The Consequences of Corn

Ithaca 37

By now most farmers know what they’ll be planting this spring. And all across the country the answer is the same: corn, corn, corn. The numbers are surprising. Farmers will plant some 90.5 million acres of corn this year — 12 million more than last year and the most since 1944. Soybean acres are down by more than 10 percent, and there are similar decreases in wheat and cotton. The reason for this enormous shift is, of course, the ethanol boom and the corn rush it has created.

If it were just a matter of shifting the balance in already planted acreage — more corn, less wheat — a point of economic equilibrium might be found soon enough. The real trouble comes at the edges. This corn boom puts pressure on land that has been set aside as part of the United States Department of Agriculture’s Conservation Reserve Program. Since the mid-1980s, farmers have enrolled some 37 million acres of farmland in the program. This is land that has been returned to nature, and it is part of what Americans pay for through the farm bill. Much of it is unsuitable for crops — too hilly, too wet, too valuable as wildlife habitat — but when corn prices are this high, the idea of suitable changes swiftly.

Agricultural interest groups have begun to call on the Department of Agriculture to release some of this land from the reserve so that farmers can put it into corn production. The U.S.D.A. has temporarily halted new enrollments in the program, and though it will probably not release land this year, the pressure to do so will only increase.

Much as we like the idea of ethanol production — and especially the potential of cellulosic ethanol, from sources other than corn — it would be a tragic mistake to jettison two decades of farm-based conservation for short-term profit. Corn ethanol will replace only a small fraction of the petroleum we use, and if it does so at the cost of a new agricultural land rush, then we will have lost much more in conservation than we gained in energy independence.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/05/opinion/05thu3.html

Ok Ithaca, how does ethanol compare when it comes to greenhouse gasses and the dreaded "global warming"

To attain the energy needs of this country, some thing has got to take it in the shorts

I don't see any other way around it, but maybe some one will come up with the magic bullet

That's A-von to you, beotch !

So while getting this wonderful college degree, you never played volleyball, not even once ? (hint, when I set the ball like that, feel free to spike it)

I know what the articles say, I was wondering what YOU would say.

You toot the global warming horn like Al Gore has his hand up your ass, yet you post a cut & paste article about the dangers of corn production. I don't know weather to say "congratulations" for seeing both sides of an issue, or report you to the environmental nazis for not toeing the party line.

One of the most interesting aspects (to me) of ethanol production is the total carbon emissions and energy use involved. The technology is changing so fast I believe it will soon be an environmental plus. It hasn't been in the past. One key is getting away from corn as a feedstock. The newest plant proposed in Idaho is trying to develop a straw based process. There's plenty of straw left over by wheat and barley farmers that, hopefully, will replace corn. Another feedstock being developed is wood chips. Imagine using wood from fire management forest thinning and general logging to make ethanol! Imagine using cornstalks, grass clippings, leaves, and all kinds of agricultural plant waste for ethanol production! The downside of that could be less plant waste being plowed under to replenish soil, but we'll just have to work through those problems.

Just so I don't get jumped on for being in favor of forest thinning, I believe it can be a valuable tool in eventually having cooler fires and also in areas around structures where we'll probably never be able to let fires burn.

Ithaca

Corn has a high volume rate (to make feedstock), what would be the disadvantage to using corn for both?

I think utilizing any thing organic would be a plus in any new industry, especially in areas where organic material is extremely abundant

I was listening to the radio today on my way out to give the dogs a run and this topic came up

One of the big down sides to this is that it will only at its best take care of about 12% of the fuel needs

Secondly, there is only so much farm land available to grow corn, so other crops will have to be put aside to create enough space

This in of itself will drive prices of other vegetables up because of supply and demand

And lastly, the reporter was talking about us utilizing to a food source for the creation of a fuel which in of itself could create some problems

If the scientists can come up with a viable way to use brush and other organic materials, this could fix what ails us on at least the short side of the picture

Let me see.....whitetails gather to cornfields...turkeys also.....good places to hunt and get permission to hunt......it seems okay to me.

That's good until they clear off every fencerow and every patch of woods to be able to plant another few rows of corn. Kinda hard for the critters without any cover. It happend in SW IN in the '70s and is starting to happen again with the two new ethanol plants going in.

That's good until they clear off every fencerow and every patch of woods to be able to plant another few rows of corn. Kinda hard for the critters without any cover. It happend in SW IN in the '70s and is starting to happen again with the two new ethanol plants going in.

Ever been to NW Ohio? No fencerows or trees as it is on the farms. Only upland game there are pen raised birds basically. Not much for hunting them unless you go to a preserve. It has been that way for years.

Plus try getting permission to hunt on someone with a CRP field there. It is pretty difficult. If you do, play Elmer J and have at a few rabbits and a groundhog.

SE Ohio terrain is completely different but still only pen raised pheasants are around. Ruffed Grouse are here but have had a small population for quite awhile.

If given the choice between deer and turkey hunting over upland game....the upland game loses.

The limiting factor for wood chips as a biofuel is the distance it has to be hauled to be processed. After X miles it is no longer economical to do so. Maybe smaller scale, locally placed plants will be the future. There is also a growing use of wood waste/slash/forest thinning that is being used to generate electricity and heat buildings such as the Darby School. Even if it is an economical push, it makes sense to turn the wood into a useful benefit under a controlled process, then to burn it as slash or through wildfire.

As for corn, isn't there still some livestock nutritional benefit still left in the bi-product after ethanol production? Modern corn production is very dependent on oil, from the equiptment use, fertilizers, transportation, drying, ect. Depending on it to solve our energy problems at this point seems a bit like a dog chasing it's tail to me.

Kind of funny how Dubya can even screw up the Ethanol business and make it an environmental mess....
The Bush administration is considering relaxing restrictions, which would allow the plants to create more air pollution to curb oil imports, the newspaper said.

The Environmental Protection Agency often has to fight attempts to curb pollution from ethanol production, but as of March 22 the agency is reversing course.

The EPA sent the proposed rule change for final review by the White House Office of Management and Budget. EPA spokesman John Millett said he expects the process to be completed by the end of April.

Neither agency would comment on what the final rule may look like, or whether the administration is committed to making the change.

However, since the administration has indicated its full support for ethanol, industry insiders are confident the EPA will proceed with the new rule, the newspaper said, even though there have been complaints from environmental advocates and local officials

Nut- I'm just saying that with increases in corn prices farmers will start farming ground they weren't before. IMO, the Midwest is much shorter on cover than food, thus in the long run I don't think this will pan out to be good for wildlife.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back