Yeti GOBOX Collection

“Thank you” Card for non-BMA landowner?

R.K.

With the topic of Montana making it easier than ever to thank a landowner for allowing access via the BMA program, I was wondering- what would you do for a landowner that allowed you to hunt without BMA?

Ran into one randomly last year while chasing pronghorn by Billings, and my dad and I got two- including his first- on his property after he offered access with no ask for compensation. What would you include in a thank you card that you mailed out to him, if you couldn’t make it there in person?

With the topic of Montana making it easier than ever to thank a landowner for allowing access via the BMA program, I was wondering- what would you do for a landowner that allowed you to hunt without BMA?

Ran into one randomly last year while chasing pronghorn by Billings, and my dad and I got two- including his first- on his property after he offered access with no ask for compensation. What would you include in a thank you card that you mailed out to him, if you couldn’t make it there in person?

A local landowner let me onto his property and I was lucky enough to shoot a bull, a few years ago. He's a friend of mine, but what I did was had a thank you card made. I had taken a picture of the gulch in which I shot the bull, and then through some internet card making site (there's tons) I had a thank you card made with that picture on it. In the card I wrote a thank you including how grateful I was of course, but also specificics of the geography of his ranch - the way certain places made me feel and what I appreciated about them. I've visited him at work, and years later it is still stuck to his cubicle wall.

I know one that was thrilled that their annual hunters brought a big bag of potatoes, being the hunters were from Idaho it made sense. Similar with a hunter from Washington bringing canned crab.
Another that I have given $ but it was a little weird settling on a value.

That’s nice that FWP started their “thank you” program. I actually sent off a card this AM thanking someone for staying enrolled in BM and telling them how much I enjoyed their property (more-so after killing a deer there on Sunday).

I’d send some snacks to the guy that let you on. Everyone likes snacks. Especially something local they might not be able to find easily.

A local landowner let me onto his property and I was lucky enough to shoot a bull, a few years ago. He's a friend of mine, but what I did was had a thank you card made. I had taken a picture of the gulch in which I shot the bull, and then through some internet card making site (there's tons) I had a thank you card made with that picture on it. In the card I wrote a thank you including how grateful I was of course, but also specificics of the geography of his ranch - the way certain places made me feel and what I appreciated about them. I've visited him at work, and years later it is still stuck to his cubicle wall.

I like to send thank you cards to landowners who let me deer and antelope hunt. I generally send cards towards the end of the season, but before Christmas so I can wish them a Merry Christmas along with saying thanks. I let them know if I was successful or not during the season and most of them call, text, or email me after getting the card wanting to see photos of what I killed. Even if it isn't on their property. So I am going to start doing this same thing from here on out. And this thread is a good reminder of how far these things usually go in building trust and goodwill and it barely costs anything more than some time.

Gift cards are always a good option. So are home-baked goods.
Well… he doesn’t hunt, didn’t really drink, and doesn’t go to town for restaurants much, so… Shipton’s?

Well… he doesn’t hunt, didn’t really drink, and doesn’t go to town for restaurants much, so… Shipton’s?

Maybe something a little more fun like a gift card to the closest movie theater or restaurant? Amazon card?

Frozen fish (walleye, salmon, halibut) has been very well received by landowners that have allowed friends and I to hunt. Ag producers often don't have time off in the warmer months to catch fish of their own but enjoy eating it.

Also, cards simply containing pictures of smiling folks with their harvests have been enjoyed by landowners. I've seen them posted on cork boards inside of their homes a year or more after they were received. For some, knowing they made someones day is more fulfilling to them than receiving a gift.

When I killed my cow moose a couple years ago I sent all the landowners that had given me permission a thankyou card with a pic of the moose, a bag of homemade moose jerky, and a gift card. Not sure how well they were received since I never heard anything from them (but didn't expect to either). A local land owner who has given us permission a few times gets a bottle of crown each time I visit.

This photo of the family ranch HQ is so beloved, it’s the center of the family photo wall. Photobucket (they have sales all the time if you can put up with their constant emails) frame and all done from the comfort of my sofa.

1698875783043.jpeg
Tie up some flies with the turkey feathers you found on the property (elk, deer, antelope, upland birds too)

Sandplum jam is always a hit. Or a really good hunk of pastrami off of the animal you harvested off their land is often fondly remembered.

Hand crafting >> store bought

This photo of the family ranch HQ is so beloved, it’s the center of the family photo wall. Photobucket (they have sales all the time if you can put up with their constant emails) frame and all done from the comfort of my sofa.

View attachment 299844
Tie up some flies with the turkey feathers you found on the property (elk, deer, antelope, upland birds too)

Sandplum jam is always a hit. Or a really good hunk of pastrami off of the animal you harvested off their land is often fondly remembered.

Hand crafting >> store bought
Love the saying!

I know what each land owners choice of drink is. Dropped off a bottle of crown this morning out yonder

The question was.....what should a person due to thank a land owner for letting you hunt? I can answer with what worked for me.
Don't wait until the next hunt season to ask permission. Tell him you would like to do some work on the ranch in exchange for the right to hunt. If travel distance is too far, by all means send a small gift or card of thanks.
I have offered strangers my ranch or honey hole in order to fill a tag, for free I might add. Everyone of them offered to help me if I needed something done around the place. One offered ocean salmon fishing, another brought me two cases of California wine the next year.

The question was.....what should a person due to thank a land owner for letting you hunt? I can answer with what worked for me.
Don't wait until the next hunt season to ask permission. Tell him you would like to do some work on the ranch in exchange for the right to hunt. If travel distance is too far, by all means send a small gift or card of thanks.
I have offered strangers my ranch or honey hole in order to fill a tag, for free I might add. Everyone of them offered to help me if I needed something done around the place. One offered ocean salmon fishing, another brought me two cases of California wine the next year.
I dropped a handwritten card and gift card the one year after hunting and not harvesting, but nobody was home. Left my number telling him to reach out if he ever needed any help- he didn’t. But ran into him the next year and got two antelope on his land with my dad. Life got rough for me immediately after that hunt, and I never made it out there to thank him. Wound up moving out of state, didn’t get to hunt this year, but still wanted to send something for last year. That’s the summary of things. I do like giving away fish, and have done it in the past, but not gonna work in this instance.

Depends on the location and what the landowner enjoys. Some get a bottle of their favorite booze, gift card to local restaurant, gift card to Canadian Tire, etc. All of them get a jug of maple syrup !!

Forget the card, give the guy a medal. I would write a letter to the editor telling everyone about this exceptional Christian ... but then he'd be swamped with everyone wanting to hunt his place. Counterproductive. I'm glad you are thinking of something to do for this person. Good on you.

Back