Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

The camp have to haves

Flatlander3

There are forums galore on back pack meals, about some good old original camp meals. Whats your favorites, easiests, or most convenient camp meals? This is excluding all "backpack" meals.

Fajitas. Simple, cast and easy. You can do it in one skillet.

We took smoked pork chops with us into the Breaks. Vacuum sealed them and warmed them up on the wood stove or boil them. Fast, easy and filling without having to "cook."

Bear Creek soup packages - add a meat of choice and bread and you're eating dinner in 30 minutes.

Anything on a grill

Frozen Vegtables for ruffage, especially when it's forecast to be cold. Can't poop if you're full of meat and cheese.

Homemade meals frozen in gallon ziplocs or vacuum sealed. Chili, taco meat, sloppy joes, soups, meatballs and gravy, spaghetti, etc... i made all them this fall and they all were great and hit the spot after a long day of hunting.

They slowly thaw out over the course of the hunt and quick and easy to heat up, toss the bag when you are done. Can adjust size based on amount of people in camp.

Ideas are limitless based on what you like.

Polenta- pre made with lots of butter and cheese. You can fry it, bake it, or heat it up over a fire. Goes great with chili, steaks, veggies and eggs. Pretty high calories and fiber.

Chili is a must have. Otherwise, what's the point in forgetting tp.

This year we brought Korean BBQ pulled elk, spaghetti with ground elk in tomato sauce, and elk stew. Each prepared at home, vacuum packed and frozen. We only had to boil in the bag for dinner prep - low effort, little clean up needed.

Vacuum seal meals like taco, Chili, lasagna, etc are always easy...either boil in bag or make in a pot. Boil in bag is easiest clean up.

Mostly do brats made from an animal that I've shot on previous hunts (I use ButcherPacker spice blend with too much cheese). @Randy11 has a processor that makes great hot dogs. Get a small travel grill and a large propane bottle adapter. @Gerald Martin has made jalapeno poppers on the fire on several hunts...they are always delicious.

This year I took an elk sirloin and did a sous vide at like 135 for about 24 hrs, grilled on high to get some color then sliced thin for sandwiches

Last edited:
Tenderloins with fried spuds and onions.
My kids don't appreciate it as much as we do so I usually save a package for camp.

After that we seem to eat a lot of breakfast burritos. Wrap an extra in tinfoil and heat it up next to a fire during late season hunts for a warm midday meal.

Still super easy but canned chicken noodle soup. That and hot chocolate. Some warm soup and drink in the belly really hit the spot after hard days on the mountain getting back to the cold windy night.

I wouldn't have wanted to actually cook or prepare a meal but canned soup is another level about dehydrated. The frozen homemade soups mentioned above would be a great option if you have the cold storage for the duration.

We usually have plenty of stew, taco fixings, etc.. This year my brother cooked roast, carrots and potatoes and froze them. Heated up after thawing during day. Was a treat in camp.

Bear Creek soup packages - add a meat of choice and bread and you're eating dinner in 30 minutes
Cannot go wrong with these. Make a big ass pot with added meat and potatoes warm up on stove and can eat again nights ur to cooked to cook.

We also do the fajitas usually with grouse we get while chasing the main quarry.

We freeze chili this is always a camp favorite.

We bring along one dual burner coleman stove, so can't do the fun grill stuff.

For my dad and I's Nebraska camp this year we had:

Vac-packed Lasagna
Vac-packed Enchiladas
Vac-packed Flautas
Vac-packed Breakfast Burritos
Eggs and Hashbrowns
Venison Stew
An old NYS Chicken/Venison Chowder recipe
Elk Chili
An apple pie ... yes we ate the whole pie as a meal one night.

I think that covers it.

Bear Creek soup packages
Bake a loaf of crusty bread and take the cheddar broccoli soup.

giphy.gif

I'm a big fan of the boil a bag method. Favorites are really anything that you don't mind mixing all together - spaghetti, meatloaf w/ mashed potatoes, lasagna, Shepard's pie, beef stroganoff, pot roast w/ taters and veggies... Even though I have the ability to actually "cook" something, doesn't mean I ever really feel like cooking. Always just seems easier to put a pot of boiling water on, and take care of other tasks while dinner is cooking.

smoked sausage/spanish rice/beans
sausage & peppers/onions and red potatoes par boiled before frozen
slices of a real ham with mashed red potatoes and baked beans
elk steaks/spanish rice/beans
Gotta have on hand homemade pickles, radishes, baked goods, pickled red beet eggs, pickled hot bologna

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back