The escalating cost of hunting

noharleyyet

Our landowner just told us he was raising the price of our one section lease 31%...year before last he raised it 58%...a 89% increase in three years. He also wants his money 3 months earlier than our usual renewal date. Take it or leave it. A true seller's market. :(

our lease in south carolina is doing the same thing every year.our increase isnt as drastic but its still going up.in states with poor public hunting land prime private propety is a commodity and we will either have to pay it or go back to public land |oo

We have been lucky so far, in NW Louisiana the average after insurance is or has been around $4.00 an acre. With the new bidding wars, you may develop a lease, get it the way you want it and then recieve a packet to bid on your own lease. I have heard of some South Louisiana leases going for $20.00 an acre. So who knows where it will end.

I will be stuck with public land because I can't afford any leases. Fortunately there are still a few good public spots in the area. ;) :D

We are nearing the $10/per acre range...we game manage as per owner's wishes, adhere to unrealsitic buck harvest parameters...didn't take a single animal last year...public land is not a viable option here.

Exactly why we have to keep public land accessable to all and improve the habitat on it. Any hunter or fisherman who is not fighting to increase, protect and improve public land is crazy. There are many threats to it.

Excellent point Ithaca. Hunting here in Texas has morphed into nothing more than an auction.

That's not what that gringo Tom told me. Said Texas is the best buy in the US.

The east/south is seeing unprecedented increases in the cost of hunting.
I think this will cause us to lose MANY hunters who could take a son or daughter to keep the sport alive.

Quick buy 50 or 100 acres in a good hunting county becuase mark my words.
The next few years will bring a huge rise in hunting recreactional property values that seems impossible. Its seems high now, but just wait.
There are too many folks with money falling out of thier pockets that will pay a premium to make up the rules for thier "Place".

Form an LLC and put in a down payment with family or friends (but have an escape clause)I may sound crazy now but just wait.

I'm watching the MLS prices creep up down here now and the timber vales are not causing it.

Are you going to pay him? or get a different lease or what? What kind of a lease is it? You got no deer, no one, last year? I don't see the attraction of that lease. Maybe you just told the bad part of it.

Tom said:
Are you going to pay him? or get a different lease or what? What kind of a lease is it? You got no deer, no one, last year? I don't see the attraction of that lease. Maybe you just told the bad part of it.

Yea, we paid him Tom. It's too late in the year to find another place. And yes, I just told the bad part of it...there was no good part to tell. :confused:

I hope you find a better one next year. deertexas.com has a lot of them, but you have to be fast when a good one comes up there. Its hard to find a good one.

Thanks Tom...we would've pulled the plug this year but some of the other guys have no other hunting options....also, it would have been a bear to break our camp/stands down during the summer. I think all the green last season along with an unusually early rut here in N. Tx. inhibited deer movement. This year will be better...fingers xxxx'ed.

That sucks. So far there hasn't been a whole lot of leasing going on up here, but it's increasing. In a state where 90% or better of the land is already private, and more subdivisions are going in every day, that means that a lot of hunters will soon either do without or start trespassing. That's where the land ownership thing starts to sour. Ithaca's right...those states that still have a lot of public land should fight tooth and nail to protect it.

even here in Idaho the rights to hunt Geese is expensive. The area around American falls is going for 800.00 per field. I think the field I hunted was 80 acres. A friend of mine and a few other guys went together and got it. They shoot a lot of geese.
I shoot a lot of chukars, I don't pay a cent! Ron

I have "never" paid to hunt or fish on any private land or reservation.. and i`m not about to start... just Me... i can`t even imagine that i would have to.... God bless Arizona and all of our public lands. hump

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back