The FREAK!

William Christy

OK.. here is that antelope buck that I've been anxiously awaiting to hunt.

Quite a lope, my favorite that I have taken for sure. I'm not sure how he will score, but I was damn close with my numbers on the Judgeing Freak lopes topic. I will win a case of beer from a friend that bet me he wouldn't score 80 also.. after he watched the video of him on the hoof this summer. He is a tricky one to measure. There is too much possible variability on the length measurement which is also what determines where the mass measurements are taken. I don't think he's my best buck score-wise, but he's a B&C lope and will rank in the top ten all-time taken by bow in MT's P&Y listings. He seems so much bigger to hold than he does when you put a tape on him. He's really a beast and is the coolest freak lope I've ever seen. I really think this is the best trophy animal I've ever taken.

I wasn't happy with the kill, which was my fault. Note where there first arrow hit him in the rear leg. I had to run the sucker all over the countryside to get a second arrow in him. Also note my empty quiver... don't ask! :( Sometimes things don't go as planned and this was one of them.

He was the dominant buck in the area and very aggresive. He came into a Mel Dutton decoy. The lopes were rutting big time. The night before the hunt I slept outside my truck on a cot and watched piles of shooting stars and listened to the lope bucks whistling and chuckling.

2002%20FREAK.jpg

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 09-12-2002 06:03: Message edited by: Greenhorn ]</font>

That lope is WAY COOL, congrats Greeny.
I can see why you concentrated on that speedgoat only, if I saw him, the other lopes would be safe from me.

So whats next ?

Sounds like a heck of an ordeal getting him on the ground. Way to get him on the ground even after the initial bad shot (did all this talk on here about shooting them in the a$$ subliminally stick in your mind? ;)

That is one stud bull of a pronghorn!!! Congrats!!!

Ps... Got any side view pics?

WOW!!! That is a freak!!! Not a bad antelope either!;) Glad to hear that you were able to seal the deal after some initial misfortune. Can't wait for some muley pics!!!:D

wow weird lookin critter does it score like a normal one ? and how in heck did ya find it in that great big bloody area ? um just a question greenie do u rifle hunt as well or is that to mundane for ya ;)

Greenhorn,

First off, that's an awesome goat.

Secondly, I think it speaks hightly of your character that you chased that buck around to finish him off. Not only cause he is a great buck. But to finish the job. Great job!

Ithaca.. I kept pushing him and pushing him on the flats and he was bleeding badly and wanting to lay down. I missed two shots at him. I don't think he would have died if he layed down. Finally, he went into some terrain and I got a 20 yard shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back