The game is getting crazy for big game hunting.

• Thread starter Deleted member 40315
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 40315

From Montana FWP April newsletter
“This year, hunters came out in record numbers to apply for permits and purchase licenses in advance of the April 1 deadline. More than 82,384 residents and 16,650 nonresidents applied for elk and deer permits. That’s a 12.48 percent and 29.52 percent increase over last year, respectively.”

Who’s gonna wait this out over the next few years to see who’s gonna stay in the application game in the “West” and who thinks that the popularity of “big game” hunting is here to stay?
I say this because it’s getting harder and harder to “get in the game” for a quality tag. It’s costs more money every year and there is no sign of it slowing down. Could any “veterans” of the hunting realm talk about trends they saw over their lifetime where something like this happened where it became popular and then interest fell off? Because Montana hunting has gone crazy this year (in a good way of interest 😃) and there is no sign of slowing down. Thanks for the contributions. 👍🏻😃 Just trying to keep this in perspective and know where “we” should focus application efforts. The game is becoming all “long-term”.

welp, on top of all the hell Cam’s raised over on the IG our nations food supply got a major wrench thrown in it for a couple months last year and probs scared a few people so I’d say give it a couple years- DouglasR

One of the contributing factors to more applications for sheep, moose and goat, is FWP doesn’t require the cost of the tag when applying and tons of people have overloaded the drawings that wouldn’t have otherwise, causing a spike in applications and a deficit in your chances to draw. I would prefer the old method of requiring the cost when applying and keep the serious hunter’s chances higher.

“This year, hunters came out in record numbers to apply for permits and purchase licenses in advance of the April 1 deadline. More than 82,384 residents and 16,650 nonresidents applied for elk and deer permits. That’s a 12.48 percent and 29.52 percent increase over last year, respectively.”

Who’s gonna wait this out over the next few years to see who’s gonna stay in the application game in the “West” and who thinks that the popularity of “big game” hunting is here to stay?
I say this because it’s getting harder and harder to “get in the game” for a quality tag. It’s costs more money every year and there is no sign of it slowing down. Could any “veterans” of the hunting realm talk about trends they saw over their lifetime where something like this happened where it became popular and then interest fell off? Because Montana hunting has gone crazy this year (in a good way of interest 😃) and there is no sign of slowing down. Thanks for the contributions. 👍🏻😃 Just trying to keep this in perspective and know where “we” should focus application efforts. The game is becoming all “long-term”.

So I guess we don't need outfitter welfare, if there are going to be leftover B-10 & B-11's?

Well it's gonna force me to take some hard looks new places in my home state.
Things happen for a reason, here I go.
I had a feeling about the non resident situation this year, and my research started the same weekend i applied for Montana tags.

welp, on top of all the hell Cam’s raised over on the IG our nations food supply got a major wrench thrown in it for a couple months last year and probs scared a few people so I’d say give it a couple years- DouglasR
I haven't been following the IG feed lately, what kind of stuff is going on w/Cam on IG?

I don’t think things are going back to “normal”
Matt
Yep, this is the new normal. Higher prices, fewer tags, convoluted point schemes in most states for NRs.

Makes me consider just taking Hank (the dog) on upland bird trips and leave the craziness behind. And I'm nearly 2 decades into the "game".

I haven't been following the IG feed lately, what kind of stuff is going on w/Cam on IG?
Nothing new
Lifting, running, shooting, running a pert haircut and creating an army of ebha’s like myself that are infesting the western hills. 😉

ps. He’s got a 9 to 5 too.

I pay almost zero attention to MT, so this number was shockingly low to me.

I pay almost zero attention to MT, so this number was shockingly low to me.
I'm shocked that many people apply considering the resource, quality, and cost. Its an expensive state for NR's, and IMO, not a good value when looking at it from the 10,000 foot view. I think the actual country people hunt is selling more tags than anything to do with proper wildlife management. There's some awesome and diverse country to take your rifle for a hike through, no doubt about that. Too bad the wildlife is beat down and not allowed to occupy a lot of it.

I'm about to start giving Montana your level of attention, and already would be if not for my family living there.

?

So I pulled the data from 2020...

That's not remotely what it shows? What am I missing.

Resident Permit Applications for Deer and Elk (not including B tags) = 73046
So sure ~12% increase.

NR = 9534 Applications for Deer and Elk Permits
17,542 Apps for Big Game Combo
888 Apps Landowner sponsored Deer Combo
13,606 Apps Deer Combo
5703 Apps Elk Combo

So.... huh

?

So I pulled the data from 2020...

That's not remotely what it shows? What am I missing.

Resident Permit Applications for Deer and Elk (not including B tags) = 73046
So sure ~12% increase.

NR = 9534 Applications for Deer and Elk Permits
17,542 Apps for Big Game Combo
888 Apps Landowner sponsored Deer Combo
13,606 Apps Deer Combo
5703 Apps Elk Combo

So.... huh
My understanding from the email is 16,650 NR applied for deer and elk permits in 2021. Your 2020 number shows only 9534 NR applied last year for permits.

"But we need to recruit more hunters."

These numbers do nothing to prove there are more hunters overall. What they more likely show is that the hunters we already have are more serious about it by 1.) Moving to the rocky mountain states and 2.) Applying in more rocky mountain states.

We are our own worst enemy when it comes to hunting pressure / crowding / point creep.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back