Thanks Mr. Outfitter...

Here is the first step

Montana Outfitter Board Complaint Website

Business Standards Division

The Complaint Process explains the procedures that are followed once a complaint is filed.
How to File a Complaint:

The Department is charged with regulating professions and occupations for the protection of the public as a whole. Although the Department does not represent individuals filing complaints, the Department will review complaints in a timely manner to ensure a complaint is processed and that the Board will take appropriate action.

The length of time for resolution of a complaint is impossible to estimate due to the various complexities presented in individual complaints. Please see Complaint Process for more information.

The following types of complaints may be filed:
Unprofessional conduct by a licensee;
Unprofessional conduct by a license applicant;
Unlicensed practice of the profession or occupation.

If an individual is unsure of what constitutes unprofessional conduct and needs a description of the various types, reference to Montana statutes and rules will provide an answer. These are found at your local public library or at the appropriate board site on this web page.

Drop Off or Mail to:
"Name of the Board or Program the complaint pertains to"
Business Standards Division
301 South Park, 4th Floor
PO Box 200513
Helena, MT 59620-0513

After a complaint has been filed against a licensed individual...

The Compliance Office will send a letter of acknowledgment to the person who filed the complaint (Complainant), and a letter requesting a response (with a copy of the complaint) to the licensee against whom the complaint was filed.

The Licensee may submit a written response addressing the complaint to the Compliance Office. The process continues whether or not a response is submitted. The Complainant is not entitled to a copy of the response.

The Compliance Office will notify the Licensee and Complainant regarding the date and time of any meeting during which the case will be discussed.

Complaints remain confidential unless a Notice of Proposed Board Action is issued, which is a public document along with all subsequent legal filings.

Looks a magic place to hunt. Sorry to hear it didn't go as planned, guessing you will be a little cautious in what your telling other hunters/guides in those remote areas in the future.
What were the elk numbers like in there? Much bugling? At least you guys cut your deer tags, backpack style, thats neat.

Was a pretty awesome place to hunt, 'cept for the company. Definitely wild and very rugged terrain. I think it would be worthwhile to go back for a high country deer hunt someday. The deer had already moved into the dark timber when we were there, which made them like ghosts. The outfitter apparently runs the elk to death from opening of bow season on through.

I went out and scouted it with my wife this summer and also did some fly fishing along the way. We did 40 miles in 4.5 days backpacking. I think she woulda held up better than my hunting partner when it came to the elevation and miles logged :). She just isn't so much into the cold weather.

The elk numbers are good based on biologist counts, but we learned while out there, they are as high up in remote drainages and in the thickest stuff possible because of outfitter pressure until weather forces most down. We were willing to climb for them, but my partner got a little ankle sprain on the camp move that basically shut him down leaving me on my own for most of week. The elk were very quiet and call shy, after rut, and being well educated.

Yes, in the future I won't be sharing any info as to where we are heading or what we are doing unless someone else shares the same and I can verify they are genuinely trying to be helpful. We ran into a couple guys on the way out (actually another outfitter that was heading back to hunt for himself with his brother-in-law) that said they know the Outfitter, don't think much of him, and said he is already not on the best terms with Forest Service for not keeping a clean camp, etc.

I will at least make a call/email to some authorities for what its worth to give them a heads up of my experience. Can't hurt, and honestly, I have no problems with Outfitters, have even used them for pack outs, etc., I do have a problem with anyone that is out there just to try to mess up someone else's hunt or trip out of pain old spite or greed; especially on public land that is there for everyone.

Attachments

• PA260439-1.JPG
    PA260439-1.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 1,418
A few more pics from the trip.
-Location where elk were spotted looking back over to where they were spotted from the day before.
-My fireplace and "fire starter/spirits"
-Frozen waterfall
-Trusty Steed
-Head of the Valley

Attachments

• IMG_0702.JPG
    IMG_0702.JPG
    247.1 KB · Views: 1,395
  • IMG_0707.JPG
    IMG_0707.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 1,390
  • IMG_0708.JPG
    IMG_0708.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 1,393
  • PA250432.JPG
    PA250432.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 1,408
  • PA300469.JPG
    PA300469.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 1,389
now thats my type of country to hunt in
know how you feel,,,here in nz i back packed into a rugged valley after thar to have a helicopter gunship arrive at the magic hour to blast at everything in sight,not only that he come back next morning at daylight to do the same again,,worthless piece of vermin he is:(:(

Was hunting Wyoming one year by myself. Left the trailhead at 2:00am to get above everyone else. Hiked all the way to the top. About 2 hours after daylight here comes a guide and his two clients on their horses. As they rode right up to me I thought, oh boy, here we go. Imagine my surprise when after a little chit chat the guide says let me know if you get one down and we'll get some horses to pack it out. Not all are bad. Sorry about your experience...

Was hunting Wyoming one year by myself. Left the trailhead at 2:00am to get above everyone else. Hiked all the way to the top. About 2 hours after daylight here comes a guide and his two clients on their horses. As they rode right up to me I thought, oh boy, here we go. Imagine my surprise when after a little chit chat the guide says let me know if you get one down and we'll get some horses to pack it out. Not all are bad. Sorry about your experience...

Thanks Ashers'. You are exactly right. I know they aren't all bad, the guy I ran into on the way out, was a good example of a quality guy. On their way in they were clearing the forest trail they could have easily rode around and left for someone else to do while they went on to where they were going. We stopped to help them for about an hour and made a good contact for the area on our way out.

There will always be people like that out there. I figure Karma always catches up; what goes around always seems to come around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back