good for him and I'm glad he said it for reasons I mentioned, but I'm not drinking mayor Pete's koolaid here. It was nothing more than a talking point to pander to some independent voting hunting enthusiasts.

Personally I didn't read the emphasis into it, I think this might be one of those situations where two people are going to read something differently based on their personal context. If you have friends who are LGBTQ you get used to the vocabulary, if you don't I can see how it seems more jarring.

Conversely, I've had non-hunter friends have similar reactions to posts/ stories/ conversations about guns, hunting, butchering, etc. For instance you might casually say, "we gutted the buck in the field and then had a couple mile pack out", while telling a story about a recent hunt, but if you've never hunted you might feel like the wood "gutted" is in your face or unnecessary.

Personally I'm more interested in policy and a person's character.
Per that here is Pete talking about something relevant to the forum, public lands

Starts around 2:20

Last edited:
Personally I didn't read the emphasis into it, I think this might be one of those situations where two people are going to read something differently based on their personal context. If you have friends who are LGBTQ you get used to the vocabulary, if you don't I can see how it seems more jarring.

Conversely, I've had non-hunter friends have similar reactions to posts/ stories/ conversations about guns, hunting, butchering, etc. For instance you might casually say, "we gutted the buck in the field and then had a couple mile pack out", while telling a story about a recent hunt, but if you've never hunted you might feel like the wood "gutted" is in your face or unnecessary.

Personally I'm more interested in policy and a person's character.
Per that here is Pete talking about something relevant to the forum, public lands

Starts around 2:20
Wow man, I hadn't heard that before but it definitely resonates with me. Thanks for posting that.

I read somewhere that Scalia used to take Kagan hunting. The liberal Kagan may sit on the court for another 20 years. That's some powerful advocacy!
Eventually he took her deer hunting in Wyoming, from memory she shot a whitetail doe. I saw a you tube of her at the Aspen Ideas Festival and she was still very proud of herself. Might not seem a big thing after scores of big game but for a mid 50s woman who maybe never imagined she could manage it, it's a big thing. I doubt she'll ever forget it, no idea if she still hunts.

I swear I won't call him names. After all, he's actually being honest for once.

But there you have it "I"M NOT A FAN".

Posted right here on a website devoted to and subscribed to by DIY hunters who hunt mainly public land. Defend away............................................

I don't know what the orange man is saying, does anyone speak gibberish and can translate for me?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back