Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

The housing shortage and public lands

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
hanging out in crested butte, co with couple from college we're really good friends with a couple weekends ago. they live up there now, in fact he grew up there.

they verified that there certainly are a number of the restaurant [or insert seasonal employee here] workers that are in fact living in tents outside of town on the national forest right now.

The housing shortage in Gallatin Canyon for Big Sky and Yellowstone Club employees has found a solution by the resort owners in the residential development of at least 500 units at the little town of Gallatin Gateway. The historic once-railroad destination Gallatin Gateway Inn is now employee housing and will expand significantly soon. Gallatin Gateway as a very small unincorporated, unrestricted small town will be overwhelmed by growth and will assume an entirely new and different complexion. The horrendous existing traffic problems will exponentially explode into gridlock chaos. Valley highways already widening at each growth spurt will funnel traffic into the narrow Gallatin River Canyon, with no lateral space for more highway lanes. I predict huge concrete overhead highways overlooking the picturesque forest and river in the future. The kaching, kaching $$$$$ in the one percenters' pockets may very well destroy what has attracted them to this beautiful area.

Oh well ... at least Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady had their golf showdown ... and that's really what's important ... right?!!!!!

The housing shortage in Gallatin Canyon for Big Sky and Yellowstone Club employees has found a solution by the resort owners in the residential development of at least 500 units at the little town of Gallatin Gateway. The historic once-railroad destination Gallatin Gateway Inn is now employee housing and will expand significantly soon. Gallatin Gateway as a very small unincorporated, unrestricted small town will be overwhelmed by growth and will assume an entirely new and different complexion. The horrendous existing traffic problems will exponentially explode into gridlock chaos. Valley highways already widening at each growth spurt will funnel traffic into the narrow Gallatin River Canyon, with no lateral space for more highway lanes. I predict huge concrete overhead highways overlooking the picturesque forest and river in the future. The kaching, kaching $$$$$ in the one percenters' pockets may very well destroy what has attracted them to this beautiful area.

Oh well ... at least Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady had their golf showdown ... and that's really what's important ... right?!!!!!
There was a reason that I went through Ennis when I would drive back to Bozeman from Idaho Falls. That was 30 years ago, can't imagine what driving the Gallatin canyon is like now.

They drive like idiots along Hwy 2, always in a hurry and no consideration for there fellow human beings. The tourists have ruined Montana along with the 2nd and 3rd homeowners.
You got that right. People ask me why I don't move back to the Flathead. I don't want to be identified as another land wrecking transplant. I'll be heading there for 50th HS reunion at peak of tourist season ... and dreading the thought of it. I try to drive late at night most of the trip to avoid the tourist rubber-neckers jackrabbitting their gas pedals. Or the old geezers in gas gobbling pusher motorhomes dragging Jeeps who are afraid to drive their mobile roadblocks at anything greater than 20 mph below the speed limit. Get past one finally only to discover there's three more in front of him. Argh! Unfortunately, driving at night involves other hazards, especially on Hwy 2. The pavement between Glasgow and Havre is smeared with blood at least every ten miles (make that every three miles between Chinook and Havre). The scary part about deer on the highway at night in the summer is tourists aren't smart enough to just hit the damn things instead of driving into oncoming traffic.

Last edited:
There was a reason that I went through Ennis when I would drive back to Bozeman from Idaho Falls. That was 30 years ago, can't imagine what driving the Gallatin canyon is like now.
It is a good decision to avoid it. Most locals avoid the canyon and that road at all times, both summer and winter. I dread having to travel it three times next week for the Big Sky TAC event.

Yellowstone tourism is projected to be up 30-50% this summer. We thought it was crowded last summer. When I drive by the masses parked along the and floating/fishing the Gallatin and Madison, I wonder how a fish can survive. Non-resident fishing licenses were up 60% last year and expected to be up this year.

Probably a good thing many foreign countries are closed to US travel, as they are anywhere from 15-30% of Yellowstone tourists.

Hal herring had a great observation the other day: America has added 40 million people in the last 20 years. Where do we expect them to go?

Overcrowding on public lands is going to keep happening whether you live in Wyoming or California. We can manage that for the benefit of the resource, or we can throw shit wide open and deal with the fallout.

It is unfortunate most tourists haven't lived long enough to understand how really bad the situation has become that they're contributing to. It's why I cringe at the thought of returning there with foreign plates. Now I'm one of THEM. Oh the shame of it! Seriously, it does bother me. The only thing worse would be moving back to Montana and building another home on it.

Hal herring had a great observation the other day: America has added 40 million people in the last 20 years. Where do we expect them to go?
I had high hopes that COVID would make a bigger dent in this problem. Not really. Too bad. We humans seem incapable of dealing with it on our own. The ONLY president of US that I know of to address the need for zero population growth was ... believe it or not ... Richard Nixon. He also set aside more national monuments and parks than any other president (even TR as I recall ... though I think Carter set aside more acreage with his Alaska deals). Nixon was also responsible for Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act. A helluva conservative, eh? Anyway, when I heard him bring up ZPG in his State of the Union Address I almost fell off my chair. No one else since has had the balls to acknowledge the source of ALL our problems is situated between our legs. Head in the sand (and I'm looking at you, Right to Lifers).

20 years ago workers around Jackson Hole would take up entire campgrounds as their own Hoovervilles. The problem isn't new, we're just suddenly noticing it since a significant portion of Americans can't go abroad to vacation and our favorite places are getting jacked.

20 years ago workers around Jackson Hole would take up entire campgrounds as their own Hoovervilles. The problem isn't new, we're just suddenly noticing it since a significant portion of Americans can't go abroad to vacation and our favorite places are getting jacked.
The problem continues, many local articles over the last few months; guys and gals with legit good career-type hospital, construction, and skilled labor jobs living in their cars. Shower at the rec center. Starting salary at one of the gas stations in town is $19-$21/hr, no experience required. And they can't get anyone. The cheapest 3 bedroom house in the county currently available for rent is $6,500/mo for a 3/2/1200' condo. The last place we lived is renting for $4,500...950 sq ft 3/2 with no yard or garage.

It's always been crazy, who knew there was a next level. The only way to be here is be a billionaire, have a long time family home, workforce housing, or have someone rent to you out of the goodness of their heart.

Edited to add: I'm not complaining, just observations. 95% of my problems are of the first world category. I have a good education and could move, not the case for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem continues, many local articles over the last few months; guys and gals with legit good career-type hospital, construction, and skilled labor jobs living in their cars. Shower at the rec center. Starting salary at one of the gas stations in town is $19-$21/hr, no experience required. And they can't get anyone. The cheapest 3 bedroom house in the county currently available for rent is $6,500/mo for a 3/2/1200' condo. The last place we lived is renting for $4,500...950 sq ft 3/2 with no yard or garage.

It's always been crazy, who knew there was a next level. The only way to be here is be a billionaire, have a long time family home, workforce housing, or have someone rent to you out of the goodness of their heart.

The problem exists across the US in areas where the service economy driven by tourism is the primary economic driver. People want to be where it's pretty, and they're willing to pay cash to own their slice of heaven. I couldn't imagine trying to purchase a house in Bozeman or Traverse City working for less than $75/hour and having the 20% down and credit enough for financing at a reasonable rate. Right now, there's a ton of people with that kind of cash, credit and desire to suck up available housing for over-market prices.

Taking the Beartooth from Redlodge to Idaho Falls on a family trip this next month. Honestly, I'm dreading the leg through the park instead of being excited to show my kids even a little sliver of what Yellowstone looks like. Bad feelings about bad feelings.

I had high hopes that COVID would make a bigger dent in this problem. Not really. Too bad. We humans seem incapable of dealing with it on our own. The ONLY president of US that I know of to address the need for zero population growth was ... believe it or not ... Richard Nixon. He also set aside more national monuments and parks than any other president (even TR as I recall ... though I think Carter set aside more acreage with his Alaska deals). Nixon was also responsible for Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act. A helluva conservative, eh? Anyway, when I heard him bring up ZPG in his State of the Union Address I almost fell off my chair. No one else since has had the balls to acknowledge the source of ALL our problems is situated between our legs. Head in the sand (and I'm looking at you, Right to Lifers).
Making the decision not to conceive a human being is totally different than ending the life of a human who had no choice in being conceived.

If you are so concerned about the population that you think abortion is the answer then I highly doubt you have the mental and moral capacity to actually help solve the real problems we face.

If ending life is the solution to saving life the most obvious place to start is looking at you from the mirror.

Taking the Beartooth from Redlodge to Idaho Falls on a family trip this next month. Honestly, I'm dreading the leg through the park instead of being excited to show my kids even a little sliver of what Yellowstone looks like. Bad feelings about bad feelings.
Plan to go thru later in the day, late afternoon or even early evening. Much, much nicer.

we sometimes are able to sell an igloo at a premium in the fall. we even provide a 6 month warranty on the structure ;) ( if sold in the fall )

seriously, interest in homesteading was on the rise, before covid. The asphalt jungle is looking less attractive to more people today

I was reading about the crime in Chicago, especially the shootings, wow. We have people burning church's here in Canada right now.

I will continue to take my chances with the bears

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cloveless79
Back