Thankfully our National Park System has a surplus of funds...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just more waste. Also, an unneeded display that troubles me. We've never had to whip it out for measuring before.

You guys are funny... They could spend it other things... The fact that you think the NPS is fiscally responsible shows your total lack of understanding of how they operate. They blow money on some of the stupidest crap you could imagine, like all Gov't agencies.

I've designed 8-9 NPS projects both here in AK and in the Mid-Atlantic... The biggest waste I saw, was probably the "custom" timber/rock information sign. A sign that could have been built for $3-4000, and looked nice, was an $80,000 NPS monument. They needed it to be made from timber cut from the site, and rocks salvaged from the excavation. it wasn't some grand entrance sign, it was a sign in a friggn parking lot, for informational posters/maps and to hold kids life jackets. But at least they got a LEAD credit for "salvaging" materials from site.

The NPS is also notorious for negotiating fees down. They expect the best level of service for 75% of the price. The other 25% is for your resume.

Another abortion was a project I did for the DOD. They took a circa 1942 pole barn construction warehouse on a military base, and turned it into a state of the art simulation facility. It cost nearly 2x as much money to rehab the POS building, and add onto it, than it would have cost to just tear it down and build another. But they were able to appropriate funds for "remodeling" which are different from new construction. A $4M project that should have cost $2.5 tops. They could appropriate the funds so they did, and it was a use or lose it type deal after that. Another military project had interior finishes that would rival any 5 star hotel, or better. They easily cost 3x as much as a typical nice finish. We did probably a dozen projects like that for the DOD. It was criminal, IMO the way they wasted the money. The NPS here in Anchorage is the nicest, most expensive building in town.

If you think the government spends your money wisely, and could better use the money elsewear. You either work for them, or don't have any idea how much money they waste.

You guys are funny... They could spend it other things... The fact that you think the NPS is fiscally responsible shows your total lack of understanding of how they operate. They blow money on some of the stupidest crap you could imagine, like all Gov't agencies.

I've designed 8-9 NPS projects both here in AK and in the Mid-Atlantic... The biggest waste I saw, was probably the "custom" timber/rock information sign. A sign that could have been built for $3-4000, and looked nice, was an $80,000 NPS monument. They needed it to be made from timber cut from the site, and rocks salvaged from the excavation. it wasn't some grand entrance sign, it was a sign in a friggn parking lot, for informational posters/maps and to hold kids life jackets. But at least they got a LEAD credit for "salvaging" materials from site.

The NPS is also notorious for negotiating fees down. They expect the best level of service for 75% of the price. The other 25% is for your resume.

Another abortion was a project I did for the DOD. They took a circa 1942 pole barn construction warehouse on a military base, and turned it into a state of the art simulation facility. It cost nearly 2x as much money to rehab the POS building, and add onto it, than it would have cost to just tear it down and build another. But they were able to appropriate funds for "remodeling" which are different from new construction. A $4M project that should have cost $2.5 tops. They could appropriate the funds so they did, and it was a use or lose it type deal after that. Another military project had interior finishes that would rival any 5 star hotel, or better. They easily cost 3x as much as a typical nice finish. We did probably a dozen projects like that for the DOD. It was criminal, IMO the way they wasted the money. The NPS here in Anchorage is the nicest, most expensive building in town.

If you think the government spends your money wisely, and could better use the money elsewear. You either work for them, or don't have any idea how much money they waste.
Rob Bishop supports your comment. Why have federally owned lands at all with all this wasted money thrown at them. I bet the Wilks don't waste money like that, we should give it to them.

Rob Bishop supports your comment. Why have federally owned lands at all with all this wasted money thrown at them. I bet the Wilks don't waste money like that, we should give it to them.
What is your point? Bambi came on here and gave examples of wasteful spending that he has personally witnessed. If the president wants to spend 2.5 mil on a parade it’s a poor use of funds, But if the NPS blows it on expensive signs that’s fine?

Conservatives only care about the budget when a Democrat is in the White house.

Both parties have an agenda, and both of those angenda’s cost money. When the democrats are blowing up a budget the conservatives are upset. When the conservatives are blowing money on their ideas the democrats are mad. It’s a lose lose for each party.

Bambi comes on here and give examples of NPS waste he's witnessed - that's bad. But if (or, so) Trump wastes money - who cares???? Cuts both ways.
And apparently bambi (or the firm he worked for) was a gov't employee on the dole, or was at least willing and happy to take a cut - for the work done under contract - of all the waste spewed out by the gov't we're bitching about. Ethics, morals, etc are an interesting thing.
I am finishing a 30+ year career this summer working for a state gov't agency.
I ask people who bitch about gov't if they've ever worked in gov't. If they say no, I tell them they really have no idea how truly a wreck things in gov't agencies really are.
I also tell them to get off they're dead asses and actually do something about it - that's when their eyes glaze over and they ask what the biggest bull elk I ever saw was.
Lots of internet experts on these topics.
I am extremely grateful to be an American. I did nothing to become one - so have never been proud to be one. If you were born here and have some type of pride about that - maybe look up "pride" in Websters.
I get to do things in places like in Neffa3's photo and am damn lucky, and never take it for granted or experience no sense of pride in what I get to do. I didn't earn the right to hunt, but a lotta people worked real hard in the past to give me that opportunity - something that seems lost on a lot.
That lot is the typical average voting American sportsman I have been involved with for many decades now.
"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter". Winston Churchill. Has a ring of truth to it. Democracy must have something wrong with it - as our pitiful excuse for leader, loved by many, is doing his best to dismantle it.
"New" Sherman Tanks and all........................

What is your point? Bambi came on here and gave examples of wasteful spending that he has personally witnessed. If the president wants to spend 2.5 mil on a parade it’s a poor use of funds, But if the NPS blows it on expensive signs that’s fine?
This act is literally the worse example of waste I can think of. How is the hell can anyone who actually cares about the our public lands and natural resources not be pissed off about this? For those of us that have tried for years to get out public lands properly funded this is a helluva sucker punch, to have those funds reallocated for some my-dick-is-bigger-than-your-dick contest. I honestly posted this because I thought if there was one freaking thing that public land user like "us", on HT, can agree with it's that diverting funds, that would have been used to try to address the estimated $11.92 billion in deferred maintenance on our public lands, toward a bunch of showmanship that most of us won't even see, is flat out wrong.

This act is literally the worse example of waste I can think of. How is the hell can anyone who actually cares about the our public lands and natural resources not be pissed off about this? For those of us that have tried for years to get out public lands properly funded this is a helluva sucker punch, to have those funds reallocated for some my-dick-is-bigger-than-your-dick contest. I honestly posted this because I thought if there was one freaking thing that public land user like "us", on HT, can agree with it's that diverting funds, that would have been used to try to address the estimated $11.92 billion in deferred maintenance on our public lands, toward a bunch of showmanship that most of us won't even see, is flat out wrong.
I agree 100%. My point was that the feds waste money all the time. Whether it be Trump or the NPS. If there was as much reporting around the dumb shit they spend money on as there is for Trump’s parade we might actually hold everyone accountable.

Happy Independence Day to HT members. Thank you for exercising your constitutional right to dissent. There is a reason the 1st Amendment came 1st. This nation was founded by dissent, and dissent sustains us.

I have heard from nobody that sees anything patriotic in the current president, including hosting a campaign rally tomorrow for his neo-Nazi constituents. Bill his campaign for every nickel of the cost, including military and LEO expenses. This isn't wasting federal $, it is about stealing from America to fund a campaign.

I feel more patriotic now that I expressed my daily dissent.

$11.92 Bil in deferred maintenance . That's been building up for quite awhile, way before Trump's time. But let's jump on the bandwagon and put it all on him.
Nobody has put it all on him. People are calling it out as a stupid display of nationalism for him to parade his boom boom machines around.

Nobody has put it all on him. People are calling it out as a stupid display of nationalism for him to parade his boom boom machines around.

A toast to you my friend.

Happy Independence Day to HT members. Thank you for exercising your constitutional right to dissent. There is a reason the 1st Amendment came 1st. This nation was founded by dissent, and dissent sustains us.

I have heard from nobody that sees anything patriotic in the current president, including hosting a campaign rally tomorrow for his neo-Nazi constituents. Bill his campaign for every nickel of the cost, including military and LEO expenses. This isn't wasting federal $, it is about stealing from America to fund a campaign.

I feel more patriotic now that I expressed my daily dissent.
dissent, irrational dissent, but dissent non the less.

Happy 4th Comrade!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back