PEAX Equipment

The different way we think

Bullshot

I have been pondering a little bit lately the whole Residents are from Mars and Nonresidents are from Venus vibe that permeates a lot of forum chatter. Usually, or maybe not usually, but more often than not, or AT LEAST sometimes, in good taste and good fun, but certainly not always. This is not a continuation of any particular rant. I think I just wanted to throw some thoughts out there in the vain hope that we will all link arms brother to brother to sister and sing kumbaya... ok. puke. what fun would that be?

In all seriousness though, I am going to "attempt' to represent a point of view of us long-distant DIY migrants that so many have come to hate, at least when it comes to our contributions to crowding, creep, allocations, and draw odds. Other than that, you love us. Deep down. Unfortunately we just cannot agree to send you our money without at least once in a while showing up in person too... but I digress... I will format my benign comments, in the spirit of the loathsome interloper that I undoubtedly am, as a list of demands.

WHEREAS we desire to shoot your animals, and;

WHEREAS we hold no abode nor pay any taxes in any land where such dreams are made

We hereby and nonetheless DEMAND some begrudging respect for:

1) Wearing the label of 2nd Class Non-Citizen Proudly
2) Moving hell and earth (or at least overpacked trucks and trailers) across inhumane distances with little to no sleep for days on end and nothing but pork rinds, RxBars, and beef jerky to fuel the body
3) Funding 50-75% of the DOW Holiday Party-Jam Extravaganza and Swag-Fest. We understand that even our Resident brothers/sisters are likely not invited ( Now YOU know what its like to be an outsider!).
4) Contributing to Big Oil to the tune of $500 to $1,000 just to get there and see them thar hills.
5) Squeezing an entire season of scouting, hunting, packing, butchering, and driving over 1/6th the circumference of the earth into a 7 day vacation (try THAT Mr. Denver Man!)
6) Having to continuously learn new areas from absolute scratch without a single local buddy we can rely on to share honeyholes with. Seriously... you guys are stingy with them honeyholes!
7) Earning a PhD in applied statistics in order to devise novel and groundbreaking methods for psychologically turning our <1% chances into Sure Things.
8) Kissing the wife and kids goodbye and legitimately contemplating which part of this ill-advised trip is likely to kill us before we see them again
9) Having lifetime actuary tables and application strategies in spreadsheet form and having well thought out answers to ridiculous questions like "where do you see yourself in 37 years"
10) Actually thinking that 1-9 are fun, worth it, and wanting to do it all over next year.

We are the despised
We are the hated
We are the original basket of deplorables

We are the dedicated
We are the keepers of the flame

WE. ARE. THE. NON-RESIDENTS!!!

giphy.gif

Every NR public land hunter coming to my state that I've met has been gracious and respectful. I've only ever been treated very well when hunting as a NR in other states, including CO. I think it's easier to snipe at faceless personalities or groups of them across the internet, but meeting people face to face is entirely different. I guess others have had bad in person experiences, but not me.

I've seen it both ways inside and out, but i do have to say I have met some pretty nice folks in MT and ID while hunting non resident.
I have also been fortunate to meet and assist some pretty nice non residents from MT in catching Salmon on the Columbia River, my way of paying it forward.

I've seen it both ways inside and out, but i do have to say I have met some pretty nice folks in MT and ID while hunting non resident.
I have also been fortunate to meet and assist some pretty nice non residents from MT in catching Salmon on the Columbia River, my way of paying it forward.

Agreed. I am not lying when I tell you that so far, I think all of my interactions with residents and even other non-residents have been great on every one of my western hunts. Way better than my home state! That's not saying i haven't had a spot blown up here and there, or a little frustration at ATVs or what not. But the people I have met have all been friendly and often very helpful.

I've only had one bad experience in my trips west and it was from a NR. He was probably just mad he booked an outfitter in a second choice unit when the pronghorn were on BLM. Actually he was putting a stalk on a herd that was 200 yards from the road and I hesitated and the animals spooked, not knowing whether to drive on by or to wait and give him space. Everyone from the locals at the grocery store to the Walmart greeter has been nice. Heck one guy camped near me in CO even offered me some of his weed.

The only attitude I've put up with was from a guy selling me a non res OTC bull tag in a Pagosa Springs sporting goods shop. You'd'a thought I was going bald eagle hunting...so I left about 200 bucks of Patagucci spiff on the counter.

In Washington it's the "westsiders" or "coasties" that get the treatment. I think it's like a lot of things where a few bad apples make a bad name for others. I've encountered plenty of bad hunters from eastern WA but we don't have a special name for them. I've been treated well in my few experiences hunting NR in Wyoming.

Never had a bad interaction with anyone on any of my trips
their is an outfitter in the same area I have hunted and im sure he isnt thrilled if we cross path

As we are talking Mars and Venus, what about hunters like me, actual Aliens from far flung places :LOL:

My interactions with residents has in the main been very positive, they have shared their 'honey holes', some worked some didn't, but I am eternally grateful for the help I have received, and the friends I have made via this forum, hell I even have a honey hole or two myself now.....but don't ask where....it's only for friends;)

Cheers

Richard

I was hassled when I had CA plates. For no reason at times in gas stations,stores or cafes. In UT,AZ,OR,MT,CO & NM. The stink eye ended it usually without comment.
I did get bugged in CA with NM plates 8 yrs ago by a Fresno cop,for no reason. No ticket before I left the state. Mud on plates.....NM daily driving mud.
Most folks here greet the outside masses with open arms during hunting season,for the cash. Then it's bad mouth the rest of the year if they are not 3rd generation dustbowler homesteaders. LOL

Lots of interaction on the Internet but rarely any in face to face interaction

6) Having to continuously learn new areas from absolute scratch without a single local buddy we can rely on to share honeyholes with. Seriously... you guys are stingy with them honeyholes!

10) Actually thinking that 1-9 are fun, worth it, and wanting to do it all over next year.

I was thinking this while I read through 1-9 myself! Ha ha so true.

Never had a bad experience with anyone on several trips “out west” (5 different states). Like most things in life, you get what you give often times. I am envious of guys that get to live out there year round, but part of me wonders if it would be less cool hunting if I did. The relative rarity of the opportunity for me (once a year basically) turns it into something really special that I get to look forward to and think about all year long. Like 8:00am on a Saturday morning in early January, for instance.:)

The tension between locals and outsiders is part of human nature. Even residents view other residents as outsiders. It is not difficult to know where someone resides generally in MT by the numbers on the license plate. In my case for many years, the number on my truck's plates, told others I was from the biggest city/town in the state. That will bring a backlash at times when you are far from home hunting or fishing. Frankly, it never bothered me. If I was of good cheer, then things normally went just fine.

Now my plate suggests I live in a rural county. It is noticeable that the initial reaction across the areas I recreate is more friendly. In truth I am barely out of the county that caused frowns some of the time.

My advice for non residents is to make it evident how much you respect the resource, and local people. I know that the only time I take any offense from non resident hunters is when an air of entitlement is evident.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTLifer
Back