The Jig Dance

Big Sky

My youngest daughter and I got up early yesterday morning to try and call in a coyote or two. However, the coyotes wouldn't show us any love, so after a dry stand or two we decided to go fishing. My daughter is getting better and better all the time with her fishing abilities. She's really catching on as to how to properly dance the Jig Dance for trout. So while coyote hunting wasn't any good, jigging the dream for trout was great!
Elyse%2010-16-15B_zpst6cos6vt.jpg

Well I had to get in on the action too. I mean after all someone has to coach her along by setting a good example. ;)
Troy%2010-16-15C_zps4traj4rk.jpg

The pond we were fishing wasn't perzactly scenic, but a pretty fishing partner and cooperative fish made up for it.
Elyse%2010-16-15A_zpsxwlaozxw.jpg

I sure do like those Kit's Tackle marabou jigs. Even better, so do the trout. I can't tell you how many times I've been able to jig up a fish both on public water or private water when nobody else was catching anything. I'm kind'a glad a lot of folks don't use this technique all that often. I've been jigging the dream for trout for nearly 30 years now, and it just never ceases to amaze me at how well it works.
Troy%2010-16-15A_zpsy8w3n8qw.jpg

Awesome stuff! My dad and I are leaving in the morning for the Little Belts. We are hoping to get there early so that we can get a few days fishing and driving around in before we head in for the elk/deer opener. Can't wait!

I've got to give jigging a try for trout, it certainly is working for you, great fish. Spending time like that with your kids is going to have some great pay-backs, good work. Nice hat too, seems I heard rumor of a new pro-staffer in your neck of the woods, congrats all the way around.

I wrote an article published in the December 1983 Outdoor Life about jig fishing for trout (and everything else). Still doing it. A friend caught 29 summer steelhead in three days this summer on a 1/8 oz black maribou jig. Glad someone else has caught on.

Fish4sanity, you really should give it a try. One thing I really like about it is the size of trout I catch are generally bigger when using a jig.

I feel like a broken record here, but I'll say it again....

Great pictures Troy.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back