The different way we think

I have not had a negative experience with residents in states or Provinces where I have hunted : Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, North Carolina, Maine, New York, Quebec, Ontario, Saskatchewan. One time in Colorado, while elk hunting, I was driving a rental SUV with California plates. I stopped at a General Store in a one store town to grab a snack. Several locals, who were drinking coffee on the steps, stopped their conversation while glaring at the vehicle plate and me. When I told them I was from Vermont, they instantly relaxed and we had a nice visit. They explained (in their opinion) folks from California and Texas were a problem, as they were buying up all the land in the area. Other than that, I've had two run-ins with hunters from other states in Saskatchewan. Guys pulling into fields where I had permission to hunt, and they did not, to hunt geese. In each case, the farmer quickly sorted things out ! My approach, when I'm the nonresident, is to be the respectful guest.

Back